• Administrators

I have just found and purchased a 1970 240z. how do I find any history on the car? where it was delivered etc. it doesn't have an Australian compliance plate. all numbers match form the jap plate. i believe it always has been a s.a car.

Welcome, finding history isn't easy. It sounds like you might have an S30z (Japanese Home Market car) if it has a 'Jap plate' on it. The first thing to do is post some photos. Take as many detailed photos as you like, we may be able to determine if it's a Japanese home market car or Australian delivered car that way.

There is a chance that someone on here previously owned it many moons ago. With S30z's many people who previously owned 1 are looking to own 1 again or have bought another years down the track so many cars change hands within the same cluster of people.

What is the engine and chassis numbers?

With regard to compliance plates, my car HS30 000150 has an AU compliance plate but I'm told it wasn't common to find a compliance plate on 1970 cars as it was something that was just introduced around that time frame. Again your VIN and engine number will help us further.

• Administrators

Oh well done. HS30 would indicate an Aussie market car. That fender mirror seems to have only been used in our market also. Is the other side missing or blanked off?

Looks like a good example and an early car also, many of the early cars are not in great shape now. A register is set up here:

http://www.wazregister.com/index.php?title=ANZIS30_Register

List of cars here:

http://www.wazregister.com/index.php?title=View_ANZIS30_Register_Cars

It doesn't look like the car has been entered into the register before.

How did you come across the car?

its currently blanket off, the previous owner gave me a spare for the other side from japan, with boxes full of other gear original rims hubcaps etc.

stumbled across it , i wasn't actually looking for one.

its been in storage for ten years, but with some fresh juice she fired up first pop!

Take a pic of the ID plate in engine bay.

Chap up here in Qld has a Jap Import, the ID plate is in Japanese, engine designation is "L20A-xxxxx"

Which means it's a six cylinder 2 litre, a proper Datsun Fairlady, and not a 240Z

If your ID plate is English script, your is an Aus delivered Datsun 240Z

What is it's chassis/body number?

Welcome. Awesome color, There are heaps of Adelaide guys on here, just contact them using your morse code machine. One of them used to use smoke signals but then he reconditioned his engine.

Too early for humour?

PS. I am sure someone will mention your door mirror mounted on the gaurd.

Good score! Very similar looking to mine due to the colour and wheels.

For what it's worth, mine is very close in build number being #319 and doesn't have a compliance plate either. I can't see any holes in the area that compliance plates are mounted on other examples so I am inclined to think that it never had one.

the car no. is hs30-00308

pretty sure its an Australian delivered car

Yeah, looks like and Aus car.

#308 would put it with the rest of the early 240Z's that came to Australia, (We would call it a series 1, but in the USA they would call it something else).

Anything below #501 is a 1970, since #501 was the first HS30 off the production line in 1971.

Chap up here in Qld has a Jap Import, the ID plate is in Japanese, engine designation is "L20A-xxxxx"

Which means it's a six cylinder 2 litre, a proper Datsun Fairlady, and not a 240Z

There's no such thing as a "proper Datsun Fairlady" in the S30-series Z range.

Japanese market S30-series Zs were Nissan branded. You would not have seen the word 'Datsun' on them anywhere in the spec they left the factory.

Welcome... and very cool! I've always loved dark green (is this the original 907 factory colour?)

Looks like a fantastic find - if you ever want someone to come and ogle it for a while let me know!

Would love some more info and specs and of course the more pics the better.

James

EDIT: PS. If you need to get in touch (and we have line of sight) use your floodlight for morse code, that way Scoota can't intercept our messages.

• Administrators

trying to find some history on it, can you tell from the car no. where it was delivered?

Records were not that carefully kept back then I'm afraid. I don't think it's possible to know this without any documentation that came with the car or details of the original owner etc.. Unless someone in Nissan Australia can help us find such records.

Welcome... and very cool! I've always loved dark green (is this the original 907 factory colour?)

Looks like a fantastic find - if you ever want someone to come and ogle it for a while let me know!

Would love some more info and specs and of course the more pics the better.

James

EDIT: PS. If you need to get in touch (and we have line of sight) use your floodlight for morse code, that way Scoota can't intercept our messages.

yes it is paint code 907. your welcome to come and check it out.

Good score! Very similar looking to mine due to the colour and wheels.

For what it's worth, mine is very close in build number being #319 and doesn't have a compliance plate either. I can't see any holes in the area that compliance plates are mounted on other examples so I am inclined to think that it never had one.

Agree its a great find... particularly if you were not even looking for one! :)

I don't think compliance plates were fitted to the early Australian Delivered 240z - think 1971 was the first year I can recall them being fitted, which always opened up the debate about the first series of cars into Australia being 1970 or 1969 (none has plates to prove) ;)

• Administrators

Agree its a great find... particularly if you were not even looking for one! :)

I don't think compliance plates were fitted to the early Australian Delivered 240z - think 1971 was the first year I can recall them being fitted, which always opened up the debate about the first series of cars into Australia being 1970 or 1969 (none has plates to prove) ;)

HS30 000150 is a 1970 240z with a compliance plate :)

%24_57%2B%287%29.JPG

• Moderators

Welcome!

Again, nice find with that early zed. What is the chassis number if I can ask? I'm always interested in the chassis numbers to see which low ones are running around.

Might be good to ask the Road authority in SA to see if they can give you some info on how many previous owners etc..