15" tyres for 15X8?

74zzz

Hi am buying 15x8 rkrs next month however am struggling to find tyre selection......everything in r15 50 seems to top out at 205 at the tyre shops.........Was thinking of going r888s but have no experience with semis and their longevity for a mostly road going car..... any hints or advice? would go 16 heaps as there is heaps more selection but just think they look too big on the z....have big ol 17s at the moment so dont want the modern look with the next wheels....

year these pirellies are the only ones on my list haha.........I thought the R888 would be too soft and wear out too quick.......Decoy why horrible? thought they would be ok unless driving in the wet. I was still leaning to the r888 as the car will see a 150km dry hill run every few weekends so thought they may last a bit longer :)

I ran R888's on road and track, you won't get much life out of them just like any other semi slick.

Brilliant tyre in the wet, by far the best wet tyre I've ever had. Ok in the dry but when pushed not as good as any of the better brands. Also on road they will 'tram track' and 'hum' all the time.

Go see Craig Hornibrook at Hornibrook Motorsport, in Geebung.

On an 8" rim, ideal would be a 225/50x15.

He will have plenty, look at Kumho V70A, or he can get in pretty much anything.

Small shop, one man operation, low overheads, e lower cost tyres.

If you want just run of the mill ( not semis!) go see Option 1 Garage, Remora st Hamilton, they'll have a range of tyres in the 225/50x15.

A 205/50 will give you a lower sidewall, and cause the tyre to stretch to fit the 8", and wont be deal.

how would they go with handling hill runs and a few track days? that seems a lot of side wall.......

any street tyres do not cope well on the track, 60 or 50 profile. I ideally you want 2 sets of wheels one for street and one for track.

May be 16" for street?

thanks again jason.......im getting my rkrs from option one but will have a look at the geebung place for tyres also at the moment 2 sets is not viable so when i mean track i mean a few sprints nothing heavy duty just yet.

thanks again jason.......im getting my rkrs from option one but will have a look at the geebung place for tyres also at the moment 2 sets is not viable so when i mean track i mean a few sprints nothing heavy duty just yet.

OK. Stick with Option 1, tyey wont be full semis, but they'll be better than regular tyres from the shops that have no dea!

Paul is a nice guy, tell him hello! He might do a better deal on pricing, r he might charge more,,,,,,

If you are seeing Paul at Option 1, see what Achilles tyres he has. I ran the high performance road tyre on my S14 and I know a few blokes who have run the semis who were very happy with them also for both road and track.

I ran R888's on road and track, you won't get much life out of them just like any other semi slick.

Brilliant tyre in the wet, by far the best wet tyre I've ever had. Ok in the dry but when pushed not as good as any of the better brands. Also on road they will 'tram track' and 'hum' all the time.

I agree with this and the sidewalls are stiff as hell so you bounce around even more than a normal tyre. Just get another set of wheels and run the most track focused rubber you can on them.

If people think the R888 is great in the wet I hate to think what they usually use in the wet..... ;D

Another good Toyo as an allround track tyre would be the RA-1, if still available. I used them as my wets for the Zed and also as my hillclimb tyre, much better pattern for pushing water away.

If you are looking at a road based tyre with a bit of track work also look at the Yoki AD08, they go pretty well and are not that far off the pace of the proper R spec tyres.