240z71

Hey guys, I'm looking for a 2 seater roof for my 240z

Needs to meet these demands

- no sunroof

- not be warped and needs to have a good shape to it still

- can have some rust if it's repairable but nothing to serious

- price needs to reflect its condition

- preferably in Victoria but that's not too important

I'm happy if it's a bit of a project if it's fixable because it would meet my budget better

Thanks guys

I'm not too sure how much of the roof you want (need?) but if it's just to fix a sunroof hole then any panelbeater worth his salt could do it with far less the time, effort and cost than attaching a new roof. Have you had a quote?

I notice you haven't listed your location and you are not a donating member - both help is you are asking for help!

A decent panel beater will charge at least if not more the cost of a new roof section to get it right due to the compound curves in the roof and a lot of welding if they are starting from scratch and having to make a panel.

I know this because I did the "fill the shitty 70' sunroof in" trick on my charger and refused to let the restorer cheat with a vynal roof. 35 hours later the repair was done to a high enough standard with a file finish, minimal filler and the curves in both directions right. 

I was also stupid because I was having no other colour than black for the car, so it had to be perfect......

• Administrators

I notice you haven't listed your location and you are not a donating member - both help is you are asking for help!

I've already been helping ;).

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=15572

He is in Melbourne from what I gather.

• Administrators

I know this because I did the "fill the shitty 70' sunroof in" trick on my charger and refused to let the restorer cheat with a vynal roof. 35 hours later the repair was done to a high enough standard with a file finish, minimal filler and the curves in both directions right. 

And at a conservative $55 an hour that would still be $2000 AU in labour. So a $1000 roof skin is peanuts.

I've already been helping ;).

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=15572

He is in Melbourne from what I gather.

Yeah I appreciate your help Gav, as well as everyone else's. I'm actually in the Vic/Nsw border town of echuca but have family / parents know people all around Australia .I'll do more on myself when I start a build thread once I get the ball rolling on the restoration. still gathering knowledge and equipment. I'll also make sure to make a donation as well. As for my roof the other reason I'd prefer a new skin and not filling it in is because its massive,its more a moon roof not a sunroof. It wasn't a glass one it was a fold back fabric cloth one. Doubt it's even possible because of how warped the surrounding metal is and how big the hole is

Thanks guys,

And at a conservative $55 an hour that would still be $2000 AU in labour. So a $1000 roof skin is peanuts.

A pukka restoration old school shop Gav, so that figure is at around $90 an hour, but wait until you see the finished car in colour, you see where near $60k has gone.....

Yeah I appreciate your help Gav, as well as everyone else's. I'm actually in the Vic/Nsw border town of echuca but have family / parents know people all around Australia .I'll do more on myself when I start a build thread once I get the ball rolling on the restoration. still gathering knowledge and equipment. I'll also make sure to make a donation as well. As for my roof the other reason I'd prefer a new skin and not filling it in is because its massive,its more a moon roof not a sunroof. It wasn't a glass one it was a fold back fabric cloth one. Doubt it's even possible because of how warped the surrounding metal is and how big the hole is

Thanks guys,

In that case, look for a new roof.

There is a member on the Gold Coast, Patch that has a few bodies, including my old very broken race shell, he may have something suitable for you to use as a roof donor. The roof in the race shell I bent would be suitable to replace your moon roof.

I thought Patch ended up getting rid of the bodies awhile back? I know I was interested in them but something maybe me forget about them which is normally the fact they sold but I may just be getting more forgetful.

Good luck in finding the roof, there have been a few pop up here and there but its one of those things that normally takes time unless your really lucky.

Still got mine, just taken off the market at the moment, as the deal was too big and cheap and scared people off, I am still not walking but getting closer, so may decide to keep them yet.

While I was looking at repairing mine before I bought the race shell for the roof, I can't see why you couldn't use the roof off a 2+2, they are the same shape up to where the hatch is on the 240 as I had my old roof cuts sitting on it, I was looking at just cutting and welding the 2+2 roof and joining them at the corner of the hatch and windscreen with a 90 deg edge that can be cleaned up easy, and hide the weld in the gutter on the sides.

