240Z Running in Sports GT at QR this weekend

Scando

Warren Wadley, dunno, looks like he has graduated from HQ's. Maybe he bought that rough marque 240Z that has been for sale forever.

Good thing about QR is that they make up classes for anyone who want's to race.

I saw this to, looks like he gets along alright. Interesting classe !

The class is a Tasmanian class that I run in (or at least did run in when my car was going).  For the last few years it has been a support class to the V8 Supercars at Symmons Plains and a couple of times it has been support for them at Phillip Island.  This year one of the competitors struck a deal with V8 supercars to run a three round series at Symmons Plains, Queensland Raceway and Phillip Island.

The rules are fairly open, basically just has to run on semi slicks, the body has to remain the same except for body kits, carbon bonnets, etc, and the engine has to be the same number of cylinders and from the same manufacturer as the car.  It works here in Tassie to get numbers on the track.

That category has been running for years, it is AASA/QRO version of the CAMS category known as Group 2, a combination of Marque Sports and 2A/B/

Usually the majority of entrants are CAMS logbooked cars, but logbooks are not required at AASA/QRO, as they are property of CAMS.

All a bit political!

They also run a 300km enduro, with driver change,, same at Wakefield and Winton!

Never heard it mentioned before today, sounds interesting so are there details of the requirements somewhere?

Here's a link to the rules.  As you can see there aren't many  :)

http://www.mgtas.org.au/uploads/6/6/7/7/6677995/2014_tasmanian_circuit_racing_series_regulations_final.pdf

It's a similar concept to the WA street car class but the WA class has been running a lot longer and has much better defined rules.

Never heard it mentioned before today, sounds interesting so are there details of the requirements somewhere?

whaddya think Matty Ryeland used to run his Z in at Qr and Lake?

All you need is a cage, and few other bits/pieces, and right to go!

Heck, even those really quick follow the leader 20 seconds apart mb at Morgan Park could do this, easy-peasey!

Do they ever run that class at EC? I think they run marque sports, but that is more restrictive.

no.

EC comes under CAMS Marque/Group 2 Sports rules, slightly different, and relegates the Z's into a mid/rear of pack contender.

Better off to buy a Group S prepped car, and be up in top 10 consistently, much cheaper, and far more racing opportunities around the country.

As a bonus, you could fit 8" rims and slicks/low sems, and run the Group S car, in both CAMS Marque or 2B-F as well as in the Sports-GT category.

A fellow Group S reguoar ran his at Bathurst last February in the Sports-GT category that was run there, he had a great first time run there!

As a bonus, you could fit 8" rims and slicks/low sems, and run the Group S car, in both CAMS Marque or 2B-F as well as in the Sports-GT category.

A fellow Group S reguoar ran his at Bathurst last February in the Sports-GT category that was run there, he had a great first time run there!

Group S car can run with Sports Cars category but you must run as logged book, so technically you can't run 8" and slicks.

Group S car can run with Sports Cars category but you must run as logged book, so technically you can't run 8" and slicks.

You'd be surprised as to what some event organisers allow, just to get grid numbers up, if entries are low, can be an issue in Qld, Tas, SA and WA.

Technically it is supposed to run as Group S spec, but it rapidly becomes a valid 2F car, even with fat rims, that comply with 2F!

I for one would need more certainty, including official published national rules and car specs, before building a modified car to suit a class. It's all right for those who just want to play under local rules if that suits them but otherwise no. It does not help that CAMS in particular are not really interested in grass roots racing to suit all types of cars, despite what they say.

As Scando said the category running at QR on the weekend was the tassie series, they did a deal with V8 supercars to run at a few rounds this year. The rule book is fairly open.

My old car, and the replacement S14 are Marque Sports 2B cars, a cams category that has had stable rules with minor changes over the last 30 years or so.

Last year the prod sports guys got a last minute call up to fill the void left when a category pulled the pin on the event at QR.

The Zed in question would probably not comply with 2B rules, though they are very free in comparison to 2F and group S, for historics. They main killer for Zeds is the requirement to have to run the L series engine, which means they aren't as quick, or anywhere as cheap as a modern to build and run.

The biggest problem most have in finding somewhere to run is that they build a car first and then find that it doesn't comply with any rules except sprints. Some categories will let you run as an invited car to increase numbers on the track, and some won't. In Qld prodsports they allow non complying cars that fit the spirit of the rules, but fall outside the 2B, 2F and new GT group to run as invited cars, one example is Cal Whatmore's S13 as it is not an accepted car for Prod Sports as it is not on the list. Invited cars don't race for points in our championships and Cal probably wouldn't be able to run with prodsports outside of Qld.

