Jeff's 240z build

Better to be lucky than good.

Arrived home to spend the afternoon in the office only to find the delivery bloke backing out of the driveway having left a card in the letter box. So the rubber kit arrived. Had to have a quick look but there is paying work to be done so I had to resist the temptation to stay in the shed and go through it.

I ended up getting the complete weather strip and rubber kit from Z Car Source. https://zcarsource.com/complete-weatherstrip-rubber-kit-240z-70-73-new

its basically got everything rubber in it. Total cost delivered to my door was just under $1170.00. It took about three weeks to arive from when I ordered it but the shipping was only 5 days of that. When comparing what you get in this kit to the Rare Spares kit for $985.00 it was a simple choice. A few other suppliers in the US have comparable kits but the shipping cost from Z Car Source was very good.

Jeff

IMG_5361(1).thumb.jpg.36e86e3af59b3d65d1c63097120e229b.jpg

Edited by CBR Jeff

Car Yoga was the order of the day.

Finished off fitting off the heater and fan assembly fitted the steering column the peddle box and the dash.

Then moved onto finishing off the breaks in the engine bay and sticking some of the rubber bits down/on.

I must say I am impressed with what I have seen so far of the rubber components that arrived this week. There are just so many goodies with lots of small items I’m not even sure where they go yet.

Ill head off to work tomorrow with a new found flexibility J.

Jeff

IMG_5378(2).jpg

IMG_5379(2).jpg

IMG_5380(1).jpg

IMG_5381(2).jpg

IMG_5382(2).jpg

IMG_5385(2).jpg

Edited by CBR Jeff

Nice Jeff, really enjoying watching your car come together. We appear to be doing the reassembly process on our respective cars in a completely opposite way. Just goes to show there is more than 2 ways to skin a cat.

• 4 weeks later...

A few old friends were re united this weekend. Engine gear box are back in the car. Half the exhaust has been fitted. Both L and R quarter windows have new rubbers and have been shoe horned into position (that was a job and a half with the new rubbers). Plus a few more small jobs. Progressing a bit slowly as I have been distracted by a new ride in my life. Picked up a new MTB a few weeks ago and it’s so much fun to ride.

Jeff

IMG_6581(2).jpg

7899EDDE-F427-4E19-9565-77ABCEF43C1B.jpg

50 minutes ago, KatoKid said:

Sweeeeet! car and bike.

Meta AM 29?

Thanks Dave

Yep the Meta 29. 170mm up front and 160mm down back. Long and low. Descends like a  DH bike but still climbs like a trail bike. Bloody ripper.

34 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

Looking really good Jeff. I love that engine, bloody beautiful mate!!!!

Thanks Jeff. It does look very sexy.

16 minutes ago, JDM-TOY said:

Hey @CBR Jeff nice bike mate, Im going to buy a Trek Marlin 7 for some bike riding. 

Cars looking great too champ.

Thanks. Nice little hard tail those Malin's enjoy. I like the plushness of long travel suspension myself :-).

Jeff

• 3 months later...

I have been a lot distracted. Several work trips a trip to Japan a new MTBike and the ski season. Short update but not much exciting to report.

Several jobs along with gluing rubber seals onto the body. I have spent quite a bit of time working on the doors, windows, rollers, slides and latches. I replaced all of the rollers on the window regulators and had to rebuild the driver’s side regulator. Managed to find a good second hand passengers side latch as one of the springs was broken on my one and it kept locking itself when you closed the door. Still working on the wiring and have converted the old park lights to blinkers and wired in the park lights to be integral with the headlights. Latest project has been getting the original grill cleaned up and painted. A few new parts have also arrived.

Jeff

IMG_9905(1).thumb.jpg.058b3dcb787e9f3feb1ae2a2b980ba99.jpg

IMG_9904(1).thumb.jpg.3983930cc7bd3b60f5bf68339a739223.jpg

IMG_9906(2).thumb.jpg.2c6c89097e897f7d59b9cf806efc3d3f.jpg

329257176_IMG_9754(Edited).thumb.PNG.0a0bea4d1aedf7433e91564cfbd92e47.PNG

• 9 months later...

