Lime Green 1972 240z.... Project deadline NDN15 (hopefully)

zed74

Hi ALL,

Plan to have this second zed ready for NDN15.

Will enter my Blue Tarmac zed anyway - but nothing like a deadline to get things moving on a "stalled project".

Brief history:

Car bodywork fully restored back in 2007 with fibreglass ZG nose installed...... until someone (not me) put it into Macadamia nuts at Mt Cotton & destroyed the ZG nose! >:(

Body was taken back to bare metal via sandblasting (garnet) to reveal a "lightweight shell :P" :o

Extensive repairs undertaken & ZG flares fitted which also addressed some corrosion around rear wheel aches..... my excuse anyway! :)

Initially setup to be a dedicated track car.

Car ran a Supercharger from a Toyota 2 litre on an L28 - but quite frankly it was a "dog" & barely beat my Blue Tarmac zed at FOSC Bathurst event in 2010 despite being 170 kg lighter & supposedly more power :-[.

Engine & driveline (incl. suspension/brakes) returned in late 2010/early 2011 to the person "who used to setup my cars" - thankfully no longer doing so... ;)

Upgrades to my Tarmac zed have enabled a few parts (incl. a motor) to become available to get this car functional again.

I will update with photos as things progress.

BTW: I have a 17 yo son (soon to turn 18) who is pressuring the turbo route - but for now that can be one of his dreams... His Grand dad has just retired recently from Morgan Park sprinting his RB powered 260z - who knows what he can negotiate down the track ;)

post-3174-144023774135_thumb.jpg

post-3174-144023774152_thumb.jpg

post-3174-144023774168_thumb.jpg

post-3174-144023774184_thumb.jpg

It's to soon to be posting pics of this  ::)

It's making me miss my lime yellow girl  :'(

Ha Ha

yes - your car looked great.

Lime/yellow is a unique colour & something different...

time heals many things - but so will another zed! :)

Looking forward to seeing The Hulk on the track in proper race form Richard, those wheels look magic and will enable some sort of wide tyres to be fitted. It's going to look like a proper racer  ;)

Thanks Richard SNR :)

It will be a Staged process before it is in FULL race trim.... however want to get it back up and running with my old Tarmac motor & a standard gearbox.

As funds & time allow I will get the bottom end built for my injected race head & get a close ratio gearset from Kameari. :)

I hate it when the current exchange rate between Yen/AUD is sooo good & I have no available funds... :'(

About time this thing saw daylight again!

Makes we wanna go buy me a Pine Lime Splice Ice Cream,,,,,

Love the references to our Unzud mate,,,,

Thanks Jason,

Yea we all miss those Splice ice creams - Pine lime was always me favourite! :P

Our old mate was OK - as long as you understood that meant Obnoxious Kiwi... ;)

Unfortunate that sooo many suffered & had to then spend $ "de-S....monizing" their cars to get them performing properly again... :-X

For the record I like NZ & in general Kiwi's :)

So,

What engine?

I have a nice little compact turbo package here, bit of engine mount md, and she'd drop in.

Minor bolt-ons, and it'd go well.

Best of all, it'd be a "md mount"

HA - no Jason...one modded turbo car in the family is enough :)

L28 running triple 40mm mikuni's in the first instance...

Next development will be to build a bulletproof bottom end to go with the modded N42 injected race head setup. The head has been 100% completed with custom grind billet cam, new rockers, valves etc. As the inlet ports have been raised significantly the individual throttlebodies will need a custom bonnet to allow necessary clearances.

Anyway - its a "work in progress" ;)

Richard, is the car being built to suit a set of rules or just as an exercise in because I can?

Obviously the end goal for the car will determine how far you also go with it, I know the targa rules are a bit freee than the 2B rules in some places, but more restrictive in others. Same with racing, if you want to race at QR/Lakeside then you will fit in outlaws with their run what ya brung, but to play at door to door at Morgan Park will have to fit within 2A rules or 2B rules to get a log book.

Richard, is the car being built to suit a set of rules or just as an exercise in because I can?

Obviously the end goal for the car will determine how far you also go with it, I know the targa rules are a bit freee than the 2B rules in some places, but more restrictive in others. Same with racing, if you want to race at QR/Lakeside then you will fit in outlaws with their run what ya brung, but to play at door to door at Morgan Park will have to fit within 2A rules or 2B rules to get a log book.

Hi Matt,

The car did originally get logbooked as a 2B sports car & has a certified CAMS rollcage.

I will try and keep it generally within those guidelines of 2B.

I have heard that Targa rules may allow ZG flares/bigger wheels etc - but honestly have not looked into it...

Just need to keep it L series and the idea about the bonnet for the ITB trumpets will need to be looked at, bonnet needs to be original shape. Best get the latest set of rules off the CAMS website as a pointer.

ZG flares are no problem as long as you keep them within a specified distance of the standard arches, 200mm IIRC and track can be no more than 100mm wider than standard, again need to check actual rule.

Some things can be moved around regard suspension location points and brakes are pretty free. Only other thing to worry about is weight will dictate maximum width of wheels, under 1100kg only allowed 40" of wheel width, over 44".

Also no forced induction unless standard for car and then have to use standard turbo and manifold, thankfully no other restrictors.

For 2B dry sumping is Ok so can drop the motor, however no changing firewall, rails or inner skirts. Motor can be moved around but must use standard mount locations, though actual mounts are free.

ummm

dry sumping will add another $10k to build - but of it solves the bonnet clearance issues it will have to be done... ;)

Motec engine management ok with 2B REGS?

Computers are free.

Also look at replacing the dash with a fibreglass or carbon dash and also using aftermarket gauges or fancy pants new style dash.

For the S14 I will be using Motech M1 series ECU and the C125 race logging kit to replace the gauges.

Here is a link to the 2B manual, well worth having a read if you haven't already done so, http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/Race/RA16-Group-2B-2015-1.pdf

As the rules keep changing during the year I just keep using the link and not worry about keeping a hard copy.

Computers are free.

Also look at replacing the dash with a fibreglass or carbon dash and also using aftermarket gauges or fancy pants new style dash.

For the S14 I will be using Motech M1 series ECU and the C125 race logging kit to replace the gauges.

Here is a link to the 2B manual, well worth having a read if you haven't already done so, http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/Race/RA16-Group-2B-2015-1.pdf

As the rules keep changing during the year I just keep using the link and not worry about keeping a hard copy.

Thanks Matt :)

May as well get one of those Kiwi sequential shift boxes too, blow the expense  8)

Don't think it will ever have the "power" to justify the expense... :)

Plus I still like a bit of old school H pattern! ;)

Don't think it will ever have the "power" to justify the expense... :)

You blokes are getting plenty of power now, all you have to do is translate it into lap times. Oooops, who said that :o Unfortunately power and lap times can't be discussed on this forum with any sort of civility, too much tender ego or something.