suspension travel koni 8641-1060 coilovers

mossy

Spoken to Locky about this and i may have to head down to see him for some advice but just thought I'd see if anyone else has the same shocks and or issue, I've just installed some koni yellows 8641-1060(300zx) with 24mm sectioned struts front and rear with 175 and 200 pound eibach springs (coilovers) and factory isolators. The issue I have is there is hardly anyone bump travel, probably 1 inch front and a fraction more in the rear, the car isn't ultra low compared to others I've seen so I'm not sure whats wrong here?

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Does you bump stop go all the way up to touch the top?  I vaguely remember having to have the cone shape pointing upwards otherwise it would not actually go all the way up.  The will make it look like there is less travel than there is. 

Do you have spacers in the strut tubes Mossy? Maybe make up a collar that sits on top of the shock body to give you a bit more travel compared to spacing the shock from the bottom.

For the record my car has about 15mm suspension travel up front as well. It's a pain in the ass.

I'm not entirely sure how much travel I've got but I did trim the bump stops down. I have read that you only need an inch of bump stop. I don't think I've ever bottomed out and you've seen my car's ride height.

Edit: I've sectioned about 43mm off my struts though.. So what I just posted doesn't really help..

Do you have spacers in the strut tubes Mossy? Maybe make up a collar that sits on top of the shock body to give you a bit more travel compared to spacing the shock from the bottom.

For the record my car has about 15mm suspension travel up front as well. It's a pain in the ass.

15mm, I thought mine was bad, definetely dont want to hit a pothole!

To test I place a cable tie around the shock shaft and go for a drive; that'll show you its highest amount of travel. You could remove some of the bump stop to gain a tad more travel.

Did that Dimitri went for a quick drive down the street and the cable tie was at the bumpstop.

I'm not entirely sure how much travel I've got but I did trim the bump stops down. I have read that you only need an inch of bump stop. I don't think I've ever bottomed out and you've seen my car's ride height.

Edit: I've sectioned about 43mm off my struts though.. So what I just posted doesn't really help..

I think I had a very short bumpstop on my last coilovers but they were poly ones, I've got the koni foam ones at 40mm I think I'd be to scared to go any shorter than that.

Yeah i agree with your bump stops being way too big. My coilovers run 10mm ones for this reason. You want to run at least 50mm of travel, especially with that spring rate and if you run a better bump stop you will be close to getting that. I'm running 325lbs fronts and i have 55mm of bump travel. Is your strut sitting all the way up in your strut tube? Have you wound the spring perch way down? If so, maybe you haven't taken enough out of your strut casing.

My stock struts with low king springs sat lower than that in the back and it was banging bump stops.

No more can be taken out of the front struts Jake, 24mm was it due to the length of the 300zx inserts. Looks like I need more sectioning of the front and rear struts, maybe another inch which means finding some ae92 corolla inserts for the fronts, rears have spacers so I can still use them.

Maybe try cutting the bump stops down first. Another thing  you can do is run a pillow ball top mount on the front which will make the car another 20mm lower and then wind the spring up the perch a bit.

A lot of work goes into making these cars low and drivable. I spent over 6 months figuring out the numbers to get my car go as low as i wanted.

I may change the bumpstops Jake to poly 25mm ones to gain some extra travel, clearance at the rockers front and rear in now 6inches with a bit more rear travel compared to the front, I could always change the front struts to koni mr2 8641-1142 and section a little bit more to even it out too ( the corolla 8641-1146 are NLA)

Here is one I have been setting up for reference, measurements written on the guard. I know it's flared so it's a bit different but gives you an idea what we are running. This is one of the reasons i went for strut adjustable coilovers.

Ride height is car on the ground, measured from the middle of the flare to the middle of the bearing cap. Strut length = strut tube length (365mm) to where the tube meets the cast knuckle. Chassis rail is about 10cm off the ground when the car is on the floor.

This is what our struts look like:

2014-09-11-12.54.13.jpg?_subject_uid=104468981&w=AADfTRL3S474BclTJ_M2fQGgkudCPSPAFhz55ggMf9HWyA

2014-08-30-17.53.jpg?_subject_uid=104468981&w=AAByOTP5AH8RqaYLmSsAWBxbV14VJQ6LGtaboD7-RrrTcw[