Fujitsubo Legalis R

andyk_79

resurrecting this topic.

every car I've owned has had a shop made exhaust and always without fail I end up with a droney unbearable system and spend time and money changing muffflers adding/changing resonators etc etc. You got to an exhaust shop and they're all experts but really they know crap especially if you have something different.

On my Renault Clio Sport I have an English aftermarket sport system with 2.5" pipes. It drones, but not too bad. I wanted to eliminate it totally so I contacted Di Filipo exhaust in Melbourne after seeing a new type of resonator they had. They replied with "Your system is too big" and didn't try to sell me something that probably wouldn't work.

So getting to the point. Big single systems will drone. A 2.5" system on a Z will drone. You can play with mufflers and resonators to reduce it, but it will always drone and without fail at 100-120km/h on the freeway.

Twin systems such as the Fujitsubo Legalis R is the way to go. Looks good is  well made and won't drone.

attachicon.gifLEGALIS-1.jpgattachicon.gifLEGALIS-2.jpg

You've obviously never dealt with a professional performance exhaust builder...

And you've made some big assumptions in your post, too.

I've built many 2.5 & 3 inch free flowing systems for Zeds in at LCR now, mostly made from stainless mandrel bends using quality stainless Mangaflow mufflers.

Neither size 'drones' at any given RPM range - most are actually TOO quiet & more induction noise is heard when driving...!

3-inch-exhaust.jpg

I'm more than happy to demonstrate this point by taking people for a ride in a customer's Zed fitted with one of these exhausts, at any time :)

The Fujitsubo system is fine for a stock Zed, but there is no way I'd call it a performance exhaust.

There is also fitment issues with it...

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

It's horses for courses, but there are issues to be aware of...

Edited by Lurch ™

• Administrators

Wow I'm surprised the about the fitment issue. I would have thought it would be spot on. Are you sure it was a Fujitsubo system and not some knock off?

http://www.buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/w105405538Juststuff some steel wool in there - she'll be right!

Ha!

We sed to do that with the RX2 rally car, and plenty other cars, once we knew they were doing pre-event start noise testing.

Shove two bxes worth up the end, idle in, bring rpm's up gently, get the OK, and dle off.

Get down the road, a fair way,,, big bootfull, it all comes flying out.

The rotaries, it was all on fire! You made sure it was on bitumen, never in the forest!

Lurch I'd love to sample some of your systems. I'm assuming the 3" systems you've done would have been for race cars?

When I do finally get a Z I'll have to get the system made down there unless you can recommend someone in Sydney.

The assumptions I've made are from personal experience. I've been in a friends modified XR6 turbo with a 90mm (I think he said) single system and it was unbearable, then that system was ditched for a twin 2.5" which was really good. My old 280ZX 2 seater got better with changes but the drone was never eliminated and the same goes with my Clio 172.

so what $$ are we talking about for a 2.5" system for a Z

Lurch I'd love to sample some of your systems. I'm assuming the 3" systems you've done would have been for race cars?

When I do finally get a Z I'll have to get the system made down there unless you can recommend someone in Sydney.

The assumptions I've made are from personal experience. I've been in a friends modified XR6 turbo with a 90mm (I think he said) single system and it was unbearable, then that system was ditched for a twin 2.5" which was really good. My old 280ZX 2 seater got better with changes but the drone was never eliminated and the same goes with my Clio 172.

The 3 inch systems have been built for both road & track Zeds. They have a deep, quiet 'burble' while allowing for full gas flow. And they sit up nice & high so they don't get caught on anything...

We now have a jig for the 3 inch system which will allow time & cost to be reduced.

We haven't 'jigged' a 2.5inch system, as we actually don't do many of them in that size, but if an interstate customer wanted one, I'm sure we could work something out ;)

Cost wise, it would be around the $1000.00 mark for a 2.5 inch system.

Bare in mind, the systems we've built have been mated up to the SW Motorsport style extractors, so if you wanted to use a different style of header, we'd need the car.

I don't know of anyone on Sydney who I can recommend, sorry. Maybe try SW Motorsport?

