What Is Your Favorite Memory In Your Z?

gav240z

• Administrators

So whilst at lunch I was reading this article on my phone.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/03/junkyard-find-1973-datsun-240z/

and whilst going through the comments I saw this comment...

Paula was a fettered housewife.

Paula opened the garage door. The smell of old fuel, and dried grass on a lawnmower was thick in the air. “Come on, we’re going to be LATE!”, she yelled at her youngest. Soccer cleats clopped on the concrete. “Mom, you don’t have to yell at us all the time!”, her 10 year old daughter responded as she joined her siblings in the back of the blue Uplander. They were always late, ALWAYS. Every activity carried with it the prerequisites of being a stressfull, loud, unmitigated disaster.

It wasn’t always this way. Paula glanced at the minivan’s garage companion as she backed out. The Z was a relic of, not happier times, but a time where she once had freedom and exuberance.

After a few hours of disappointing soccer, and one $200 grocery bill later, the clan returned to the house. Requests to keep the 2 liter bottle of Dr.Pepper in the bag fell on deaf ears, and there had been the inevitable release of it’s syrupy contents throughout the cabin. She sighed as she got out, and leaned on the Z’s door as she watched her smartphone-equipped children disappear inside, leaving mom to tend to the groceries. All was now quiet as it should be, for this place was a tomb. She stared at the forlorn sports car. It lay there, hobbled by a decade old flat and boxes of Christmas decor piled on the roof.

She recalled how alive she felt the last time she drove this car 15 years ago. The L24 belted out a harmonious throaty note as she sped to a brunch date with her girlfriends. Friends who had fallen to the wayside long ago. Though it’s automatic transmission didn’t allow the 240 to be as dynamic as it could be, she didn’t know that. To her, the Z was crisp and handled spritely, compared to the LeSabre wagon they had at the time. Afterwards, the car sat for a bit too long, and the battery had shed it’s last electron. Attempts at a recharge failed. Replacing the battery in situ was something slightly out of her and her husband’s mechanical ability, as well as time constraints.

This was Paula’s relic. While some people hang on to a toy from their childhood, she had this Z to remember her past life as a wild party girl. There were concerts. There were all-nighters at the techno club. There were MEN, with the customary “walk of shame” in the morning to the brown Z. This car knew things about her that she would never speak to her husband about. The least of these things being the previous owner of the car. Todd was an ex that she still though fondly about. A mustacheod personification of testosterone. She suddenly realized she had been reminiscing so long, that the ice cream was probably melted in the back of the van, and the gallons of milk were as sweaty as Todd was that one time…

Paula and her husband Burt plotted the fate of the car over the weeks that followed. There were plans to fix it up for their 18 year old son Joey. But Joey vetoed it when he learned of the financial burden about to be gifted to him. He was a rebel without a cause, or a job, or even a destination. Burt posted a vague Craigslist ad with a single image. A herd of enthusiasts followed. They flocked at the prospect of a $2000, $1800, then ultimately $1500 240Z. Each one met the car with a grimace or a scowl upon seeing it’s hideous toupee, peanut brittle interior, and hackjob sunroof. Every time, Paula lost a little magic from the memory of her glory days. She thought that maybe she wasn’t as cool as she remembered.

“Just call somebody to tow it away.”

Which I thought was a pretty well written story and it got me thinking about what memories I might have of my S30z's later on in life. What will be the ones that stick out for me?

So I thought I'd start a thread about what your favorite memory in your Z is and if you care to elaborate on why?

FYI: The junkyard special ended up being picked clean by junkyard vultures.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/04/picked-clean-if-you-want-240z-parts-you-need-to-work-fast/

A shame because anywhere else in the world and that would have been a car that got saved..

A zed memory (but not my zed).

Back in the mid 80's, I drove a red Datsun 1600 (which is my "relic", still sitting in my shed awaiting its turn for restoration).

I was out with workmates one night, and met a girl who went to school with one of the guys I was out with (no, its not going to be THAT sort of memory......). Asked her out, and made arrangements to pick her up a few days later. "Pick you up at 7:30, keep an eye out for a red Datsun".

Went to collect her on the night, knocked on the door, met the parents, and we started walking down the street to where I'd parked. She seemed to be looking for something, and went to walk straight past my tatty old 1600. Seemed slightly surprised (some might say disappointed) when I opened the door and ushered her into the old 1600.

Turns out that she had asked the guy she knew and that I worked with all about me, including where I lived. She then did a drive-by one night with one of her girlfriends and spotted my brother's freshly done up 2 seater 260Z parked out the front, looking immaculate in its fresh Toyota red mica metallic paint. That's right, another red Datsun, which she had assumed was mine.

She is now the missus.

Edited by 1600dave

Mine was the drive home for the first time.

I had bought my bus under the condition it came with rego, it hadn't been registered in around 20 years.

