Stock Looking Airbox for Triple Mikuni Carburetors

gav240z

• Administrators

Hi guys,

I was at Ash's shop today, Moorabbin Auto Spares and saw in 1 of the magazines this article.

IMG_20150110_141313.jpg

IMG_20150110_141322.jpg

IMG_20150110_141305.jpg

But it's the last imagine here that piqued my interest.

IMG_20150110_141238.jpg

I thought it might be the Prince Skyline GT-B airbox.

1966_Nissan_Skyline_Sedan_GTB_Engine_1_1.jpg

But as you can see it's quite a bit more narrow than the 1 pictured in the C10 Sedan. So what airbox is it?

Thats a C110 sedan or a 'Yonmeri'. I be very interested in this sort of airbox aswell theres an outfit in the UK that do FRP/ CF airboxes for 6 cylinder engines equipped with weber type carbs.

That valve cover on the same car, underneath the spark plug leads there's a big OHC.

Did some searching on OLX (Seth African Gumtree?) on Laurels I've never seen this valve cover ever before, or heard of it.

0L5cocXl.jpg

ge43J8nl.jpg

Sorry to derail/ hijack Gav

I believe it might be 1/2 of a Lambo V12 air box. I will have to see if I  can find a pic.

I have a prince air box that I am getting a mould off now that I have modified it to fit. I will let you know when it is done and cost to make one.

• Moderators

Gidday

Mark (Scoota G) had a really neat airbox made out of an RB30 rocker cover on Oscar. Maybe consider something like that. Not sure if Mark still has it or if he can post up a photo or two.

Looked really tidy.

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

That valve cover on the same car, underneath the spark plug leads there's a big OHC.

Did some searching on OLX (Seth African Gumtree?) on Laurels I've never seen this valve cover ever before, or heard of it.

Sorry to derail/ hijack Gav

That's ok, I've actually never seen the NISSAN OHC cover like that either. That's a first for me. Very rare.

I believe it might be 1/2 of a Lambo V12 air box. I will have to see if I  can find a pic.

I have a prince air box that I am getting a mould off now that I have modified it to fit. I will let you know when it is done and cost to make one.

Funny as it sounds I kinda want to make it a metal airbox like the standard SU box.

I can ask Gerry what it is if you like.

Please do.

Gidday

Mark (Scoota G) had a really neat airbox made out of an RB30 rocker cover on Oscar. Maybe consider something like that. Not sure if Mark still has it or if he can post up a photo or two.

Looked really tidy.

Cheers

PB

Yeah I've seen it before, I was actually looking at the 260z 'boat anchor' style airbox yesterday that Ash had lying around. You would need to cut it up a bit (remove the bottom flapper part) and extend it a bit further, but I thought it was a good starting place and once powder coated orange would look good.

?Image=P4230031.jpg

I figure someone might want to turf a 260z air box, since they seem undesirable and I wouldn't want to cut up a 240z box.

• Moderators

Slightly crazy idea,

How would it be to take two standard SU type boxes, and make one longer box out them ?

Sort of similar to the S20 unit.

Would need some though into how to manage the filtration side of things though.

post-3930-144023776511_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Actually filtration would be easy, just a small filter at the entry point of the airbox. The S20 airbox actually extends out in front of the radiator.

See this: http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/

hoodless.jpg

frontsupport.jpg

So any kind of pod or K&N filter could work in there.

• Administrators

Gerry says it was a 260Z air box and "now that I remember it was built from one only, and the missing bits fabricated."

Thanks for that, yeah I thought it looked similar to the 260z style airbox. I figured it was better to start with that and modify to suit Triples. Rather than build the whole thing from scratch. I really like the clips on top of the airbox and of course the wing nuts that go on the side. They were a really well engineered piece in my opinion.

Good timing I'm about to put the knife to my Prince airbox, but its become a prick of a job.

The distance btn carbs is correct but the prince carbs are staggered,

so it looks like I'll cut six square holes, keeping the ribs and mounting tabs and weld this sheet onto the back.

Alot of work

post-2040-144023776573_thumb.jpg

Good timing I'm about to put the knife to my Prince airbox, but its become a prick of a job.

The distance btn carbs is correct but the prince carbs are staggered,

so it looks like I'll cut six square holes, keeping the ribs and mounting tabs and weld this sheet onto the back.

Alot of work

yep I tried changing the holes first on mine. Then only to find it was fouling on the bonnet....doh... so cut out the whole back (after making a jig to keep it straight) then welded in a new back (did loose the factory ribs and used thicker sheet steel). It is with a fibre glass guy now getting a mould done.

• 7 months later...

Been searching around.. Cant find a stock airbox that fits triples... I wonder how much would a S30 airbox would cost.. Airbox makes its looks classic!

Locklock I am with you.. spent many hours over the past weeks looking for a stock looking triple air box but nothing available. Would be interested to see what you do, I just bought some triples. I like the stock looking air box in the magazine photograph that Gav posted

I've seen that car on youtube before, the description on his brother's video (linked in the description of the one below) seems to suggest they are/were SAU users?

This is such a tease! At the 0:54 sec mark in the video he says "triple Webers on it and as you can see the bigger airbox..." < very helpful - not!

The car has a 'www.skylinesaustralia.com' (SAU) sticker across the top of its windscreen. 

I had a look on the SAU site - but I can't find anything about this car or its elusive airbox there.

Edited by GongZ

• 1 month later...

Slightly crazy idea,How would it be to take two standard SU type boxes, and make one longer box out them ?Sort of similar to the S20 unit.Would need some though into how to manage the filtration side of things though.

Do you guys think it will work? I really feel like getting one extra airbox and cut it and join to my airbox to make it fit the triples.

Gerry & Dave Castrechini - Presto Industries.

As Craig mentioned a few posts back, Gerry heavily modified a 260Z airbox to work with the triple carbs on his 240K.

While I'm sure all these airbox's works well with standard-ish engine setup's, they would be a restriction any serious HP L-series.

It would be best to understand one's requirements before going off making something that may not be suitable...

Edited by Lurch ™