Gordo

Gordo takes over the Peter Mac Build.

Great post d3cOy, we are pretty much on the same page, according to the books I have the opinion is that F1 cars develop a lot of their downforce from their flat smooth undertray with the rear diffuser working with the wing. They deliberately flow air underneath for that reason, 

The good thing about a Gurney is that it can be attached by a few screws so it's easily removable during a race day.

Edited by 260DET

To add a bit more to the rear spoiler discussion, quoting from a Competition Car Aerodynamics test of various size and angle flat plate spoilers, downforce at 180kph ranged from 150kg to 252kg, drag correspondingly from 8 to 59kg. Pretty substantial numbers eh. 

If you were up in Brisbane you could try my modified RX7 Group C birdbath I ran n my green car for a couple of seasons before we were pinged for it in Marque Sports cars.

It created a low pressure area behind the car that sucked the back of the car down. The edges along the side of the car also helped catch and prevent air from falling off the hips of the car, directing it to the flow over the spoiler.

Unfortunately for Prodsports the spoiler is too tall to meet the rules, but a cut down version to comply with the height restriction would work well, and I was pursuing having a legal birdbath built before the green car met its demise. 

This was evident by the amount of crap that collected on the back of the car when we came in off the track and the fact that with the birdbath, turn 1 at Eastern Creek was flat, with out, I had to touch the brakes to settle the car at turn in to get through the corner.

That's what makes Toms car such a great race car. Developed in the 80s, very well thought out car and a front runner back in the day.

post-101507-0-05132100-1514366537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gordo

The bird bath was about 300mm high measuring vertically from the centre of the hatch, so much taller than Tom's car.

For what my car did in NSW in the hands of John Hepher and myself in the mid 90's it seems to have slipped through the cracks as it wasn't the most powerful or built by the right people so no kudos or credi in the zed worldt, but it turned up to every meeting, finished in the top 5 pretty much every race.

It won two state championships and was run on an absolute shoestring. In 1997 when I won the NSW Marque Sports drivers' championship with the car we spent less on the whole season than one other competitor spent on the parts for their L series motor.