Classic car bubble

d3c0y

• Administrators

Haha, yeah I had a hard time following it also. The main gist I got was that some were manipulating the market price wise, but also many were offloading cars as being something their not to unsuspecting "investor" types.

No surprises really when large sums of money are involved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

https://gosfordclassiccars.com.au/closed/

Really the museum is more of a classic car dealership than anything else. A museum has exhibits with information about each car. It doesn't flog off those exhibits later.

I have little sympathy for them to be honest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Fairlady Z432 only reached $90,000 USD.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/01/21/bargain-nissan-z432-240z

nissan_432_101.ashx?modified=20190117204

The same car sold for $170,500 at RM Sotheby’s 2017 Amelia Island sale.

More than anything, the low sale was probably a case of the typical audiences at the Scottsdale auctions. There was a limited number of classic Japanese cars for sale, and the present bidders were likely focused more on the typical American and European offerings. Given the long-term prospects of this car, we consider this specific case to be well bought.

Not sure why people sell these cars at auctions that are not suitable for these cars, but why sell at all? No reserve?

• Administrators

Yeah I agree, good deal and price. Although $USD strength means it's still not cheap for foreign buyers in many parts. I actually wouldn't mind a crash in Z432 prices. Might actually bring them into range for a buyer like me. Although I doubt they will go that low again. Then again, never say never. It appears classic car market is driven by trends over time and what's hot 1 decade can fall out of flavour the next.

• Administrators

This is great news for Skyline owners. Wish Nissan would do the same for the S30z's. Their popularity is arguably high enough for the demand to come in.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
On 3/27/2019 at 5:19 PM, Post-Ironic said:

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/news/1903/nismo-heritage-program-puts-rb26-back-into-production

RB's officially back in production as well as R32 panels and the like - nothing new for Z's. Very likely increase the amount of "standard" R32s in the market. 

Believe it or not, this actually encouraged me to buy an Rb26 powered car. Given the ongoing support for the drivetrain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • gav240z pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Not exactly directly related.. but..

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/jb-hifi-fullyear-results-retailers-profit-up-71-to-250-million/news-story/d53d169e1b1f560ecf54e155024457a8

JB Hi-Fi has defied the retail doom and gloom and reported a better-than-expected profit with the help of strong sales of hardware items such as mobile phones, computers and audio equipment.

The downwards trend of music and DVD sales has continued, however, as the electronics and white goods retailer’s net profit rose 7.1 per cent to $249.8 million.

And although DVDs and CDs have continued its downward sales trend in the face of streaming services, chief executive Richard Murray says vinyl records are booming.

“The growing area is vinyl which (shows) people like to own things and touch and feel, and I think that does sometimes get lost in the conversation,” he told news.com.au.

“That’s what the power of retail moving forward is — you’ve got to have a great online offer, you’ve got to have great in store offer. And we think that is very powerful.”

My emphasis in bold, I think with modern performance vehicles becoming quite "numb" in feel and very electronic. There is a sense that a lot of the joy in driving is from the older analog experience. Now sure most of us don't want to daily drive a Z in traffic if we don't have to, but they are the artisan version of cars. The mechanical feel is what attracts us to these older cars and the experience (even if slow by modern standards in many respects) doesn't matter. Personally I love the smell of the old vinyl seats, the squeak of the clutch pedal, the creeks of the old battle ship (chassis) and the smell of rich fuel on start up (or with the windows down lol).

I think electric cars will become so good and maintenance free in future that us older car aficionados will still want to tinker, repair, maintain and explore what it means to own an older vehicle, much like the vinyl above.

19 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Not exactly directly related.. but..

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/jb-hifi-fullyear-results-retailers-profit-up-71-to-250-million/news-story/d53d169e1b1f560ecf54e155024457a8

My emphasis in bold, I think with modern performance vehicles becoming quite "numb" in feel and very electronic. There is a sense that a lot of the joy in driving is from the older analog experience. Now sure most of us don't want to daily drive a Z in traffic if we don't have to, but they are the artisan version of cars. The mechanical feel is what attracts us to these older cars and the experience (even if slow by modern standards in many respects) doesn't matter. Personally I love the smell of the old vinyl seats, the squeak of the clutch pedal, the creeks of the old battle ship (chassis) and the smell of rich fuel on start up (or with the windows down lol).

I think electric cars will become so good and maintenance free in future that us older car aficionados will still want to tinker, repair, maintain and explore what it means to own an older vehicle, much like the vinyl above.

This is actually probably why I am happy driving a manual again as my daily, even the brake pedal squeaks! lol.....but just driving a manual again has made my drives home more enjoyable. 

"the smell of rich fuel on start up (or with the windows down lol)." you mean windows up yeah? 8)

One of the main reasons I don't drive the Z more often to work is the lack of useable heater for de-misting, and some warmth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...