Datsun Grey/Gray Paint

gav240z

• Administrators

Yeah the general consensus is that the paint colour isn't going to be easy to match when looking at parts that are now 45+ years old and expecting the paint to look like it did from factory.

Have a look at the post I made here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/11264-safari-brown-i-mean-gold-the-nsw-project/?p=175177

Check out the difference in colour between the rear garnish set and the hubcaps.

IMG_20160327_181244.jpg

Nevermind the socks! I just got home from a long flight and didn't want to wear shoes anymore when I took the photo. :). However I believe the rear garnish is closer to the 'correct' colour. But generally speaking I'd eye ball it and maybe test a few different options to see which you like most.

Thanks for the help all,   I have wick humbles book, thought  - great here's the answer -  But my painter politely laughed at me !   I think i'll go the duplicolour with clear over - the painter seems happy with this approach.

• Administrators

"A good match for the original paint is Ditzler Duracryl DDL 2862 Argent with quite a bit of suede additive.

The formula is:
1 pint DDL
200 units DX265
300 units DX264
Thin 100-150% and spray on fairly dry. Regulate air pressure to the high side.
Swirl paint around in the cup constantly to help keep texture additives in suspension. 
Maintain spray gun distance and overlap coverage on the final coat, or variations in surface texture may be unacceptable.
This paint should have no gloss, so don't expect any!
Unmask trim as soon as paint has had a few minutes to flash up."
( Your painter should understand this - I don't  :o - eg. what volume of paint is a 'unit'? )

I have wick humbles book, thought  - great here's the answer -  But my painter politely laughed at me !  

It probably made sense at the time he wrote it but I don't understand any of it either. I suspect that's why your painter was laughing also.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Pics of my garnish, which is in pristine untouched condition. Colour on my hubcaps is identical.

I suspect on Silver cars, the rear garnish panel colour was changed to offset against the Silver body paint...just something I've observed because it appears on Silver cars it's a darker almost black colour.

My 73 240z was pretty original, not really messed with. Just missing the OEM Hitachi Radio. Photo attached.

Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 10.39.22 AM.png

• Moderators

I suspect on Silver cars, the rear garnish panel colour was changed to offset against the Silver body paint...just something I've observed because it appears on Silver cars it's a darker almost black colour.

That would not suprise me, it is what is usually done today with decals.

One colour for dark cars and a darker one for lighter coloured cars.

Hi Gav,

Not sure if you are still looking for the paint.

If anybody is in contact with Adam Fairfax (brown hornet), I gave his painter a tin of paint that was perfect colour match. Never got it back. Maybe it still exists.

I have a set of NOS rear tail light panels and the back is a red oxide paint and the grey is matt with a metallic grain. I will add a photo over the weekend.

When I gave the paint to Adam I asked that the painter spray a swatch card so I could let other people restoring 240's use the swatch to match.

The grille, hubcaps and rear panel should be the same colour.

I have attached a photo of a new grille that shoes the matt finish.

post-101180-0-63955800-1465550767_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Hi Gav,

Not sure if you are still looking for the paint.

If anybody is in contact with Adam Fairfax (brown hornet), I gave his painter a tin of paint that was perfect colour match. Never got it back. Maybe it still exists.

Sent him an email said he would look for it and let me know.

I have a set of NOS rear tail light panels and the back is a red oxide paint and the grey is matt with a metallic grain. I will add a photo over the .

Yep, same deal, when I had my tail light panel off It had that reddish paint for reasons unknown. It also had a white sticker on the back also...dont ask me to take a pic !

Thread sideline.......

Hows your zed coming along ? I recall having a good chat to you at the Goulbourn Nationals a while back ( I parked mine next to yours )

• Administrators

Yep, same deal, when I had my tail light panel off It had that reddish paint for reasons unknown. It also had a white sticker on the back also...dont ask me to take a pic !

Not the best example but yes the redish tinge is definitely stock..seen it on quite a few.

nkbr2295-img600x450-1465283389lrd6jc24486.jpg

I gave my tail light surrounds a hit with some of the Duplicolor HWP102 yesterday. See pics below. It looks good to me, but I'm not as anal as some in regards to originality and I don't have anything to compare it with. I haven't used any sort of clear over the top. My car is also a darker shade than the original 907 green, it's not low light, so this should be a fairly good representation of the colour.

post-103432-0-29357000-1465698188_thumb.jpeg

post-103432-0-66259100-1465698117_thumb.jpeg

post-103432-0-66527200-1465698142_thumb.jpeg

They were black originally. Then I painted them with a metallic grey, which was actually a Toyota colour from the Duplicolor range, but that ended up looking blue rather than grey. Looks much better now I reckon. They are actually different surrounds than the ones in that earlier photo. Those ones were pretty rough and didn't have the trim around the tail light holes, so that also helps with them looking better now.

The angled 240Z badge isn't a "series 1" thing, it's a previous owner thing. I'm not going to bother changing it until I do some paint and panel work on the hatch.

The hatch vents were in the car when I got it. There is various sellers on eBay that have them for sale. e.g http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240Z-1970-71-Rear-Hatch-Grille-Vent-Set-NEW-OEM-428-/322109877344

Warren from All Z Parts in Hornsby had a set on eBay a couple of months ago. Could try contacting him to see if he has any more, although he has apparently had some health issues and has not been on the job in recent times, so some patience may be required here.

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/nissandatsun_parts

Cheers, not looking for the vents, but for the stainless trim around the tail light holes. I have not seen any for sale anywhere, yet.

Ah....I totally misunderstood.

Never seen just those trims for sale by themselves either. I ended up buying a good complete used set of tail light surrounds from the US which had the stainless trim on them.

• Administrators

I managed to meet up with Adam who restored the Brown Hornet. I got the grey paint sample pot off him.

Will see if we can replicate the magic mix.

• Administrators

So just chatting to the paint guy here at my Tafe course. He told me to ring PPG on 13 24 24 and talk to the folks on the phone and ask for the trim colour used on the hubcaps, grille, rear tail light garnish etc..

If they have the code great if not we will use the sample tin spray it let it dry and then come back following week and use spectrometer to try and determine the exact colour.

• 2 weeks later...