STORAGE AVAILABLE IN CANBERRA

Classicman

Hi all fellow Canberrans.

I have already hired two storage garages in Hume, and my Tii and Lotus arrive from South Africa next week.  I'm pretty bummed by the cost of storage garages here, and am amazed that no one has set up a storage facility dedicated to classic cars here?

SO, I have decided to bite the bullet and set one up.  I have hired a 450sqm warehouse in Fyshwick and will take occupation 1 August 2015.  The plan is to offer executive storage with all cars covered in high quality fleece lined covers and connected to C-Tek battery chargers.  I will install hoists when required, but there will be one communal hoist for all to use to service / repair their cars.

If there is any interest from fellow forumites, please pm me for more details.

Great idea and Kudos for the start up. Just be warey not to go too hard too early - ala hoists etc.  I beleive this idea hasnt alerady been executed as the population in Canberra doesnt demand specialized storage.... However, with the continuation and transformation to higher density housing, a niche market may start to appear!

Definatley word of mouth and some advertising at car shows/nats/local events would spruik interest and give you an indication of the demand.

What sort of $$ are we talking for storage??

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not going to buy hoists until the floor space is full.  I'm looking at charging $250 per car per month all inclusive (GST too).  Single garages at the major self-storage units in the area range from $280 to $490 per month, so I believe this will be a competitive solution. Most of the self storage units in Fyshwick are full!

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Nice I've thought about doing this in Sydney because I can't find any reasonably priced places to store cars etc.. I may need a service like this in future (especially if members actually end up buying me a 120 WHY) haha.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13853-120why/

How does insurance usually work in a situation like this? Do you have an insurance policy that covers the event of fire or other natural disasters? Or is the onus on the vehicle owner? What happens if a car is stolen from the premises etc..?

Thanks Gav240Z.

I had Shannons come and do an inspection of my premises and I have their approval.  Basically all car owners must have their own insurance and let the insurer know where the car is being stored.  The car is then covered in that facility.  I have to have basic liability insurance for the building etc, but that is the extent of my liability.

Access to the vehicle is strictly controlled, and we pull the vehicle for the owner before he gets here.  We have a condition report which is signed off after an inspection by both parties for now.  This will get quite tedious going forward, so we are installing a camera system with biometric access control for the owners to collect their own cars.  Everything will be on camera and recorded, so if there are claims that a car has been damaged, we can access the video footage.

Well done sir. I hope to meet you one day so that I can congratulate you in person.

I hope you are approaching other car clubs to one day turn it in to something like this: http://remise.de/Classic-Remise-Berlin-english-summary.php

When I was in Berlin I visited Remise and had an amazing time. Their model is one I would love to see established locally, even if on a smaller scale. If you've not heard of them please do yourself a favour and check them out thoroughly and if you ever get the chance to visit, TAKE IT.

This concept may not fit your business plan.

When I have the GTO finished (?) we're planning on doing plenty on 3-5 day trips out of Sydney, Canberra is a likely destination 2-3 times a year for various exhibitions, etc. Like other destinations I'm a little anxious about vandalism, etc, if the car is left at a motel or parked in a street for any period of time.

Would you consider overnight or short-term stays?

How far is your facility from the CBD?

What might a taxi fare be to the CBD?

Thanks.

Edited by PeterAllen

Hi PeterAllen

Fyshwick is not far from the CBD at all.  Not sure about taxi fare, I suppose it would depend on where in the CBD you would want to go.  If there is space available when you are looking to come, I suppose I can work out a daily rate for you.  Let me know closer to the time.