It’s been quite some time since an update. Unfortunately personally it’s been a tough 9 months. We lost me old mate Rocky and I managed to make a total hash of my shoulder in September and turned my left arm into a useless appendage. I couldn’t drive a manual car because I could not control my arm to change gears. So it was off for a full shoulder reconstruction and a long and painfully recovery. 12 weeks in a sling and lots of Physio. Luckily it’s almost back to normal now so happy days.  
During recovery I have continued to get small light jobs done as possible but I have been very slack when it comes to updating the build thread. 
mover the next few days I’ll post some photos and words about progress. 
Thanks to the members who reached out during this time to check on me and ask RUOK. Much appreciated. 

Jeff

New Door Cards

I decided to make my own new door cards. 

I removed the original Masonite off the top metal section and replaced with new Masonite. 
then covered the entire card with black vinyl. The old armrests I had were toast so I replaced one end with a webbing pull and inserted a bolt into the other end that helps hold the card in place but can be used to secure an armrest later. I used the fluffy side of Velcro to replace the window runner section along the length of the door card top. It was a bit of stuffing around but they look the part. Not perfectly original but period. 

Jeff

D7D816C4-0816-48D8-AE2A-8B0B88C2219B.jpeg

BDCD0E39-398A-449C-B752-0127DE06264F.jpeg

ADCF6590-4A6D-4E99-A2A1-61813E763D93.jpeg

CEB29592-7CE7-40C4-B21C-447105A6E836.jpeg

1D687D99-E382-488B-BAFD-7E0AF4B0E662.jpeg

Some of the other projects over the last few months have been. Renewing the rear luggage straps, making a new roof lining from some 5mm foam and black vinyl. Making all new roof and pillar vinyls and gluing them in as well repairing and repainting the interior plastic components and installing them.

Jeff

36D09901-EACF-4E6D-8A27-22212413E8DC.jpeg

31A40A01-DFD5-4877-A8A6-E75ACEF04973.jpeg

8A6E1F36-F00E-45ED-808D-DEE872D0887C.jpeg

CC407486-4ABC-4037-BA23-F27B91520F58.jpeg

DE49BB4D-ABA9-4430-BE3A-93336568FAD8.jpeg

Looking great Jeff! Really beautiful work mate! Everything is just wow! From that amazing looking engine bay to your interior work! Great effort all round!

And hey sorry to hear about rocky and your shoulder mate! If you every want to catch up for a coffee or even a mtn bike as a fellow z owner...always happy to check in and have a chin wag ok! 

all the best buddy!

wags

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 7:05 PM, Wags said:

Looking great Jeff! Really beautiful work mate! Everything is just wow! From that amazing looking engine bay to your interior work! Great effort all round!

And hey sorry to hear about rocky and your shoulder mate! If you every want to catch up for a coffee or even a mtn bike as a fellow z owner...always happy to check in and have a chin wag ok! 

all the best buddy!

wags

Thanks Wags. 
I’ll drop you a PM in the next few weeks for a catch-up. Im out of town the next few weekend. 
once all the Z’s are on the road maybe we could get all the CBR owners together. 

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

Spent a few hours getting carpet sorted over the weekend. Also took an opportunity to grab some ok priced new 15” rubber, 205/55R15. Bridgestone RE003, and had them fitted to the Enkei comp wheels I have had sitting in the shed for ages (years). 

Jeff

280A4018-D63C-452C-A6FC-29F5D9384A5E.jpeg

F7F80376-CBD6-45AA-AE2A-845CE9826C2E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time this week to sort a few things out. Went to rego and got a permit for the day for a shake down and test. Did a few laps of the block then off for a couple of longer runs. All went well. I’m away all next week so hopefully I’ll get to rego soon after. Still needs a proper wheel alignment, ride hight adjusted and a few other things but having it mobile if going to be appreciated. 
I’m still smiling!! Man does that LCR donk pull hard. 
Jeff

164A93C1-4EFB-4A87-A7DC-77B19403DF51.jpeg