Wheel spacers safe to use?

hmd

Scrutineers will want to see it mechanically fastened to either hub face, or back side of rim.

As simple as a countersunk head single machine screw into a tapped hole, to retain it in position, in case wheel parts company with car, and spacer becomes a missile.

Scrutineers will want to see it mechanically fastened to either hub face, or back side of rim.

As simple as a countersunk head single machine screw into a tapped hole, to retain it in position, in case wheel parts company with car, and spacer becomes a missile.

Would you feel comfortable running 20mm spacers with heavier load on the track?

Plenty do, with longer studs, but, with the design of the Z stub axle to its flange mount, which is then attached at the bottom of the flange to the strut, the stub can and does flex the flamge it is mounted to.

Secondly, as the stub axle necks down from thick to thin diameter, it too will flex,.

Imagine you are turning into Turn 1 at Phillip Island, a Right Hander, what is occuring to the front left wheel, with its sticky semi slick tyre, is, it is trying to "Tuck" under, ie go into a more positive camber mode.

There are two " fixes" for this,,,

Hope these upload

Not Datsun items, but note the bracing welded at top f stub flange, to stop flange flexing out.

Second pic, is a machined collar to prevent round stub from flexing, it is carefully faced to correct length to allow correct hearing freeplay.

post-1524-144023788706_thumb.jpg

Ha beat you all, I have 50mm in front and rear.

Studs replaced with 3.5 inch long ARP 1/2 inch studs. Spacer then uses another set of 3.5 inch studs to hold wheel.

I run a 285 tyre and haven't broken any due to normal racing. Dump the clutch and you break shit.

LS1 track car (or sports sedan as some say - but without the budget)

It all depends on the offset of the wheel too, because if you are using spacers to run a +ve offset wheel you are just centering the wheel on the spindle anyway.

It all depends on the offset of the wheel too, because if you are using spacers to run a +ve offset wheel you are just centering the wheel on the spindle anyway.

Yes, I am just looking to get back to zero offset from a +20 wheels.

The series 2 280ZX rims ( five spoke, not Iron Cross) are in 6" and have a more suitable backspace, no need for spacers with those.

Get the nuts that belong to these rims.

If you do run a spacer, you'll need lnger studs, the nuts are domed end, just machine off the domes.

I have older style aftermarket 14x6 rims,  at $200 per set in 14x6 with the not so pos offsetts.

Would not use those in circuit racing, lnger studs, and slip on.

ARP make a very superior 1/2" UNF 20TPI stud, nuts are Ford.

You might struggle using those ones, they have a 66.1mm hub bore. I think S30 fronts are about 73mm.

Others may have a different opinion but, I'm not sure if hub centric is important considering the wheels are not hub centric why would you need the spacers to be?

I got my 25mm bolt on spacers from Ben at Otomoto

Great product and service.

You could try find someone with a 1600 / 180B (pretty sure they run 20-25mm offset with standard struts) you could sell your wheels to and get yourself some 0 offsets.

Cheers

Mick