In any case I'm happy to freight exhaust systems :)

The Fujitsubo system is fine for a stock Zed, but there is no way I'd call it a performance exhaust.

There is also fitment issues with it...

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

It's horses for courses, but there are issues to be aware of...

The above post could do with a little bit of context expansion.

If all the Fujitsubo 'Legalis' systems fitted as badly as whatever it is that's illustrated in your photos, they - quite simply - would not sell. So what's the story?

The above post could do with a little bit of context expansion.

If all the Fujitsubo 'Legalis' systems fitted as badly as whatever it is that's illustrated in your photos, they - quite simply - would not sell. So what's the story?

The story is Alan, that on this car, it did not fit well.

Edited by Lurch ™

Pop into MIA Engines in Brookvale, owner is a forum member here.

He's done quite a few systems for cars, and certainly knows what works.

You could ask them to do a "Before and After" run on his rolling road dyno, to see the true results.

He's also a dab hand at getting cars to run a lot better as well!

Ask for Fat Jimmy,,,,,, tell him Chuckles in Brisbane sent you,,,,,

• 2 months later...

Rudolph has the tail section for his 2 + 2.  I think the full system though would be difficult with the longer wheelbase.  Unless you're confident bending/welding an extension piece yourself money wise I suspect you would be better off getting a custom system made ?

• 3 months later...

Confirmation that what Lurch said above about the Fujitsubo Legalis system and fitment has rung true for me.

After sitting in my garage for about 18 months they were finally getting fitted up this week and have had an email that the intermediate pipes foul on the auto trans and need to be modified.  With what I paid plus shipping to Aus and now $300 to $500 to modify (they're being cut and re-bent) - a custom system would have been a cheaper option.

Headers and rear section fit well (need to get a new heat shield fabricated but that was kinda expected).

Pictures tell the story:

image_zps6c4xxome.jpeg

image%201_zpsiz9o6ic0.jpeg

image%202_zpsugxqy5yx.jpeg

Confirmation that what Lurch said above about the Fujitsubo Legalis system and fitment has rung true for me.

After sitting in my garage for about 18 months they were finally getting fitted up this week and have had an email that the intermediate pipes foul on the auto trans and need to be modified.  With what I paid plus shipping to Aus and now $300 to $500 to modify (they're being cut and re-bent) - a custom system would have been a cheaper option.

Headers and rear section fit well (need to get a new heat shield fabricated but that was kinda expected).

Question: Did you purchase the Fujitsubo system in the belief that it would work with the auto trans? Was that a question that was specifically asked?

I've got no horse in this race (I don't have a Fujitsubo system) but it seems to me that they have a reputation for being well made and of fitting properly. The occasional anecdotal evidence of bad fit seems to be down to, ahem, other factors...

I take your point, however on a bog standard S30 it is not a question that I thought to ask for a product marketed as a product for all S30 models - No caveats in their product info etc.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a caution note in their information for this system, saying that it doesn't fit Auto trans equipped models without modification.

Japanese companies are usually quite scrupulous about this kind of warning, as consumer laws are so much in favour of the customer over there.

and now $300 to $500 to modify (they're being cut and re-bent)

Might not be the right solution for you but I would be spending the $300 - $500 on a manual conversion rather than bending an expensive piece of kit to suit an auto.

Just my 2c

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Im looking for a new/used exhaust system. I want the FGK for the sound and style and obviously the small performance increase as mine is leaking.

So my question is, does it fit a 240z with a L28 though?

As the catalogue shows it only fits the L20 and L24

https://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/prods/detail/000000000000000296/00000000000000000477/00000546

https://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/prods/detail/000000000000000979/00000000000000002324/00000546

Then buying it from RHD Japan. and plus $500 ish for freight.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/fujitsubo-legalis-r-exhaust-muffler-nissan-fairlady-z-s30-hs30.html

http://www.rhdjapan.com/fujitsubo-super-ex-header-exhaust-manifold-nissan-s30-hs30-gs30-gc10-kgc10.html

I have a guy who can replicate the system and have it fitted for $2500. Yes, still twin loop system. Is the FGK really worth the hassle?