1970 RB25det Neo 240z (Sold)

hazamat

fair call but as you will see with the lads that are buying these things now most arnt cash strapped 20 year olds and are looking/expecting to restore......comparing  240zs to slks and crumbydores is chalk and cheese and not even in the same class modern/classic or in the senators case a commodore with a V8 and plastic panels.....the types that go for those cars are not the same market looking for a z.  hence z prices have almost doubled in 5/6 years....... when I first started looking in 2005 could have bought a reasonable 240 for 6 grand now id be paying 15+ for the same thing. any imported gtr that has logbooks and low kms selling for 15k should read hi on the BS meter the lengths that some dealers/exporters/importers go to (ahem Phil) to sell genuine vehicles is astonishing. 

I think there is 3 types of z buyers........1)looking for original or restoring to original and willing to pay through the nose for it, looking for highly modified and willing to pay for it and dreamers that want either option one or two and are looking to spend 15 grand

The reason for mentioning those cars, was I was amazed at how much the market has come down on performance cars, they would have been double that a year ago, this car presents well and has all the makings of archiving a high price 35-45k if finished, but when you look at the price the 2+2  on e-bay with the rb in which still hasn't sold of 7k, and the price of Tim's LS 240 only getting well under 20k over a year ago, after looking at all the photos and comments, I would still be surprised if it goes over 18k sold as is not on the road. 

yep agreed but even with highly modified transplants few would want an LS z, just doesn't 'seem' right and wouldnt be one for most on this forum who are purists (generalising)......rbs are more accepted and desired in the z world as its still manufacturer specific and 6 cylinders....... v8 guys wouldnt normally consider a z as a project car therefore would most probably over look it or not want to decent money for it... i could be wrong though and lets face it......i hear the snarls already.... but a bus with an rb is not money well spent for looks or desirability :)

The reason for mentioning those cars, was I was amazed at how much the market has come down on performance cars, they would have been double that a year ago, this car presents well and has all the makings of archiving a high price 35-45k if finished, but when you look at the price the 2+2  on e-bay with the rb in which still hasn't sold of 7k, and the price of Tim's LS 240 only getting well under 20k over a year ago, after looking at all the photos and comments, I would still be surprised if it goes over 18k sold as is not on the road.

Hi Patch,

I offered $20,000.00 for the car and the offer was declined so that will give you an indication for what money he is looking for.

I would not say that he is trying to mislead in any way, he has been upfront about it.

However from the Zeds i have seen it is hard to find a decent one.

This car has Tail shaved but from the rust bubbles I suspect some savings were made there.

If it is a filler job then it is a clear sign that corners were cut during the restoration, I spoke to the z shop here locally and it is a common way to shave the back without welding.

On the other hand it is a 40 year old car so it won't be perfect.

To me 20k is a risk and anything above it is too big of a risk.

My mind boggles when it comes to prices of the 240s and 260s, I think a lot of people see the 50k and 60k cars and don't realise that more than the asking price was spent on restoration and it is finished car.

Like the white one for 7k or the red rust bucket where the asking price was 6k

I know of one in NZ that has over 120k spend with receipts and asking price is 50k NZ

Ps I recently found two matching number 240z "barn finds" and looking at another two this weekend - there are good base vehicles out there still.

Will post a thread on barn finds in QLD soon if anyone's intrested.

Quick question.

How much is the RB conversion worth? $6,500.00?

If we take that number and subract from the asking price it leaves around $18,000.00 for non running and non original vehicle. That is another way of looking at it.

I Think he would be better off finishing it and sit on it until he gets what he wants for it plus the costs of finishing.

Fix the diff, repair the paint, repair the interior, add some decent looking wheels, headlight covers and flares optional and its finished - ish.

i hadnt seen the new pics........that interior needs some work...... new seats and retrim........hmmmm....reminds me of mine when i first got it with blood red inserts and dodgy monza race seats (page 11 of the members gallery):)

Quick question.

How much is the RB conversion worth? $6,500.00?

If we take that number and subract from the asking price it leaves around $18,000.00 for non running and non original vehicle. That is another way of looking at it.

I Think he would be better off finishing it and sit on it until he gets what he wants for it plus the costs of finishing.

Fix the diff, repair the paint, repair the interior, add some decent looking wheels, headlight covers and flares optional and its finished - ish.

haha Im sure it is but for those that want a v8, a zed would not be on the radar for a vast majority.........most 'classic' V8 enthusiasts i know only care about straight line speeds, not throwing one in a 1000kg car and taking on twisty mountain roads:) you ever see a classic muscle car being tossed around corners?:) besides a race prepped one:) Also, i dont want to drive a zed that sounds like every other v8 falcon or como on the road :) haha give me the scream of an angry triple carbed l28 any day:)

RB25neo in and running and mod plated for $6500... oh yeah...

Hi Decoy,

To be honest I do not know what much an RB conversion is worth hence the question, it would assist Ash in figuring out how much the vechicle is worth.

Plus I would like to know as well.

Anyone have an estimate?

Hi Decoy,

To be honest I do not know what much an RB conversion is worth hence the question, it would assist Ash in figuring out how much the vechicle is worth.

Sorry misinterpreted your question, thought it was more of a statement. 44014 is on the money, i worked it out with him.

• Administrators

Yep that sounds like a lot more reasonable price for the RB conversion to me. I see people thinking they can swap an LSX motor in an FD RX7 for $12k. But the reality is it costs more like 20K to do the conversion right. People just have a habit of adding up the costs of the main items and assuming it will all come together for that price. The hidden costs is what stings most people, plus engineering, plus time, plus the cost of little fittings, hoses and components - they all add up quickly.

Hence engine conversions are expensive endeavors and it makes more financial sense to buy an already converted car like this.

I'm going to say that I believe this car is worth about $22k in it's current form provided the diff is fixed and the car is in road worthy shape. It won't appeal to a purist in it's current form but will appeal to someone who is looking at doing the conversion on their own. They can view it as a rolling restoration, something they can enjoy and complete on their own time.

• Administrators

Wheels on your car look similar to this, although a little bit different?

NZ_DRIFT_NATS_2600_800.jpg

Impul G5s by Hoshino Racing

photo here:http://www.official-automotive.com/index.php?do=/news/newsdetails/item_1049/nac-nz-drift-nationals-one-day-winner-takes-all/

?..........I know of one in NZ that has over 120k spend with receipts and asking price is 50k NZ

Ps I recently found two matching number 240z "barn finds" and looking at another two this weekend - there are good base vehicles out there still.

Will post a thread on barn finds in QLD soon if anyone's intrested.

You have details on the NZ$50K 240?..Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

It sold for $21,300 as is.

thanks all for the feedback and pm's

Well done and good luck with the pending arrival of number 1

Cheers

PB