Classic car bubble

d3c0y

And yes, classic cars can be a good investment.

The right cars can be.....

But besides, they are way more fun than any other means of making money!

I got the chance to experience my boyhood dream car recently, a Lamborghini Countach. Even just looking, smelling and feeling it was awesome! 

Owner asked me not to post anything on social media though......

Although I wanted to yell from the tree tops, alas.... I could not  :

• Administrators

The right cars can be.....

But besides, they are way more fun than any other means of making money!

I got the chance to experience my boyhood dream car recently, a Lamborghini Countach. Even just looking, smelling and feeling it was awesome! 

Owner asked me not to post anything on social media though......

Although I wanted to yell from the tree tops, alas.... I could not  :

That's why I feel the Walkinshaw is a waste of money - never been driven or registered? How could you resist? If you're buying it as an investment you probably don't want to put more km's on it. So kind of defeats the purpose for me.

I recall when I got my 72 240z back in 2002, I was talking to a mechanic who worked at Tucker Rd Motors (in Bentleigh), he was doing the road worthy certificate on the Z. He told me, he had a Walkinshaw VL and sold it around $25k because he got hassled by the cops all the time in it. I'll bet he regrets selling it now. :D

Countach would have been a cool experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

https://jalopnik.com/the-classic-japanese-car-you-want-is-shooting-up-in-val-1825538522

It doesn’t surprise me much that the FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser tops this list. Everyone loves those and everyone knows how expensive they are today. In second place, for similar reasons, is the original Datsun 240Z, for similar reasons. It’s a legendary machine with an interesting story and racing heritage, something that’s almost universally loved and admired by car enthusiasts. Old Zs are great for a reason! But they’re also in short supply these days and have been creeping up in value for years.

The great thing about the Zed is you can drive it without worrying about putting kays on it and proper maintenance is an investment in maintaining it's value. Even judicious improvements can be an investment. All that is something you won't get with an exotic.

• Moderators

Countach would have been a cool experience.

They are quite an experience, but not exactly a lazy drive, and definately avoid having to reverse the thing.

One of the cars that is on my Lotto list.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems cheap, but there is no mention of the car's history in the article which would most likely explain the lower price.

Looking at what it sold for my guess is it would be a UK import or missing a big chunk of ownership history. Or both.

LOL @ the selling excuse, how many car collector drive all of their car often enough? Gav, you don't drive all of your Z often enough, you should just sell them :) 

"previous owner, a collector of fine cars, put it up for sale because he was not able to drive it often enough"

• Administrators

LOL @ the selling excuse, how many car collector drive all of their car often enough? Gav, you don't drive all of your Z often enough, you should just sell them :)

I plan to drive all mine more often. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Invest in VL Commodores haha.

I still miss my grey VL Calais that was stolen from me about 18 years ago!

• Administrators

You would think those with multiple ownership should have at least one dedicated to track duties?

Yeah nah...maybe in future. ????

• Administrators

Ashtrays and rally clocks are removable.

Actually I may know of a car that would be good to turn into a circuit race car..

• Administrators

Certain cars just get glossed over. It's a blessing and a curse really. Blessing because it means the cars remain cheap and so do parts. So you can often get a good car for a reasonable price.

But you may never get money back that you sink into it.

I've always liked the first gen Celica too, but I reckon a super clean original example could reach $30k+ at auction. We just never see them for sale at that level.

Right now I'm kind of keen on Chevy Corvair's "unsafe at any speed". In particular a 65+ Chevy Corvair Corsa or even the right Monza as a 2 door hard top coupe. Flat 6 air-cooled engine in the rear, super cool looking thing and they are cheap. In part because of a Ralph Nader. The early cars had a swing axle set up which could induce roll over, but was a little over blown really.

Later ones did away with that and had independent rear ends. I think they look great and the air cooled motor is super reliable apparently and probably low maintenance too!

Of course now that I'm getting into them prices will go up haha. They are a forgotten car I think, perhaps their prices will never go up?

Jay Leno says if there is a car waiting to be discovered it's the Corvair (he owns a Yenko stinger).

• Administrators

Not many in Australia. There is 1 on CarSales at the moment it's a late model 69 car but they stopped making Corsa's and focused on Monza's. The main difference between the 2 is engine power dashboard cluster and rear beaver / valance section is painted flat grey on Corsa's.

Everything can be changed of course!

I love the look of this 1.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxTp228sDrA552or2