Sign in to follow this  
Mike260LW

WTB - E88 EFI Cylinder Head.

I know these are rare as rocking horse poop, but I'm after one for a race engine. Bare casting or fully assembled, I care not. Just thought someone may have one lurking in their workshop. Thanks.

Thanks Phillay - it has the E88 casting designation, but has a very small combustion chamber.  The ready reckoner is the injector notch in the top of the intake port (like the N42 & P90).

Cracker, my understanding is they come in an early, fuel injected, skyline.

Thanks Mike - I didn't even know they came in efi form! Good luck with the search and apologies for the hijack...

MR30 skylines - most were hatchback style & not many left...

Last time I saw an actual car was 10 years ago in a wreckers yard :)

However, the motors should still be lucking around :)

I think Lurch was sell some off a E88 head but I am not sure he still has them. Give him a PM as he flat chat at work and on the forum as much as he is normally. 

Bloke in .Jindalee area was selling off a couple, bit silly on price, if no luck elswhere Mike, let me know i 'll try and track him down.

Jason, don't you have a NFI head?

:P

Jason, don't you have a NFI head?

:P

I got that Y5 L head here, port runners same as a P90 shape, but smaller chambers. It's a virgin, be a very good base for development.. Thats for sale.

A couple of P90's, not for sale, yet.

That bloke in Jindalee, was wrecking a couple of L24E cars, but cant find him, will keep looking.

Thanks cracker, that's the one! I'm a bit disinclined to buy a whole car, ship it to Brizvegas from the Apple isle for $100 cylinder head.  The benefit of the E88 EFI head is its small combustion chamber. This is for a Group Sc engine. It will be very high compression.  The rules don't actually allow you to add metal, only remove.  I thought I found one here in Brisbane thanks to a lead from dat2kman.  Dragged a mate out on Saturday morning when it was about 36 deg C and 99% humidity to an MR30 in paddock in knee high snake infested grass.  Got stuck into head removal and fortunately my mate checked the head casting number, before we got too far, to find it was an N47! The E88 EFI head only comes in the hatchback not the sedan.  Thanks again for thinking of us.

Thanks cracker, that's the one! I'm a bit disinclined to buy a whole car, ship it to Brizvegas from the Apple isle for $100 cylinder head.  The benefit of the E88 EFI head is its small combustion chamber. This is for a Group Sc engine. It will be very high compression.  The rules don't actually allow you to add metal, only remove.  I thought I found one here in Brisbane thanks to a lead from dat2kman.  Dragged a mate out on Saturday morning when it was about 36 deg C and 99% humidity to an MR30 in paddock in knee high snake infested grass.  Got stuck into head removal and fortunately my mate checked the head casting number, before we got too far, to find it was an N47! The E88 EFI head only comes in the hatchback not the sedan.  Thanks again for thinking of us.

No problem - you taught me something new and I thought of this thread when I saw it! (I also had no idea it was only worth $100) Maybe give the seller a call and let them know you are interested in the engine head, just in case it gets sold to a wrecker. It doesn't exactly look like a $2100 car... haha

From what I have read 05L heads are good bases for a "clean canvas" port job because the intake runners and valves are so tiny.

Mike260LW will be looking for specifically an E30 or E88 head as they are the only castings permitted for use in Group Sc racing... And the E88 EFI head specifically so he can comply his car I assume as a 280Z with fuel injection.

I don't want to go through the debate about group S again but those technical regulations are crazily restrictive!

The O5L is like a baby version of a P90, but without the stupid huge combustion chambers, but same shaped short side radius!

Using carefull application of a file, and then some 80 grit belt sandiner paper, and a hammer, the casting mark can dissappear.

" Casting number, what casting number"

By rights the injection version of the e88 head is incorrect, the pictures in the homologation documents dont show the injection cut outs.

Yes the regs are crazy, bit the challenge is to make the best of it.

Cracker, good idea to contact the seller. I doubt he will want to decommission a running car to accommodate my needs but it's worth a try.

Bonkers, I didn't even know the O5L existed. I don't know anything about them. What did it come off? I will fire off an email to the engine builder.

Agno, I'm building up a an early '74 260, so it will be carbureted not fuel injected. My interest in the E88 EFI head is the combustion chamber shape.

No, chamber is the same, the later E88's just had the notches for the njectors.

Ports are all same size.

Mike, I have a virgin O5L head here. And a P90, to compare it to alongside.

Can sell

No, chamber is the same, the later E88's just had the notches for the njectors.

Ports are all same size.

Mike, I have a virgin O5L head here. And a P90, to compare it to alongside.

Can sell

Jason,

I do not believe the chamber is the same...I had plenty of E88 carb. heads - but had to find the injected head to achieve the result...