Stock Looking Airbox for Triple Mikuni Carburetors

gav240z

What about cutting an s130 airbox in half, cutting a section out of another and welding them together. A plate could be made for the back that would replace the hose connection? They're cheap and easy to find.

Just an idea!

Andrew

• Administrators

Hi Alan,

Do you know if Speed Shop Kubo are the ones who make an airbox that looks like the works rally car airbox?

http://www.speedshopkubo.com/gallery/

This is a set of webers, but the airbox looks a lot like the ones on the works rally cars.

028.jpg

I was trying to find a reference photo of an actual works car, but couldn't find 1. Instead I found a model car of 1 of the safari cars. Which shows this kind of airbox arrangement.

vNeDvEo.jpg

Yes, SS Kubo can make you a set, but for an eye-watering price. They are fellow members of Club S30, so I have an inkling as to the cost.

I have an original Works set of the 'Hamster Cage' filters in the loft. They are evidently hand made. I think they are eminently copyable. Apparently there's a K&N panel filter that's just the right size....

cDxrcK.jpg

ArW6vQ.jpg 

• Administrators

I have access to an original works pair of those - would be very easy to replicate ;)

Awesome, I was going to trouble Alan for more reference photos and measurements but if you have a pair to copy from even better! I am also interested in taking measurements of the CDI yellow boxes!

• Administrators

Yes, SS Kubo can make you a set, but for an eye-watering price. They are fellow members of Club S30, so I have an inkling as to the cost.

I have an original Works set of the 'Hamster Cage' filters in the loft. They are evidently hand made. I think they are eminently copyable. Apparently there's a K&N panel filter that's just the right size....

Thanks Alan, I like that engine bay. Any chance of getting some more photos of the oil catch can set up?

Interesting that they went with the throttle cable set up too!

Would that car have had the "Safari head"?

Thanks Alan, I like that engine bay. Any chance of getting some more photos of the oil catch can set up?

Interesting that they went with the throttle cable set up too!

Would that car have had the "Safari head"?

The 'can' itself, or are you interested in the plumbing?

Quite a few of the Works cars were cable throttle. I was told it was the preference of many of the Works drivers. Probably easier to modulate throttle action on a 'busy' rally car (jumping up and down...) with the pedal connected to a cable?

Ironically, I don't think the 'Safari' head was ever actually used in anger on the Safari. Apparently it was developed with the Safari in mind, but the two Safari wins with the 240Z were done without it. Another irony, it was successfully used on the two Works cars taken the Kyalami 9hrs in 1973. So South Africa, not East Africa...

• Administrators

The 'can' itself, or are you interested in the plumbing?

Both, if possible? It looks like it's a plastic catch can? I'll likely run a catch can now that I've gone to Triple Mikuni's but would be interested in something that looks 'period' correct.

Both, if possible? It looks like it's a plastic catch can? I'll likely run a catch can now that I've gone to Triple Mikuni's but would be interested in something that looks 'period' correct.

OK, here's a photo which possibly does both. It's a hard plastic 'can' with a foam filling and alloy mounting bracket. Two hoses going in: One from the cam cover breather and one from the block breather:

zfRBCS.jpg

Hi Alan,

I've contacted R Factory and they still are making the airboxes.

He only offers the airbox in white and the latches are a different style to yours (I think.. the translated english is not that great).

I was wondering - Did you paint your airbox and have you fitted those latches yourself? Or is that exactly how you purchased it? 

And what are you doing for a filter?

Airbox is 35,000 yen without drilling for installation or 40,000 yen with drilling for mounting holes.

Edited by theremm

Hi Alan,

I've contacted R Factory and they still are making the airboxes.

He only offers the airbox in white and the latches are a different style to yours (I think.. the translated english is not that great).

I was wondering - Did you paint your airbox and have you fitted those latches yourself? Or is that exactly how you purchased it? 

And what are you doing for a filter?

Yes, mine came in the any-colour-you-like-as-long-as-it's-white option. I painted it orange myself. I also installed the clips myself, as R-Factory only supplied the airbox at the time (and probably now) with a pair of giant nylon tie-wraps to keep the cover on. I soon got bored with that. No filter! There's a fine mesh screen in the 'mouth' of the cover which I considered better than nothing at all. Doesn't really get hot enough over here to warrant a cold air duct but it would be easily done I think. 

Interesting info, thanks Alan. A couple more questions then if that’s ok. Very keen to buy one of these airboxes, just want to understand the practicality!

1. Regarding the filter – did R Factory supply the airbox with the mesh screen? And in hindsight do you think this is sufficient? I never even noticed it from the pictures. I imagine that metal circular ring at the opening is what holds the mesh in place?
  2. Mounting holes: did you drill these yourself or have R Factory supply the box with the holes pre-drilled for mounting?
  3. Paint: did you have this powder coated or did you  just use a spray can?
  4. Yep, still supplied with the nylon tie downs. Will definitely be swapping for a set of those latches! Yours look good

Thanks Alan

I can take some up close pics later today if Alan has nothing on hand. Just let me know what you need pics or measurements of.

