S13 front suspension bolt into 260z?

neRok

Does anyone know if S13 coilovers and knuckles will fit into the front of a 260z? I'm hoping for a bolt-in deal, ie no welding, but cutting and drilling ok.

I found some threads talking about 280zx, eg: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/76152-s13-coilovers/

and this is for a R31 which is apparently similar to 280zx: http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=S13_Suspension_Conversion

but nothing about 260z.

Not without cutting, welding or drilling.

And if you do install the hub & upright, what are you going to do about the steering rack?

S30 is rack in front of cross-member.

S13 is behind.

And if you do install the hub & upright, what are you going to do about the steering rack?

S30 is rack in front of cross-member.

S13 is behind.

This is the sort of info I was looking for. Is S130 behind, and hence why the conversion on that model is possible?

How about putting the left hub on the right hand side and vice-versa? I can't tell from what few photos I can access at work if the ball joint, stub and vertical arm are symmetrical on the centreline or not.

How about putting the left hub on the right hand side and vice-versa? I can't tell from what few photos I can access at work if the ball joint, stub and vertical arm are symmetrical on the centreline or not.

I don't have an answer to the question.

However I suspect it may give an undesirable KPI...

Be aware also, that if one 'could' swap sides with them, it will create bad Ackerman & induce more bump-steer (likely).

You'd also have to fabricate new LCA's as a par of the conversion.

Even if reversed hubs, the S13 steering arm positioning is quite wrong. S30rack position and pivot points of tie rods/ball joints, are way to narrow compared to the wider track and chassis rails of a S13 chassis.

It can be accomplished, but it will require a fair bit of fabrication and modification.

A S13 lower front crossmember fitted into an S30 chassis is possoble, but be prepared to run horrid +40mm offset rims, and flares, and have crazy neg camber due to strut tops leaning so far inwards.

Even if reversed hubs, the S13 steering arm positioning is quite wrong. S30rack position and pivot points of tie rods/ball joints, are way to narrow compared to the wider track and chassis rails of a S13 chassis.
Wouldn't this only be a problem if the distance between the steering arm connection and the pivot point of the knuckle increases? Are you saying it definitely is longer on S13?

Another question, what size is the stud/ball-joint on the S30 LCA, or how does it compare to S130 and/or S13?

Lengths are wrong, as are angles of engagement between S13 arms and S30 tie rod ends, the end of arm on S13 is at different position relative to where it needs to be to mate a fabricated longer S30 tie rod adaptor.

Hence my suggestion f grafting a complete S13 front end into a S30 frame, and utilse a SR20/2.2(?) DET engine/box package!!

I'm just looking for a cheap and efficient upgrade of the suspension. S13 coilovers are relatively cheap and lots of options, plus it seems you can stick the smaller 4 piston calipers from r32 gts and the like straight on to S13 knuckles. So that would be win-win, kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Stubmled upon this blog: http://www.driftworks.com/blog/2011/04/many-ways-to-re-skin-an-aardvark-build-update/