Sign in to follow this  
cracker

Help identifying springs please!

Hey guys,

I bought these 240z springs second hand last week and don't know anything about them, other than they are relatively low and firm.

I'm presuming the taller blue pair are the rears, and would appreciate if anyone recognised the brand or any other info that could help me find out spring rates or approximate ride height (or amount of drop from std) etc.

Cheers and Sunday beers,

James

post-1530-144023779796_thumb.jpg

First have a close look to see if the paint is a single coating if so they are aftermarket, as per Benny's suggestion; or, if applied over black, then most likely original springs that a PO has painted to make them look aftermarket!

Cheers guys - definitely aftermarket springs. My first thought was lovells on the blue ones, not sure if it's the right blue though. Did pedders do an "off the shelf" product for 240z? Only info I can come across with people having springs from pedders is when they are custom...

They are both thicker and with a higher spring rate than standard, might just have to put them in a see what sort of result I get, hoping for a mild drop f + r. Maybe a suspension shop can test the spring rate.

Both sets appear to be linear. If you measure coil diameter and free length and count the number of coils, you can put that info into a coil spring calculator to get the k value.

My front King low springs (variable rate) were tested by a suspension shop and were about 185 lb/inch at ride height.

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a spring calculator on the net.

Cheers

Mick

You do not count the top and bottom full first coils, as these are in contact with the upper/lower spring perches.

You need to acurately, with vernier calipers measure the diameter of the wire, in inch, ie 0.222" ( example)

Then outer diam of coil stack, the K number, as above, is the "Constant" number for steel ( physics terminology stuff)

Entering the info into said formula, will give you Pounds per inch.

Using metric gives you kg/cm, which the majority of suspension people do not use, as it is too wide ranging

I have the rate formula written down and can calculate it out, just need the info.

Strange if the set got sold off "non- matching"...

Thanks for the input all, to clarify what I need to measure:

- wire diameter in inches (Dad has vernier calipers, phew!)

- outer diameter of coil stack

- number of full coils (excluding top and bottom due to contact with perch)

Anything else?

dat2kman - if the offer still stands to do the calcs...

RED

Wire diam =  0.5313 inches

outer diam of spring = 4.4375 inches

No. of full coils = 7

(height of all coils = 247mm)

BLUE

Wire Diam  =  0.5313 inches

outer diam of spring =  4.4375 inches

No. of full coils (except top & bottom coils) = 8

(height of all coils = 295mm)

Cheers,

James