The mesh is intergrated in the aluminium ring, it's very robust. I couldn't see the mesh failing under any normal circumstances.

Base plate is 3mm aluminium. Mesh and intake 'ring' look to be epoxy'd in place, very tight you can't even dent the mesh by pushing it.

Total length 680mm

Depth at fattest point is 140mm

Base plate length 600mm

The longways pic of the air box doesn't show the taper, must've been the lights. It tapers like Alana front to rear.

post-101023-0-18253800-1501743869_thumb.jpg

post-101023-0-55384000-1501743891_thumb.jpg

post-101023-0-95113100-1501743914_thumb.jpg

post-101023-0-25642700-1501743944_thumb.jpg

post-101023-0-18114400-1501743972_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gareth. J.

I concur with what Gareth says, except that my version of the R-Factory airbox had trumpets integral with the base plate:

mtbCy6.jpg

As you can see, they were welded on. I would have though the option to drill your own holes and mount you own trumpets/airhorns would be better (as long as they fit under the cover...) and would explain the cheaper price option.

Thanks for the responses Gareth and Alan (and sorry for the late response Gareth, been a busy day at work!!).

Mesh filter looks very sturdy, I was concerned initially it wouldn't have been fitted to the box nicely.

Strange that they welded the trumpets on.. I think I will drill my own holes just to be on the safe side then.

Looking forward to getting the airbox. Will have to order through Jesse Streeter or similar as R Factory won't ship outside of Japan unfortunately

• 1 year later...

Alan and Gareth,

What have you done with the crankcase breather/PCV valve and rocker cover breather connections, using the R-Factory airbox? Have you diverted these to an oil catch can/air oil separator? 

I'm very close to installing mine. I don't like the look of those universal filters people put on in place of the proper plumbing. What would be your recommendation?

19 minutes ago, theremm said:

Alan and Gareth,

What have you done with the crankcase breather/PCV valve and rocker cover breather connections, using the R-Factory airbox? Have you diverted these to an oil catch can/air oil separator? 

I'm very close to installing mine. I don't like the look of those universal filters people put on in place of the proper plumbing. What would be your recommendation?

I drilled the back plate of the R-Factory airbox and found a push-on hose fitting (actually a bulkhead fitting) that I could securely attach to it. Then just a short run of hose from the rocker cover, kind of replicating the factory plumbing.

First of all I ran the crankcase breather hose into a catch can, and then I blocked the hose. Didn't seem to make much difference whichever way I ran it, although a hotter engine spec might behave differently.

Thanks Alan. Does any oily residue appear to travel from the rocker cover into the airbox?

And when you had the catch can, was it a vented type with a breather on top? I assume it's not possible to run a PCV valve anywhere given the manifold (Harada) does not have a balance tube for this to connect.

Hadn't considered blocking off the crankcase breather before, though I had read on other forum posts that this was ok to do given the engine can vent upwards through the timing chain cover.

1 hour ago, theremm said:

Thanks Alan. Does any oily residue appear to travel from the rocker cover into the airbox?

And when you had the catch can, was it a vented type with a breather on top? I assume it's not possible to run a PCV valve anywhere given the manifold (Harada) does not have a balance tube for this to connect.

Never noticed much oily residue inside the airbox, but I would imagine this could be different for each engine on a case-by-case basis depending on state of tune/condition/driving style.

My catch can was home made with holes in the top and some sponge inside. Nothing to be proud of!

That bulkhead fitting I put on the back plate of the R-Factory airbox could be replaced with a PCV valve, I should think?

18 hours ago, HS30-H said:

That bulkhead fitting I put on the back plate of the R-Factory airbox could be replaced with a PCV valve, I should think?

Yes I'd think so too, though I believe for the PCV valve to operate correctly it needs to be connected to the crankcase breather, not the rocker cover. However, given you have blocked off your crankcase breather then perhaps that changes things? Not entirely sure on that.

With my cut n shut, extended 240Z airbox I also ran the rocker cover vent hose into the backing plate, just like original. The crankcase is run to a catch can with breather on top. After about 3000km there is no oil in either the airbox or catch can. Obviously there will be some oil fumes ending up in the airbox being sucked through the carbs, which is not ideal, but for me I was after a factory look over all out performance.

DSC01545.JPG

DSC01527.JPG

• 1 year later...

On 8/3/2017 at 3:06 PM, Riceburner said:

The longways pic of the air box doesn't show the taper, must've been the lights. It tapers like Alana front to rear.

Hi rice burner, what about the depth at the end of the box? Im running 70mm trumpets, afraid it will not work for me.

thinking if i should go rfactory or efi hardware, both around the same price.

Edited by locklock