240z 260z original mags wanted

Yamahacam

Hi, I was chatting to some of the fellas from the Zcar club Brisbane yesterday at the All Jap day and he suggested I try here. I am after set of wheels and caps to throw on my 240k. I think they would really suit it, can be ordinary condition but able to clean up. Let me know if you have anything. Thanks Cam

Just check out eBay, factory Z sets are regularly advertised on there.

Note: the factory alloy wheels were only introduced for Zs after the first 260Zs had already arrived, so weren't ever on 240Zs when new. But, that same '260' design was also used on large numbers of the 280ZXs, which also used a couple of other designs. So there are plenty of sets around.

Being 14" x 5.5" there is only a limited range of tyres available.

The wheel caps were a chromed plastic push-on design, & they often haven't lasted the distance, so they can be hard to find. They have a white 'Z' in the centre surrounded by a blue paint infill, which by now has often disintegrated. But as you have a K you may want to use something else anyway.

Alloy wheels with gutter rash or worse can usually be repaired. I've had a couple of mine that had gouges & scratches repaired & you'd never know.

It's not uncommon to find sets of those wheels painted over in silver, perhaps with black highlights. I'd advise you to find a tidy unpainted set & go from there.

Thanks gilltech, are there 2 different rims available. I was told there are 2, one centre sticks out further than the other. I am not fussy though. Not trying to be a tight arse but was told to post on here because I may get a set cheaper. The fella I was talking to said he had given a few sets away to people on here. I am not asking for freebies.

• Administrators

It's funny because for years those 260z style alloys were so common you couldn't give them away, but lately I've not seen many advertised. So you may have to pay a bit more for a set now. Although if you're patient you'll probably find a pair cheap. It's the center caps that are impossible to find in good condition.

I assume the wheels you want are these?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cranbourne/wheels-tyres-rims/datsun-260z-original-alloy-wheels-/1077120896

Looks like those sold, but can't tell you price I'm afraid.

The wheels depicted in the link posted by Gav are the only wheels I have ever seen on a 260Z and are the ones that have been on my 260Z's that I think were produced from sometime in 1975 onwards.

With regard to the alloy wheels that came with the 280ZX the two types that I can remember are the five (edit : should be 6 spoke) spoke and the "Iron Cross" alloy wheels.

I do not think either of these two types of 280ZX wheels came on new 260Z's and I do not recall seeing any original 260Z rims on 280ZX's.

I am not saying it never happened as this is a memory test for me. I once had a set of 280ZX five (edit : s/be 6) spoke rims on my rally Datsun P510 with a set of road tyres for the bitumen stages (same wheel profile with lower profile 14" tyres).

I know it is all a matter of personal taste but I believe the Iron Cross mags look sensational when cleaned up and given that you are looking for a Datsun mag of roughly that period (to be used on 240K?), it might be worth considering those as an additional option. Google search "Iron Cross 280ZX Rims" and there are plenty of images that show how these rims might look OR  http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/49026-280zx-iron-cross-wheels-a-set-anyone/.

Regards

Dave

Yes I've seen some sky-high asking prices for those wheels on eBay, when in reality they are limited in popularity due to their size. So shop around!

I think the 280zxs used the '260' style of alloy wheel for quite some time, & judging by the number of used import ex-Japan 280ZXs that I once used to see around everywhere that style was more numerous than the other two styles which came later, the 5-spoke & iron cross which typically came with dress-up packages.

IIRC the '260' style of wheel only became available as an option in very late '74, so the 'early' 260s (like mine) missed out.

The set I have retro-fitted to my car came off an ex-Japan 280ZX.

I'm not aware that there are 2 versions of the 260 centre sticking out...? could be???, but could just appear that way as while most used the push-on 'Z' cap which is quite bulky I've seen some of those wheels with the shallower metal 'Z' cap. Both types are hard to find in good usable condition today, but as you have a K you may want to use something else anyway.

If you've now got one, then maybe try & find a set of 4 now, so you have a spare.

Still on the hunt for 4 so as to make a full set but singles could also be the go. Offset is closer so I think is best to go for the 260 rim. But some of those iron crosses look pretty good. As for centres, hopefully I can sort something from ebay if I eventually get a set without centres. Thanks for the info. This is the car they will be going on one day.

post-16068-144023795456_thumb.jpg

Very NICE looking car.

Lots of people on this site appreciate the 240K and would like to see some additional pics and information about your car.

A clean set of alloys could really set this car off. Looking forward to seeing what you finally come up with and how the 260Z mags will look on the car.

Regards

Dave

Thanks boyblunda, will put some info and pics in the intro area soon. I used to frequent the classiczcars forum under the 240k section but unfortunately almost everyone has left in favour of facebook much to my dissapointment.

• Administrators

Thanks boyblunda, will put some info and pics in the intro area soon. I used to frequent the classiczcars forum under the 240k section but unfortunately almost everyone has left in favour of facebook much to my dissapointment.

I noticed it feels like a bit of a ghost town around there now, why do you think they went to Facebook?

Whats their bookface page??

Issue I see, is that within 5 minutes, any post on facebook scrolls off the page, and gets lost in the myriad of old pists.

Whereas a forum, with its sections etc, is a easier resource, and is searchable.

BookFace, kinda like yesterdays newspaper, is todays rubbish bin liner,,,

Totally agree dat2kman, everything very well sorted in classiczcars. Just hope now 240k forum is not being used so much they don't scrap it, so many years of trial, error and genuine experience.And I am sure you feel the same with this site. Wonder why our section took off on that forum and not this seeing as though america didn't get the 240k.

No!

That tyre was mch later. Orginal tyres would have had the old size designations, ie  BR70-14, ER70-14

And that rim above was an aftermarket Aunger, made in Australia, its design was such that if you rolled the wheel too close to a gutter, the edges that stuck out would get ground away!