Why you shouldn't buy anything from Edward "Scissorhands" Lee

dat240z

• Administrators

That article is full of gold, if you read it correctly.

WHEN I asked the man in the okanuis why he liquidated a business with no debts, he said: “Do I want to go to NCAT every five minutes and defend myself?”

Must be a long list of people he's ripped off, if he needs to go back every five minutes.

Mr Lee is a big fan of motor dealers regulations that began December 1, 2014. The regulations added a section to the form put in the window of used cars that discloses if a dealer “reasonably suspects” odometer tampering. For cars that don’t have log books and service history he circles ‘yes’ and writes the size of the reduction is “unknown”.

If anyone can find a car where Phil has circled and disclosed this information I'll eat my hat.

He’s less of a fan of NCAT — the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal. He said it was a “lottery” to get money from a company: “NCAT is a consumer advocate.”

Yes because let's face it, NCAT loves sticking up for the little guy. In fact our whole system is designed to bleed small business owners dry of revenue / income. LOL.. "I'm the victim".

Mr Lee disputed its veracity at the time and yesterday said other NCAT cases relying on such documents had been dismissed. Somewhat ironically, Mr Lee now provides such certificates to would-be buyers on demand.

LOL, the whole thing is contradictory. But show us said cases Phil?

Four weeks after the hearing, Mr Lee put Edward Lee’s Japanese Auto Centre in the hands of liquidators Armstrong Wily. That meant Mr Hart could no longer pursue his NCAT action.

and then..

There was no money for them anyway. There was only $1 of assets.

Yet a car yard full of expensive cars such as split screen kombi vans...Yeah I'll bet the company was broke.

Mr Lee told me: “Any smart business puts structures in place to protect itself from attack ... you don’t have your assets in the trading company.

“It’s not a phoenix operation because I don’t owe anyone any money.” I had not asked if it was a phoenix operation.

Reminds me of this famous quote.

Mr Lee registered Edward Lees Imports Pty Ltd two weeks before the regulation changes he believes give dealers extra legal protection. However, Mr Lee said the main reasons for the restructuring related to tax and employees. He declined to provide detail.

Draw your own conclusions.

He said he had 350 video testimonials from happy customers.“I’m not a bad guy.”

Gold. I wonder how many of those 350 video testimonials would be happy customers if they knew their cars had been given haircuts? Phil also deletes any negative comments on the videos on Youtube, also take a look at the Google Reviews you'll see a lot more negative comments. But I'm sure it's just a case of a few bad eggs..

• Moderators

Obviously the cars he had for sale on the yard were not actually the property of the business.

Edward Lee will close and maybe Phil Lee will open?

Most likely - a lot dealerships have their stock on bailment with a finance company

Edited by PB260Z

As a Director, he owns no stock, has no assets, possibly a heck of a lot of liabilities, but has made sure he has paid any taxes.

The ATO are ruthless, and will jail offenders.

Everyone else can get stuffed.

All assets, stock, valuables will be in some other persons name, who, most likely, has no dea at all!

Yes, as slippery as a sackfull of eels

• Moderators

As a Director, he owns no stock, has no assets, possibly a heck of a lot of liabilities, but has made sure he has paid any taxes.

The ATO are ruthless, and will jail offenders.

Everyone else can get stuffed.

All assets, stock, valuables will be in some other persons name, who, most likely, has no dea at all!

Yes, as slippery as a sackfull of eels

Shame the MTA and other governing bodies aren't tougher on offenders.

• Administrators

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/02/16/10/29/nsw-car-yards-raided-for-alleged-fraud

Nice one bruvva.

Three Sydney car yards accused of winding back odometers on used vehicles have been raided by NSW police and Fair Trading NSW.

Officers entered the businesses on Parramatta Road simultaneously on Tuesday morning, inspecting tools in the rear of work vehicles and interviewing staff members.

Two of the businesses raided include Dream Car City and Edward Lees Imports.

One of the card yards under investigation is expected to have its trading suspended immediately while the rest will be forced to show why they shouldn't be shut down, according to Fair Trading.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/02/16/10/29/nsw-car-yards-raided-for-alleged-fraud#R8dF8X37CJ8bh1WY.99

• Moderators

Will be interesting to see what happens next, bit odd if the other dealers can talk themselves out of it after a 2 year investigation + raid.

Agree, will be very interesting, but the legal system works in mysterious ways .

