Datsun Grey/Gray Paint

gav240z

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where you can get paint that matches the original 'Datsun Grey' used on the rear light panel, front grill, hub-caps etc?

24672d1219208187-have-rear-panel-painted-leave-black-dsc01427.jpg

Seen here also:

I found this comment in a thread here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-s30-z-discussions/26354-have-rear-panel-painted-leave-black.html#post265331

But I'm not sure if we have those paints available in Australia? Has anyone found a suitable product locally?

That grey rear panel on that Oregon car doesn't look at all right..., maybe it's the photo though....but the original colour I'm familiar with is a far darker grey & has a metallic fleck in it, not a solid colour. More of a charcoal than a grey, unless there were variations over the years?

Similar with the grille, & again on the hubcaps (yes I had an unrestored set until on-sold a few years ago).

• Administrators

Yeah I've seen that before George but the price is rather eye watering and that's before shipping. I also don't think 1 can will do the rear garnish and grill.

Surely someone has found something suitable locally?

• Administrators

Just found this thread also:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/body-paint-s30/13593-color-grill-rear-tail-light-panel.html

@Ledge the St George tafe may have a Spectrometer in the paint shop area. I'll ask.

My Gold 240z has the original tail light and grill still in their original colours but they have years of wear and tear so the colour may not be original.

@Mike - Let me ask at the Tafe and I'll let you know if I need to borrow it for paint matching. At least we will have a local option that way.

I just figured this would be a good small job I could do next on my car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

It would seem lighting makes this grey panel look quite different. Here are some examples.

%2524_57+%252815%2529.JPG

z432-PS30-3.jpg

1970-Nissan-Fairlady-Z-432-10.jpg

1970-Nissan-Fairlady-Z-432-2.jpg

But I found this and quite like the way it looks. I'm guessing this isn't original though? Looks like a gloss / sheen to it. Have to say though it looks good against 920 gold.

CIMG7737.jpg

CIMG7736.jpg

CIMG7740.jpg

CIMG7739.jpg

Yes it does look a little too glossy to be original. But if it was in really good original condition or a NOS part the owner might have applied a clear coating over it to preserve it perhaps? Personally I think a low sheen or a satin finish panel across the back looks better. And that was what was typically used back in the day.

Just found this thread also:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/body-paint-s30/13593-color-grill-rear-tail-light-panel.html

@Ledge the St George tafe may have a Spectrometer in the paint shop area. I'll ask.

My Gold 240z has the original tail light and grill still in their original colours but they have years of wear and tear so the colour may not be original.

@Mike - Let me ask at the Tafe and I'll let you know if I need to borrow it for paint matching. At least we will have a local option that way.

I just figured this would be a good small job I could do next on my car.

Hey Gav, just wondering if you got the original colour confirmed?

I think I will need to get my grille and tail light panel done also.

Mick

• Administrators

Mick

I was at the Tafe Course last night and completely forgot to ask. I will try and remember next time and perhaps take my rear garnish piece in - if I can find a spot on it that looks like the paint is decent still.

@Mossy - looks good, if you get a chance to take another photo of your rear panel in better light please upload it? Do you know what the paint was matched to? As in do you have any info from when it was matched?

*Edit I found some of your photos ;)

489k.jpg

bwpi.jpg

That looks pretty close to me.

• Administrators

Gav if you have a local panel shop that uses PPG

they may be able to scan it if the have a Spectrometer.

If not send a section to me and I can scan it.

it will give a formula that can be mixed up.

Mick

Hey guys,

I can confirm they use PPG paint and I saw them using the Spectrometer yesterday in the shop. If someone has a good sample of the original grey paint I can probably use it to get the correct colour sample then once it's on the computer I can try and get the file and upload it here so anyone can get it mixed up at a local paint shop.

a spectrometer doesn't always give a correct reading. It takes 5 different samples in 1 reading of light reflection then cross references with the data on the computer for a match. One thing it cant do is read particle size. I tried this path with my 240k and just ended up eye matching it as know colour existed to what i needed. Still worth a go, just be aware of its downsides.

• 5 months later...

It seems the Americans are using this colour for the rear light panel and for the hubcaps.

Duplicolour # 102 Graphite...

Try image googling duplicolor 102 graphite for images... (Use American spelling for "color")

I just compared my hubcaps to the rear light panel and the colour is damn close..

For $20 on evilbay, could be worth a shot.

Not sure about the flares, but personally would prefer gloss...the light panel is definetely flat-matte.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Duplicolor-High-Temp-Wheel-Paint-Graphite-11-oz-Aerosol-hwp102-/321637505107

Yeah thanks but i don't really want a rattle can, I'm going to get it all sprayed in 2 pack while my car is at the panel beaters and I agree on the gloss.

So if anyone has details on colour mix that would be great, otherwise i guess i will have to buy the spray can or just guess something that looks right.

• Administrators

From this post and from the experience others have had using a spectrometer I figured it was going to be a trial and error sort of process. I completely forgot to use the 1 they have at Tafe and won't be back in the class until late February I don't think.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Thanks, I still haven't had a chance to use a colour Spectrometer to check what value it spits out. So good to know Dupli-color has something close. Good news is we get Dupli-Color products here.

Hi All, getting my tail light surround painted too, as part of a resto. It seems nailing down an actual product code isn't going to happen for the colour.

So, my painter has offered me to look at samples. Is there anyone in Melbourne, preferably eastern side, with an original rear garnish I could inspect and match / choose the closest match too?

Pm me if able to help.

Cheers.

Hi ilbert,

As Gavin said earlier in this topic, an original tail light surround with the factory paint will have discoloured by now (unless its an unused NOS item).

Most of the US 240Z owners use Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating - HWP102 (as mentioned above by SacCyclone) followed by a matte clear paint.
For the clear they use Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Multi-Purpose Paint - 1902 Matte Clear, but I am sure there would be other alternatives available locally.

If you want to use a compressor and spray gun, the best advice seems to be to follow the formula given in Wick Humble's book "How To Restore Your Datsun Z-Car" (pp 174-175), which states;

"A good match for the original paint is Ditzler Duracryl DDL 2862 Argent with quite a bit of suede additive.
The formula is:
1 pint DDL
200 units DX265
300 units DX264
Thin 100-150% and spray on fairly dry. Regulate air pressure to the high side.
Swirl paint around in the cup constantly to help keep texture additives in suspension. 
Maintain spray gun distance and overlap coverage on the final coat, or variations in surface texture may be unacceptable.
This paint should have no gloss, so don't expect any!
Unmask trim as soon as paint has had a few minutes to flash up."
( Your painter should understand this - I don't  :o - eg. what volume of paint is a 'unit'? )

Most also agree that the same colour (and matte finish) was used on the grille and hubcaps.

References