As NEW 1971 RHD 240Z; The Brown Hornet - SOLD

acf321

I spent most of Sat and most of Sunday installing the brand new carpets ... they aer amazing.. 100% german loop pile. Installed the diamond vinyl, but before doing so I wrapped the console in 1/2" felt underlay, which I also used on the floors. With the vinyl, carpet, mats, and fully refurbished console in place, I was in shock as to not only how good the car looks, but HOW QUIET IT IS !!!!!!!!!

James tuned it fully, changed the oil, tensioned the timing chain and adjusted the OER's. The outcome is a very very comfortable driver, with much better fuel economy. He changed the jets to smaller ones, and I am sure that the economy has now doubled on what it was. I drove it all weekend and the needle barely moved!

I am SO happy with the Hornet now .. Hopefully the final inspection this Wednesday goes well. I personally don't know how it won't.

All the best Adam.

Sounds like a bit of a risk driving it that far. Not passing judgement on the quality of the car, we know it's second to none, but driving a fresh build that far seems risky to me.

What's the furthest you've driven it so far?

All the best Adam.

Sounds like a bit of a risk driving it that far. Not passing judgement on the quality of the car, we know it's second to none, but driving a fresh build that far seems risky to me.

What's the furthest you've driven it so far?

I was thinking the same. Stone chips/ resealed roads/ bugs.  But hey, thats what theyre for..... Driving

When I bought my last RenaultSport, I flew to Canberra, paid 10k in cash and drove back with my Dad all the way to Adelaide, across the Hay Plains at sunrise - was epic :)

All part of the adventure :)  Buyers risk, but a good way to get to know a new acquisition.

• Administrators

buyer has paid a deposit and coming to inspect tomorrow. Plan is to buy it and drive it home to VIC on Monday.

I am kind of hoping his Wife is a little put off by the noise :(

Sounds like sellers remorse already kicking in mate? It's not too late to change your mind.

Sure you want a swimming pool?

http://freshome.com/2010/07/05/the-pros-and-cons-owning-a-swimming-pool-home/

CAR GONE... I AM VERY HAPPY!

1) got my money, to the dollar

2) elderly retired couple with no kids, the car will be babied and they utterly adore it

3) on the test I took it to 5000rpm and the buyer freaked out ..... it'll never go over 3500rpm

4) they will offer me first option in the event it's ever sold,

5) they were the nicest people i've ever dealt with and did not even mention the price, just paid in full without a question.

• Administrators

3) on the test I took it to 5000rpm and the buyer freaked out ..... it'll never go over 3500rpm

Good that everyone is happy, but what a shame about point #3. Carbon build up is a bad thing haha.

• Administrators

I saw a 2000GT in Sydney in the mid 1970's that the owner had converted to a P76 V8....... he thought it was great!!!!! wonder how he feels now!

LOL, I heard about a dealer in Sydney who sold 1 for around $300k a few years back, Probably regrets that now also.

Edit found it here:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleId=56184&IsPgd=0

The last remaining 2000GT in Australia was sold in January by Sydney's Al Palmer, a self-confessed Toyota addict who needed to free up some cash. "I had a lot of sleepless nights over that decision," he says. "Of course I have regrets."

The car found a new home with a collector in Britain. Palmer would only confirm it fetched more than $200,000.

"It was a lovely car to drive; quite sporty and noisy compared with a modern sports car," he says. "But was it the most fun car I've ever driven? No. That would be a Toyota MR2, which I raced in the NSW Supersprint Championships."

Also found this....

http://www.uniquecars.ninemsn.com.au/portal/alias__uniquecarsau/tabID__203009/ArticleID__8547/DesktopDefault.aspx

Interestingly, the 2000GT was not a pure Toyota design but a collaboration with Yamaha. Reflecting the 2000GT's distinctly European appearance the concept was rumoured to have come from an ex-BMW designer , best known as the creator of the very pretty BMW 507 sports cars.

I do wonder what happened to the P76 powered 1 though? Seems about 8-9 made it into the country. I'd say they are all but gone now.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/masterpiece-toyota-2000gt-20150113-12n3qc.html

From the comments section

I remember in 1972 I was working for Bay Road Toyota. We purchased the red 2000gt now owned by Toyota Australia for $14,000 from a South Australian Toyota dealer. A good one now fetches close to 2 million dollars not the one million mentioned in the article. Did you know that Carroll Shelby ran the official factory racing team for Toyota in USA.

It was about 1975....the coversion was done by Bowen Designs in Brookvale....I'm sure Peter Allen will remember them......I knew some one who worked there at the time and it was with his invitation that I saw the car...... it was around Edgecliff some where  and was displayed in a  car park ( garage) under an old apartment building.... the garage had a wooden turntable which was used to park the cars in the less than spacious garage and the 2000GT was parked on the turntable. The workmanship was excellent and the car looked imaculate.... from memory it was a lightish metalic green.... may have been resprayed and may not have been an original colour.

I was in the Bowen workshop not long after that and saw the twim cam engine sitting in a corner...I wonder where that is now.

There must be some one else who knows about the car......