• Moderators

Maybe he will get his this time ?

But I seriously doubt it, there is another dealer in Sydney, was all over TV for clocking a few years back. Yes he lost his new car franchise but he is still trading & in the same location. Grrrr.

Edited by PB260Z

• Administrators

This video shows Edward Lees placard more clearly.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/sydney-car-dealerships-raided-by-nsw-police-uncovering-odometer-tampering-of-used-cars-20160216-gmvf1p.html#ixzz40Js1ESIK

I always wondered about Dream Car City also, I would see FD RX-7's, Evo's, Skylines etc.. and I was certain they were just as bad but hadn't been looking into them. Video shows a Spirit R, RX-7 which no doubt has been tampered with. Temptation is too great when good ones in Japan still fetch $45,000 + AU.

Funny at the end of that article is this:

Do you know more? Email lucy.cormack@fairfaxmedia.com.au

8)

Just got this email from Prestige Motorsport...looks like Gordon Farkus and his mates are going down...

In case you've not seen the news...

Coordinated police raids on a number of Sydney dealerships two days ago have resulted in one dealership, "Dream Car City", having its trading immediately suspended.

Prestige Auto Centre, Edward Lees Imports and Master Cars at Blacktown were also raided.

Those three businesses are accused of digitally altering odometers on at least 100 vehicles imported from Japan and will have to show Fair Trading NSW why they should not be disciplined.

Fair Trading NSW have been investigating the dealers for two years, following a tip-off from a consumer who was concerned about their vehicle’s wear and tear, and information from police.

A number of people are expected to be prosecuted by NSW Police and Fair Trading NSW in connection with the ongoing investigation.

Fines up to $20,000 are in place for odometer tampering, while those who knowingly sell or attempt to sell a tampered vehicle face up to 10 years jail.

We feel this action is long overdue and many dealers in other States should heed this warning and feel suitably nervous.

Not only does this illegal behaviour hurt the consumer but it damages the reputation of the industry. It also makes it difficult for businesses like ours that only source genuine vehicles and provide all original paperwork including deregistration paper / export certificate.

One of the very reasons we started our business 17 years ago was the absence of a reliable source of genuine imports.

Some news articles have claimed that deregistration documents detailing registration and km history are not readily available from Japan, however this is not true. For some years now, online services have been providing this document by email usually within 7 days, for as little as $50.

We recommend everyone considering buying a Japanese import locally, to obtain a copy of this document independently for their own peace of mind.

For those wanting the extra control of sourcing their own vehicle, we recommend using only an industry-recognised and licensed vehicle import agent. With a simple low fixed fee per vehicle, there is simply no conflict of interest in supplying the best quality, genuine km vehicles.

We would like to see the upcoming changes to the import regulations require independent odometer inspections prior to import, with the results included on a publicly available database linked to each vehicle's chassis number. That way anyone could quickly and easily access this information as part of their pre-purchase checks.

The new import scheme from 2018 must be entirely transparent with independent quality checking to eliminate conflicts of interest, protect the consumer, and ensure only the best cars are imported to Australia.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

The Phoenix is back. This time it's called Sun Rise Cars - Because the sun shines out of our ''...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord/cars-vans-utes/1976-datsun-fairlady-z-red-manual-coupe/1109898543

If you have any doubt check out the address.

71-75 Parramatta Road Concord, NSW 2137

All the inventory is Edward Lees.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-seller/Sun%20Rise%20Cars/1012903429

Seen him driving this Toyota Crown coupe around the area the other night.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord/cars-vans-utes/1970-toyota-crown-toyopet-coupe-white-manual-coupe/1109898995

http://www.sunrisecars.com.au/- Give em' a call and ask for Phil lol...

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 12.11.19 AM.png

Someone PLEASE email Lucy!!!  ha ha ha.  He might be able to get around the dealer licensing somehow but at least he can get called out on it.

• Administrators

The Z432 seems to have been sold;

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burwood/cars-vans-utes/1972-datsun-fairlady-z432-silver-manual-coupe/1102434012

I wonder if it was ever in Australia.

It was never in Australia, just marked as unavailable. (Hence the sold on Gumtree).

Someone PLEASE email Lucy!!!  ha ha ha.  He might be able to get around the dealer licensing somehow but at least he can get called out on it.

He's just set up shop, let him get settled in a bit and revert to his old ways. Then we can email her.