High ZDDP Oil Grades in Australia

240Z_au

Hi there..

Just completed 300 miles running-in period on my warmly tuned L28. With mild cam, triples and a need for a frequent 7000 RPM, I need oil which will stand up to the task. I saw a few recommendations on Penrite with their high Zinc content, but I see viscosity varies and they dont seem to have a 10W-30 which I'd like to use in my engine.  I see there is Valvoline 10-30W with high ZDDP, but they don't seem to offer this oil in Australia.

Thoughts/Recommendations on the above?. Who uses what in their modified/hard working engines.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew.

Look at Joe Gibbs,

LAT

Brad Penn

All have high Zinc, way way more higher than the so called commnly available "high zinc" oils in the shops.

I use Joe Gibbs xp3/xp6 in ,y engines, extend oil changes, by factor of four, oil ressures and temperature are a little more stable, and on engine tear downs, nowhere near the amount of wipe on bearing shells, compared to your "super dooper modern" stuff.

Thanks very much. I never considered these brands, my head has been stuck in modern engines for too long so outside the odd Royal Purple, I saw nothing but the mainstream brands.

I checked both the Brad Penn (impossible to buy here, Motorsport Connection in Sydney have no stock till Mid March and another supplier in Melbourne main number is diverted to a mobile)

Then I looked at your Joe Gibbs recommendation, but that's fully synthetic which I guess is where you get the clean tear down benefit from I guess. XP3 looks good, just not sure if Fully Synth is the way to go on an older style engine?. You run low micron oil filter?

So you all run fully synthetic oils?..The old 1970's recommendation was a 10W-40, but of course 10W-30 is thinner and will allow freeer spinning and get to the bearing parts easier, etc. I want an oil with higher ZDDP levels and I see Penrite states "FULL ZINC", but when you look at spec sheet it only contains 0.10%, whereas I'm looking for more like 1%+. I'm afraid mainstream oil manufacturers need to eliminate higher Zinc levels because they need to conform to the modern EPA standards so Penrite is out for me.  I hope I'm not getting too pedantic here, but I do hammer my engines and race them regularly so I need the best protection I can get for the older style engine.

Dat2Kman - Where do you get your oil from?

Current Penrite has bugger all zinc.

Its fine if you just want it for a daily.

I use a combo of 50:50 Gibbs XP3 and XP6, to give a little more viscosity.

Need to be aware of what you mix with what.

Do a bit of research on Diesel oils, different ash and detergent formulations, and higher zincs.

Thanks..Yeah, I agree re diesel oil, just feeling mentally not ready to run industrial lubricants in my Z :) , but I agree, they tend to have more of the good stuff. I may just go with your other recommendation.

So fully synth all the way for you?. Where do you get a good supply base from in Australia?

Thanks in Advance.

• 4 weeks later...

The Penrite 10 tenths range has at least 2200ppm ZDDP which is nearly double the Penrite HPR range. Ie 0.1% zinc vs 0.2%.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products-categ.php?id_categ=1&id_brand=3

No oils listed in this thread match that in zinc content.

I want an oil with higher ZDDP levels and I see Penrite states "FULL ZINC", but when you look at spec sheet it only contains 0.10%, whereas I'm looking for more like 1%+.

What info are you referring to that makes you want 1%+?  I haven't found any motor oil with zinc more than 0.2%.

The Penrite 10 tenths range has at least 2200ppm ZDDP which is nearly double the Penrite HPR range. Ie 0.1% zinc vs 0.2%.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products-categ.php?id_categ=1&id_brand=3

No oils listed in this thread match that in zinc content.

What info are you referring to that makes you want 1%+?  I haven't found any motor oil with zinc more than 0.2%.

This is a full synthetic oil. I've been led to beleive that mineral oils are better for the older L series engines ???

Also, 15W-50 or 20W-60?

I think you'll find that the Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn and LAT oils are the highest zinc content.

Commercially available in Australia, and come in a range of viscositys, or single weights, and in both pure mineral ( Pennsylvania State) as well as compunded Synthetics.

As for what to run, it depends on clearances and tolerances, and what type f kechanicals are within in engine.

Eg, a multi valve cam on bucket, or cam n follower with very tight tolerances, desigined for high rpm, ie  Toyota 20 V 4AGE would use a 0-20 weight range.

An older cam on rocker, or cam to hydraulic lifter, large soze  two valve head, bigger bore, looser clearances, ie a Ford/GM V8, or a Nissan L series 20-60 weight range.

Its quite possible to run a single weight viscosity oil, f you know what your ambient conditions are, and bring an engine to operating temps before use.

Heavy oils are sluggish and reduce an engines ability to perform well compared to much lighter weight oil.

It's never been rocket science.

This is a full synthetic oil. I've been led to beleive that mineral oils are better for the older L series engines ???

Also, 15W-50 or 20W-60?

Yeah, I had a chat to Peter MC earlier in the week and he believes that L-series motors do best with a good mineral oil versus synthetics.  He recommended Castrol Edge 25w-50 which is the only mineral oil in the Castrol Edge range. This viscosity is in line with what the factory recommends for L-series motors too.

I can't comment on its ZDDP content because they do not disclose it and google searches have revealed nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Current Penrite has bugger all zinc.

Its fine if you just want it for a daily.

I use a combo of 50:50 Gibbs XP3 and XP6, to give a little more viscosity.

Need to be aware of what you mix with what.

Do a bit of research on Diesel oils, different ash and detergent formulations, and higher zincs.

You had better look up the Penrite site Jason, they have had some high zinc oils available for a while now  :P

• 5 months later...

Reviving a bit of an old topic here.

Does anyone use Redline engine oil in their L-series engines. I've found some specific ZDDP levels when used with the break in addative which can be run all the time. See attached images.

The only concern is have is it states a minimum operating temp of 107degrees?

I use the gear oils in my diff and RB box and they are fantastic. Yes it is exspensive, but it would appear that it lasts much longer than most oils and provides superior protection. According to this anyway http://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear/electronics-gadgets/1102/red-line-long-life-oil/

post-101023-0-88002400-1447883008_thumb.jpg

post-101023-0-05448400-1447883028_thumb.jpg

I contacted redline and asked about suitability of their performance engine oil for a Datsun L28. I specifically asked about the 20W-50, their reply...

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your Datsun we would recomme3nd allowing the rings to seat with a petroleum oil before switching over to our product, we do sell the Engine Oil Break In Additive that can be used to fortify and increase the phosporus level for cam protection. Once the rings have seated the 20W50 could be used though likely higher viscsoity than ideal, if internal clearances on rods and mains is reasonable the 10W30 would be recommended"

10W-30 seems pretty thin to me?

In the case of the Redline oils it's all listed above in the screen shots.

For a 5ltr capacity their oil with 473mls of their ZDDP addative comes in at 2200ppm.

What are the specific figures on the blend you use Jason, it's certainly been put to the test so that should be a good indicator?