It had been given a cheap nasty respray, the whole car had been stripped, and the previous owner was in the process of re assembly. We agreed that he would give it to his mechanic, who would get it ready for a blue slip in 3 weeks time. This would include a full service, fix brakes, clutch all the other things needed when a car had been sitting for 20 odd years where all the seals had failed and leaked.

3 weeks passed, and i met him at the local RTA, i had the green slip in fist, he drove up in the car with a blue slip. We went inside, i paid the rego and got it put under my name. as we walk outside, waving to the teller at the RTA with the brand new plates for our safe and roadworthy car, he scratched his head and mumbled under his voice that id need to help him push start the car out of the car park.......i kid you not, flat battery and alternator playing up.......

So we bolt on the new plates to our roadworthy car, i help him clutch start it with my friend, it coughs and splutters into life, with many a backfire from the finely tuned flat tops. I jump in my mates car and we follow him back to his house to complete the deal....... First few things i notice, no brake lights work, no indicators work (he is putting his arm out the window to indicate). Its blowing smoke like a chimey on take off due to old valve stem seals.... i mean its bad! -So much for a legit blue slip right?

We get back to his, i pay the cash, i jump in and start the 40km drive back home through Sydney traffic. First thing i notice, speedo doesn't work........ no temp gauge, no oil pressure, no fuel gauge..... well its safe to say only the tacho worked.... Every set of lights she wanted to stall, i had to keep the revs up at idle. I started getting sleepy due to the exhaust leak (it had snapped exhaust studs front and back of motor). As i was heading down Great western highway i hit a massive pot hole and the side mirror fell off, i looked in the rear view mirror as saw it tumbling down the road into the gutter.... well no time to stop now! i had to press on! ( on later inspection, due to the same treatment on the passenger side mirror, it had been held on with race tape!)

It backfired and spluttered all the time under acceleration, it had a mad diff clunk under deceleration, and despite all this at every set of lights, someone would give me the thumbs up or want to talk through the window. I even had a bloke who was walking on the footpath, while at a traffic light, come onto the road, stick his head through the window and say "wow i haven't seen one of these in years!!!" and proceed to have a quick chat until the lights went green.

It was the most exhilarating drive ever, the whole time i had the biggest smile on my face, The car was the biggest turd on the road, but it was my turd, it had so much character, so much soul!!! from that drive on i was hooked.

I spent the next 6 months fixing all the electrical issues and some mechanical things as i drove it to work and back once a week before i tore her down for the restoration.

Cant wait to get her finished to get that smile on my face again!

Rudolf.

• Moderators

Hi Rudi,

Great tale, I am sure a few of us on here can relate to driving cars that have just passed "roadworthy" LOL.

My greatest Z memory was being asked to fit a stereo to mates mothers 2+2 then she said take it for a decent drive if you like, anyway after getting back from Newcastle I was hooked. Just took way to many years ( nearly 30) to get my own Bus.

Cheers

That's a great idea!. I was going to suggest earlier in the week a thread about your Earliest Picture of your Z, but this idea (story) AND the earliest picture, can be combined.

There are so many wonderful stories, having owned a 240Z since I was 17-18 in the late 80's. My 1st Z was a Black 1971 (below), too many stories, way too many for here. My 2nd 240 (1990-91) was also very exciting and my 1st attempt at tripples (pulled dellortos from a local Alfa wrecker for $100 each done the whole thing on my own...very badly). Around that time, I was studding and there was a business called "One Day Auto Paint" in Sydneys Silverwater. They advertised heavily on TV with $499 drive in and out paint jobs (literally) and $699 for a 'premium' job. I wanted to respray my Z and having checked them out, I was not going to let the owner or his staff touch my car. I convinced the owner to let me prep my car in his shop for small amount of $ and I would just let him paint it in their booth (painter was OK, preparation was shocking!)

After he saw me working for a few weekends on my car, he asked me to lead his "exclusive" paint section for high-end cars. We agreed on a rate and I had a weekend job (they ware open 7 days). My first project?..Old XJS Jag. I met the owner, he briefed me on his baby and how perfect he wanted the body to look, the owner introduced me as the "golden child" and bragged about the quality of finish on my Z parked outside and declared that I would deliver same result on his XJS....Five minutes after the XJS owner left, I was briefed by the paint shop owner..."rub it down, bog it up and spray putty all over"...I lasted 1 day and left... :)

post-100533-0-36927000-1441457244_thumb.jpg

post-100533-0-43881300-1441457259_thumb.jpg

post-100533-0-38092100-1441457273_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240Z_au

My favorite memory is similar to CroS13's (though I got home with both my mirrors)

I had always loved Zed's and my first car was a 1976 260z 2+2 which i loved and had some great times in. I had always wanted a 240z and one day I came across a very nice looking 240z on carsales. Only problem was it was in Melbourne and I live in Adelaide. I rang the owner and after a lengthy chat agreed to put down a deposit and fly over and have a look at the car. At this stage I had a Plan A which was to buy the car and drive back but no plan B if I decided not to buy it once inspected. I organised a movement registration as it wasnt registered (cementing the lack of need for Plan B) and bought some plane tickets. 

