Turbo Charging L28 w Blow through carbs

jthompson165

If you are going to turbo a carbie car, you are better off to do a suck through setup over a blow through.

SU's arent a good carb to blow through, once you generate boost you'll have a LOT of trouble keeping the throttle closed, it'll force the plungers wide open.

Eg, uncontrolled full throttle, not fun at all.

You would be better using a weber/dellorto style carbie.

With a turbo carbie setup, you have to make sure everything is sealed well and they tend to go out of tune very easily.

Living in canberra you will definitely need a separate winter and summer tune.

Cost wise, you end up about the same as an EFI Turbo setup, probably more once you factor in the constant tuning costs.

You'll arguably make more power (drivable and top end) with EFI than you will over carbs.

If i can give you one peice of valuable advice, Do it once, Do it right.

Yes, it'll cost more initially but its totally worth it in the end, trust me from experience here...

From memory there was a good thread here somewhere arguing EFI vs Carbies, but for the life of me i cant find it...  :-\

If you are dead keen on doing it, get yourself a set of triple weber/dellortos

put them on and see how it goes without the turbo, you'll find it sounds awesome and goes like a scalded cat.

If you still want the turbo after that, you have the right carbies already in place and running well.

• Moderators

What's the ACT ruling on Learner or Probationary licensed drivers in turbo fitted vehicles?

Appears to be far more relaxed than NSW.

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/licence/act-licence-types/provisional-licence

Makes no mention of any vehicle restrictions ???

You wont find appropriate plumbing and fittings, it will all have to be made. Ive ran a draw through turbo L20b and while it went well it wasnt a nice setup. Like others have said, i advise against it. Youll turn a nice car into a pig.

Maybe do a EFI conversion first, sort out the issues, then later on look at turbocharging.

• Moderators

Maybe do a EFI conversion first, sort out the issues, then later on look at turbocharging.

Great idea, especially given that factory L28ET bits appear for sale on a semi regular basis.

Why reinvent the wheel if you don't need to ?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Gonna play Devil's Advocate here, but, as a young fella, at 16, we 'd all like to see you get your license, and get a few driving miles out on the roads under your belt.

No amount of fanging around your 'rents ACT property will be enough!

Once you've had a year or two of driving in your stocko Datsun, ( convert it to a manual!) enrol in a couple of defensive driving courses, hopefully those will onock out your bad driving habits, and give you a bit of insight into a bit f track work.

Then maybe do a few trackdays, Wakefield at Goulburn s pretty close to you.

Then make you car go crazy fasts!

Im 16 and halfway through My Ls and have to agree with the guy above me, I drive a 180b with SUs extractors and a two inch exhaust, and thats plenty fast for my level of experience. Dad has let me drive the 240 a few times, it has an L26 with webers and a cam and goes like a cut snake and sounds amazing, definitely enough power, and makes my car feel slow, i would say a manual conversion is a must and leave it at that :)   

• 9 months later...

Not here to lecture you so here goes, I successfully ran an L26 with the factory carbs, made a plenum up and ensured the float vents were tapped back into plenum , I ran some different needles and slightly heavier damper springs, an efi pump with a rising rate fuel reg, the engine ran very well. As for the carbs getting stuck at full throttle well thats not right, the throttle valves will close as normal and as the engine goes into vacuum, so do the pistons just ensure you run a BOV , wives tale. In fact SU used to make a carb for blow through apps. Having said all that If you can afford go inj.