Hi,

Based on your location you could try Lurch on here, he does quite a lot of restoration work on zeds and should be able to tell you if a new roof is required or a section to weld in could be fabricated using an English wheel and the warped areas straightened. If Lurch is unable to do it you could consider trailering it to Gladesville auto body works in Sydney where Adam had his car done. Pics would help too :)

Cheers

Yeah I've seen that project thread, I could consider it. But I think I would sooner just pay more for a 2 seater as in the end it would be a lot less effort. Same with the whole panel beaters thing, I don't doubt they could do it but by the time I trailer it there and pay for labour It will cost more than the American option. This is why I originally wanted a composite material roof. There is a company In the uk that do one but shipping would kill me I reckon unless it's cheaper than america.

• Administrators

There is a thread on here showing a 2+2 roof being grafted onto a 2 seater. They are quite close apparently.

It doesn't look like that much more effort to graft a 2+2 roof to a 2 seater to be honest.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7394.msg69480.html#msg69480

There is a slight gap at the rear 1/4 window but that is probably easier to overcome than welding up a patch without warpage.

Yeah it's at least worth a shot, I would also rather use the money for shipping to bring a whole car over instead of a roof

Where to get a solid 2+2 roof from thought? I see your after one Gav, you planning to use it for the same thing?

Also what do people think of getting a storage unit in America. I'm thinking of it for stashing a car away and anything else worth snapping up in America so I don't have to worry about shipping straight away ?

• Administrators

Yeah it's at least worth a shot, I would also rather use the money for shipping to bring a whole car over instead of a roof

Where to get a solid 2+2 roof from thought? I see your after one Gav, you planning to use it for the same thing?

Also what do people think of getting a storage unit in America. I'm thinking of it for stashing a car away and anything else worth snapping up in America so I don't have to worry about shipping straight away ?

I have a 2 seater roof skin already, but looking at the roof on my 70 240z it's actually very straight, I don't see any obvious rust bubbles and it's not dented etc.. The sunroof isn't that large and so I'm considering repairing the existing roof because of how hard it is to find a good roof these days. My plan with the 2+2 roof is to use only a portion / section of it to repair mine.

If I make a mess of it then I'll just use the roof skin I have, if not I can sell the roof skin later.

I think the storage unit would make sense if you were living over there and able to send stuff to Australia. If I'm lucky with work I get to travel to San Francisco about once a year, often I've thought about finding S30z stuff while over there and sending it back but I'm never over there long enough to make it happen.

With the way the dollar is heading though I think the US is looking less attractive for S30z parts.

G'day Patch, I know Carlos from Sportsclassic very well, I have got a lot of parts from him for my Zed over the years. If you like I can contact him & ask him how much he's asking for a roof providing he has one in stock. He probably wont ship it for you but I can help you out with that matter should it eventuate.

Regards: Alan.

Hey Gav, I was just reading that"rust bucket" project thread again on 2+2 roof onto a 2 seater and I don't think he ended up using the 2+2 skin did he, from what I can make out he only used the a pillars and drip rails but not the roof skin. Think he ended up saying it's too long a bit wider? Didn't he ? Thats from what I could make out, still might be possible thought ?

I think what everybody wants to know, is whether with, say, a 2-seat roof skin overlaid on top of a 2+2 roof skin - with their front edges aligned & centred - is the overall shape of the two skins where they overlap the same or very close?

(If I've explained that properly).

2+2 is longer & wider so is over-sized for grafting on to a 2-seat shell.

Whether any Z parts guys have ever done that comparison I don't know.

My theory is that, no, the 2+2 roof has a less compound curvature in the centre towards the back, as the roof sits up higher. So it will need some wheeling & working to make it work, not within the skills of yours truly DIYer (me) anyway.

Here's a good 2+2 roof surface rust only. I parted a car out last year and it was too good to throw away and has no sunroof hole. Located in Ballarat so not too far away. Don't wait too long if you want it because i'll use it for patch panel otherwise.

post-762-144023783159_thumb.jpg

I would buy that roof skin off the 2+2 but I'm still a bit on the fence as to weather it would work or not. I don't doubt it would with the right tools and person operating those tools but I'm just a DIYer. I would give it a crack if it had been done before or it was known to be possible but I'm not sure? I've got the same question as gilltech and I also have the same theory about it. Don't know any other options though dispite America and a composite roof.sorry to ask again but Would anyone happen to have a lead on the roof mold Benzed used or of any other mold in Australia for a composite material 240z roof?