I arrived and after about 1hr of inspecting I had bought the car and was on my way home. 100m down the street a young kid yelled from the side of the road "I like you car mate!" and i knew id made the right decision.

The L24 had a draw threw carbie turbo setup which was very fussy, too much acceleration before boost and it would back fire from both ends and scare the crap out of anybody within 50m, including myself. The shocks were gone so the ride was pretty rough and every time I changed down gears it made a noise like shaking a glass jar of bolts but I was flying along none the less. Literally flying as I hadn't realized it was in MPH and was doing 90-100mph. Getting petrol (which was frequent) required negotiating every time as I had no plates, until I was in the country then nobody seemed to care.

Roughly 8hrs later I arrived back in Adelaide with the sorest face as I had spent the whole time grinning. 

Yes, I prepped the body and got the One Day Auto Paint to spray it in their booth. It was Indy short Porsche Red (Guards Red). Porsche was my 1st love, but 240Z was what I could afford and then fell in love with. I painted many cars afterwards for family and friends (developed painting skill, mainly with 2K)...........BTW. I'm not a trades person and I have a Marketing & Finance background, but I think I was a body repairer in my previous life :-)........... The 1st Z ended badly as did my 1st girlfriend in the background. The car was stolen from under a local night club one Saturday night and smashed against the car park wall. (cracked block, bent steering and all..Still have plenty of pictures)...I bought the car for $4,500 (it was a 17 year old car then) and got $5,500 from Insurance AND kept the car which I sold to a wrecker for $500 ;(

post-100533-0-65891100-1441458969_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

My favourite memory of my 260Z was the day I brought it home. I parked in the driveway and my mum came out, saw it and exclaimed loudly "my God Alex, it's beautiful!" Turns out she had thought I was going to go and buy another Skyline or something and was genuinely surprised that I came home with something as curvaceous and... vintage... as my Z.

Sadly my mum passed away shortly after. She might be gone now but every time I open the garage and see my car sitting in there I think of that time and smile, it's also why I will probably never sell it unless I absolutely have to.

I have a few that stick in my mind:

- Bringing it home.  Deliberately driving slower than the speed limit on the M7 just so I didn't overtake the towtruck it was on, trying to focus on both the road ahead AND at looking at MY car that I had been dreaming of owning since my late teens (Edit: I should clarify here I was in the left lane and not being a douche blocking the overtaking lane!!)

- Another tow truck memory (ummm pattern here). Seeing it come home after not seeing it for a few months while a LOT of mechanical work was done

- seeing it with new paint, interior and front lip for the first time after all the bodywork and interior work was done

- My favourite: A family moment all round - my daughter getting her booster seat and putting it in the passenger seat to sit in while my brother helped me get the engine running again.  One of those moments with people you love that help motivate to keep going on the car (my daughter keeps telling my wife that it will be "Daddy and me going for drives and mummy will have to stay home cos there's no seat for her")

Edited by andyk_79

Back in about 2006 after I had fitted the body kit to the 1976 260z, I took it for a run to Perth and down south. On the return to Kalgoorlie I was cruising along listening to the radio, thankful that I had air conditioning in the car, being a hot Summers day. I was near Southern Cross and had just come around a corner and had line of sight with the highway patrol car. Immediately his lights and siren were turned on as we passed each other. He disappeared out of sight around the corner and my immediate thought was "Should I, or not". Well I am too old to do a runner and there was nowhere to go so I pulled over to the side of the road and waited. There was a fair amount of traffic being the end of a long weekend and I was wondering where the Patrol car had gotten to. Apparently it took him a while to be able to turn around in the traffic. Eventually he came screaming around the corner with lights flashing and siren howling. I was leaning against the front guard as he pulled up. I walked over the Patrol car as the cops were getting out and he said, " It's alright mate, We just want to have a look at the car". With the body kit he wasn't sure what it was. I explained it was an old Datsun to his surprise, and then he and his mate checked the car out. After having a good look and chat they told me to have a safe trip as they walked back to their Patrol car. I asked, " I presume that you put the lights and siren on for a reason. I wasn't taking too much notice to my speed, what was I doing".   He said 128 kph. (Limit was 110 kph). He told me to watch my speed with a smile,and then he continued on his way.

Moral to the story: Don't make them chase you; be polite and friendly; and a bit of grey hair might also help.

Drive safe: David (Enzo)

Modified body kit

Coming Fourth outright in the 1987 Rally Australua, in our 260Z, that had only been completed three days before the event start.

Following year, the effort, work and planning, and the events, where we won outright, the NSW State Rally championship.

The rules had been changed so that only cars built to Production Rally Car rules, could compete, and we had thought long and hard, about what car would be best, and came up with the 260Z!

And yes, we did roll it over, got it back upright, and continued on the finish, ( minor damage see 2nd pic)

post-101049-0-07137500-1484181954_thumb.png

post-101049-0-51296500-1484181999_thumb.jpeg