PeterAllen

MAKE A DONATION to maintain this site - See the 'Home' page for details

You and me both. It will be good to have the site driven by 1 piece of software instead of multiple and have it all share the same database. Which will be a huge win in my opinion, it will also make adding new features a lot easier. Hopefully will also speed the site up a bit also with some optimisation stuff I'm going to try, but probably most importantly improve the mobile experience since quite a few people use tablets and mobile phones to access content on here now.

Minor update, so not sure if I mentioned this anywhere previously but after manually updating a lot of the gallery tables for individual albums, images and comments I then imported the latest snapshot of the current database and everything went pear shaped.

What happened is that during the import of the latest snapshot all the member/user IDs would be reset again. This meant all the references in the gallery tables were no longer relevant.

FYI: By snapshot I mean a snapshot of the database at a given point of time. Since the site is still running and live the data I import becomes irrelevant after a couple of hours when people post content to the site.

The solution was to create a common key between the tables that wouldn't change each time I imported the latest snapshot and did the database conversion. Since every user has a unique email address this was the common key.

Now all I've got to do is figure out a query that will look at the new member id compare with the old and update to the new based on a users email address. I'll have to do this for the albums and comments tables. Then every time I import a snapshot I just run the queries and everything is back to normal.

Basically it's a round-about way of doing things but it will work...

Just wanted to give an update that this work is still happening, just slowly.

Just an FYI, I am not sure how some users are doing it because for me the Gallery is broken in terms of adding new content. But it appears some are still able to add photos.

Please do not add photos to the gallery because these won't be migrated across (unless I manually do it after) but the current migration means that I've missed the last 6 images.

These were uploaded by imackz and zed24t

Once migrated across no problems, but between now and then please resist uploading more images to the album since I won't have the latest database snapshot to work from.

Good news, I've managed to write some scripts that fix the gallery tables after migration.

So I should be able to upload a test version of the new site shortly.

Good news, I've managed to write some scripts that fix the gallery tables after migration.

So I should be able to upload a test version of the new site shortly.

So are we looking to a UAT type exercise for a week or two ?

So are we looking to a UAT type exercise for a week or two ?

For those not familiar with the lingo UAT = User Acceptance Testing.

Yes, so rather than just dump the new site on everyone and expect everything to go smoothly, I'll upload it to a test domain ask people to have a play around with it and give me their feedback. If everything works fine. Great, but I suspect there will be some minor tweaks needed before everything is happy with it.

I've also got to add some scripts to the template and maybe change a couple of things with regard to the navigation buttons etc..

Also interested to see how mobile/tablet users react to the new layout for mobile.

Hi Gav

Nearly all of my forum time is on the iPad so happy to contribute to the testing on that platform.

At work we describe UAT as getting people to try and break the software.

"Can we break it - Yes we can" is often the cry from our UAT team.

Cheers

Gav, can you confirm if my donation has gone though - 23/8 @ 23..36? It came up with this...post-102224-0-27289700-1440337256_thumb.jpg

Hi Mate

Whilst I can't access the accoynt to see if the $$ actually came in, I would be confident that it did though for the following reason

- the error you got is the same I get, but my monies have always gone trough.

When he gets time, I am sure Gav will confirm.

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z

Yep got it, that issue is totally separate to the forum software upgrade. It's an error on my side. PayPal receives the payment fine. I used to capture the payment information on this end (viczcar.com) for reporting etc.. Then PayPal made an update to the software or return URL and it caused an issue with the script.

I'm going to fix it soon. Looking at options to integrate the PayPal donation with the new forum so that it automatically updates users to donating member status and possibly expires after a certain timeframe also. I'm thinking that I might make the ads on the site appear for non-donating users and for those who donate they get an advertisement free experience?

Thanks again for the payment. 

ith the new forum so that it automatically updates users to donating member status and possibly expires after a certain timeframe also. I'm thinking that I might make the ads on the site appear for non-donating users and for those who donate they get an advertisement free experience?

Thanks again for the payment.

Hi Gav

I reckon that would be well received, but banner ads don't really worry me. Pop Ups are very different story and I hate them ???? glad we don't have them on the forum.

I do have a question or two.

Would making that change reduce the exposure and thus what you can charge for banner ads ?

Can you make "Ad Free" or "Donating Member" valid for a tome period, say 12 months ?

Edited by PB260Z

Gav just as a thought, why not set up a section where members can sell parts etc & the proceeds or a percentage of the proceeds are donated to the site

I'm pretty sure a lot of members would be in favor of it , I have tried this & the members that were involved with buying the parts were quite happy to donate to the site.                                    

Regards: Alan..

Would making that change reduce the exposure and thus what you can charge for banner ads ?

Can you make "Ad Free" or "Donating Member" valid for a tome period, say 12 months ?

Last time I checked it was only a small portion of site activity that was "signed in users" and a smaller portion of traffic is "signed in donating members" so no that wouldn't be a big deal.

The web-stats I look at tell me that member activity on the site is really the tip of the iceberg, a majority of traffic is actually casual or non-signed in users.

The only issue with the donating members set up is that I've never had a good system for managing updating a user and downgrading again after a time period. There is a plugin or 2 I can use for this software that will do it though. So will look into it when I get a chance.

Gav just as a thought, why not set up a section where members can sell parts etc & the proceeds or a percentage of the proceeds are donated to the site

I'm pretty sure a lot of members would be in favor of it , I have tried this & the members that were involved with buying the parts were quite happy to donate to the site.                                    

Regards: Alan..

I've thought about this also, charging a small fee for classifieds but when you have Gumtree offering free ads I think I'd like to encourage people to list items here so members can take advantage of that.

However I'm a bit reluctant to dramatically change the classifieds for a couple of reasons:

1. It's the most popular section of the forum.

2. I think charging would reduce the listings and therefore make parts less available to members.

A smarter option would be a priority listing of some sort that gives greater visibility for certain listings. You could charge a small Premium for those.

Gav the intention is not to charge those that use the for sale option but to create a section where members can sell an item & the proceeds go to the forum or even if they give a percentage of the item to the forum once the item is sold. A lot of people don't buy off of Gumtree because there is always a possibility of being ripped off & they don't have any comeback.

Regards:Alan.

Edited by zeds4ever