Lakeside Touring Cars

peter t

It's circuit racing,,,,,,

With genuine old original cars!

This is a huge meeting, plenty spectators, and very full programme!

The thing zccq did last november was just 13 cars following each other around in one group,with four other groups of other random cars also playing follow the leader..gone are the glory days of clubs hiring out Lakesde and rocking up with 80 or so keen members, as was done in 2010!

We got a static photo of all the Z's parked on front straight, in front f the control tower, with each driver standing next to their car, around 40 cars?

Brilliant photo, Aub Hugues has the riginal.

There is a limit to the number of car events people can and will attend as the ZCCQ has found out over many years, particularly when it tried to get involved in too many. Geez from memory there was a car display a couple of weeks ago, sprints at Morgan Park involving quite a few Z cars just last weekend. Which was pretty good by the way, not much following the leader at all but then there rarely is.

To each their own of course but I'd rather get excited about events involving Z cars :)

A pity I am off to Indo on tuesday so have been getting ready for that, would have loved to have headed up to Lakeside to watch some old shitters from the US of A battle it out as well as some old shitter Datsuns built by some bloke from Sydney in the 80's and 90's that though he knew what he was doing.....

From the stuff I have seen on the book of faces over the weekend was a cracker of a meeting, plus the Noosa hillclimb as well has been on this weekend so plenty of choice for motorsport this weekend in Qld.

This brought back memories of doing some practice laps around Lakeside in my 240Z as part of the first national Z Car meeting over Easter in 1990.

It was great fun, apart from being repeatedly lapped by some young bloke called Mark Skaife who was driving a showroom stock burgundy coloured GTR.

Hi Bonkers,

I was on the track with Skaife, but I didn't see Mr Kenny's incident.

I do remember being very impressed with the performance of the standard car, but who knew what a great race car they would become?

I hope you enjoyed that event in 1990 GoneZ .I think it rates up there with the best of the Nationals held over the pass 25 years. ZCCQ has put on a number of events at local tracks and one not so local with help from both Dat2kman and DET260. The 2010 lakeside event was just a bunch of members deciding to have a day of it and as word spread it snow balled into what it became .

Dat2Kman is correct when he states we will never see a day like that of 2010. But it is not the fault of ZCCQ. Queensland Raceways changed the rules so no club can have more than 2 groups booked and set the total of cars per group to at sprint days to 15 at Lakeside. So that is what we have to work with from now on. Its not often someone gets the best of Tetley and now it seems we are paying for it.