When ever i have built a car I decided what category best fit the car and then built to those rules. One example was my old 180B SSS. It started life as a 3F touring car, street sedans in NSW and basically the same rules as the old Group E production cars. When that was developed as far as it could be within the rules, which ended up being an l18 with the factory bosch fuel injection it was turned into an IPRA car running an L18 out to near 2.2 litres with twin webers and a change of struts and a few other tweaks, basically PRC rally spec with track suspension that lowered it a lot and wider alloy wheels that were not allowed in 3F.

The zed was originally built as a 3F car also but developed into a 2B car by the first owner and I tweeked it from the original setup with better computer and some more mods to take weight out of the car.

All thr rules to build to CAMS specs are available on line in the manual of motorsport, it just needs a bit of research. The sports and touring classes run by AASA are a bit looser but the category mangers all have a set of rules, one example is modern sports cars, the start date for eligible cars is 1989 and the rules are based on the prodsports rules but with some differences so a car developed to 2B specs will not always be eligible, but a 2F car will be, so they can be used in both. This means I can't run the S14 in modern sports as it will be too light and I use plastic hanging panels, plus being turbo I am even more restricted in what I can do with the engine.

Richard, you could run your 280 as a sports sedan under CAMS as long as the 280 is an eligible model, which i believe it now is, the motor is less than 6 litres in capacity and cage meets the requirements of Schedule J in the CAMS manual, or to run at QR and lakeside you could run in sports and touring or the Outlaws category.

The biggest problem most have in finding somewhere to run is that they build a car first and then find that it doesn't comply with any rules except sprints.

This is why the class has worked in Tassie.  It allows people (like me) who buy/build a club car and then decide they want to go circuit racing to get out there with what they have.  It is also the only class you can race any 240Z in at a state round in Tassie.  It is a bugger though that it only really enables you to compete in Tassie other than at these select events supporting the V8s which Clint Pease has done a great job to get going.

In hindsight, I probably wish I had built an IP car to enable me to compete in some of the awesome events they have each year, but I don't really have the budget to race interstate much when it's $2K+ just to get across bass strait with a car trailer.

All that is needed for modified cars like mine is a national set of rules for OE platform cars that can use any production engine they like, basically that's it. That sort of car can be quite cheap to build and maintain and would allow a variety of low cost cars to be modified for racing such as various early 2000 BMW and Mercedes coupes. Put a LSx engine in something like that and you have a pretty quick motor car. Coupes like those mentioned are available for well under $10K, a LSx engine and gearbox from a wrecker for no more than $10K.

Problem with CAMS is that they are behind the times as far as recognising the big car mod scene which typically involves what's mentioned above. On the other hand the drifting and drag scenes are right into these sorts of cars. Perhaps that's the problem for CAMS.

My ZG replica is a good example of this too. I'm still running L series platform, under 3500cc and even a factory spec model in terms of aero. I would like to go out and punt around in the GTs with a half cage.

My ZG replica is a good example of this too. I'm still running L series platform, under 3500cc and even a factory spec model in terms of aero. I would like to go out and punt around in the GTs with a half cage.

That should fit in CAMS 2B.

All that is needed for modified cars like mine is a national set of rules for OE platform cars that can use any production engine they like, basically that's it. That sort of car can be quite cheap to build and maintain and would allow a variety of low cost cars to be modified for racing such as various early 2000 BMW and Mercedes coupes. Put a LSx engine in something like that and you have a pretty quick motor car. Coupes like those mentioned are available for well under $10K, a LSx engine and gearbox from a wrecker for no more than $10K.

Problem with CAMS is that they are behind the times as far as recognising the big car mod scene which typically involves what's mentioned above. On the other hand the drifting and drag scenes are right into these sorts of cars. Perhaps that's the problem for CAMS.

Yep,

Sports Sedans.

Go for it.

Very strong Qld CAMS series at Morgan Park, you can go play at the back f the pack, and slow

Y get used to it, then start knocking them off.

Thats what most do, when they start out racing.

No, not Sports Sedans which are quite different and way more expensive for a good one than the class that I propose. No fabricated chassis parts and no engine setback holes in the firewall for a start.

Actually I may think this through and come up with a set of draft rules for CAMS. I'm sure that they will be very interested  ;D

The most effective way is to get enough real numbers and form your own category.

Dead right, most event organisers at a state level will be happy to run any class that draws enough numbers.  The Sports GT class in Tassis started from tarmac rally competitors who wanted something to do with their cars for the rest of the year.