Complete bolts kits - any sources for non-stainless

George

Hi guys,

I had a bit of a discussion about this in an earlier thread here.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,13734.0.html

Electrolysis and galling have been raised as issues, although there seem to be a few sellers of these kits out there now, so maybe not as big a problem as I had thought. Will be interesting to see how easily stainless fasteners come out in 30+ years time. If your car is garaged perhaps originals may be better?

Stainless into the alloy parts of the engine probably is not too good electrolysis wise.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

Galling is only a problem with stainless going on stainless; unless you mix grades like 304 with 316 or if you can't, there are pastes that can be applied that can prevent it. I'd be going for just the original zinc plated as it has lasted this long, it would last for another 30+ years. Plus, stainless in metric fine for the M8 and M10 sizes might be a tad pricey.

I like the look of that kit (quite period correct) heads of bolts etc are the correct size too. With most of the "Champion" brand stuff the bolt heads are the wrong size.

If anyone has the link to the MSA kit please post it here? Their site map is pretty useless.

Seems they don't list it any more, Gav...?

FWIW most bolts specific to early Zeds are still available new from Nissan, and they are not horribly expensive either.

• 1 year later...

i've noticed that zcardepot have one in stainless

https://www.zcardepot.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=7_44

and zcar depot only chrome allen sets

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/14-1005

does anyone know of a full set ( 1200 item?) in stndard zinc/cad?

i have crawled all over the net, and have found nothing, although i found (thru the forum) a couple of local supplier of standard size bolts, but I wonder if anyone has compiled a list?

thanks

• Administrators

I'm saving OEM bolts where possibly and will re-zinc / yellow chromate them. If I snap them or they are rusted too far etc.. I'll try and source more from a wreckers or similar. You can sometimes find them on eBay but at crazy prices for OEM ones.

I really wish there was an entire S30z fastener kit.... that would save a lot of hassle.

• Moderators

FWIW - Years ago I went to my local wreckers, an old style wrecking yard and got a bucket full of bolts, nuts etc. He had a 44 full them.

They all needed a clean and some were stuffed but I ended up a good selection of automotive nuts & bolts for I think $20

That collection is still serving me well to this day.

Just a thought

thanks everyone

did anyone get a DIY plating kit as part of the process?

I briefly researched this. You might save a few dollars but the time and space investment will offset that and then some. You're also handling toxic chemicals which is never fun and unfortunately the results are average at best from what I've seen compared to what a professional plater can do for you. There's also the problem of large parts which require large baths...

If you were to persist you might be able to reach a stage where you're outputting consistent quality results but the amount of parts you'd need plated for a single car restoration is not enough to achieve this. If you anticipate plating other items, helping out friends and possibly doing more restorations yourself in the future, you can probably justify the time.

• Administrators

+1 to what George said, another member here warned me against DIY plating kits saying he'd done it and it simply wasn't worth the hassle. For the cost of outsourcing it makes much more sense to take it to a professional. My own concern is trying not to get all the bolts and fasteners mixed up.

I'll see if I can find the post where someone basically said don't bother unless you really want to learn etc..

thanks guys for all the assistance

its more about the mix ups and the fact that most of the bolts are corroded, so not worth plating, so i wld feel like a knob taking 10 bolts to be plated.

i may try one of the bolt places recommended in the threads. from what i can tell ther are definitely "top 5" standard sizes that will probably cover at least 50% of the sizes

it just would be awesome if there's some pedantic, uber-detail guy that has created a full and defintive list

can anyone recommend a plater in melb?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

If you want original style fasteners etc.. just let me know which ones you can't find. I'm pretty sure if you look in the right places you can find a lot of the original style fasteners.

• Administrators

do you mean you know where to get a set, do you have the actual bolt sizes or do you have a set?

I mean if there is a particular fastener you want and style I may be able to tell you where you can source it if Nissan says it's NLA. Unfortunately I don't know of any kit that will cover an entire car that can be purchased.

Hey guys on these faster kits, I'm assuming most don't like using these for their builds to keep with originality?

Also what do you think of the pricing of them?

My impression of the kits is that they will get you 90% there and are not 'original' per say. The original Nissan ones often had numbers on top that indicate their strength etc..

I think if you were to price up bolts on their own and order them separately the kits would look like good value.

I'm probably going to retain what I can of the originals I have (Depending on their application, obviously engine bolts should be changed) and will try and get mine zinc/chromate plated to their original sheen.

Thanks Gav!

I'm not too worried with the originality of the smaller things like nuts and bolts on my 2+2 build. Given that quite a lot of my bolts seem to be mismatched and or rusted to the point of breaking I might just keep these kid in the back of my mind.