Proud new owner :) Imported 1976 Fairlady

• Moderators

Grab a vernier caliper and check strut diameter just in case yours have been swapped. Don't measure circumference...pretty pointless. ALl 260's came with 55mm tubes and 240's came with 51mm. Just make sure what you have on all four corners. Although shocks fit all tube sizes its nothing you need to worry about but spring diameters might be different.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grab a vernier caliper and check strut diameter just in case yours have been swapped. Don't measure circumference...pretty pointless. ALl 260's came with 55mm tubes and 240's came with 51mm. Just make sure what you have on all four corners. Although shocks fit all tube sizes its nothing you need to worry about but spring diameters might be different.

Yeah I wasn't too sure I was measuring right,

I have a vernier caliper, should I be taking the measurements like in the first pic with the measuring tape? ie; in between the strut top & spring perch?

Many people have tried the late 260z low king springs in an early 260z or 240z and found that it actually raised the car.

So does that suggest that the spring perch of a 240z / early 260z is slightly higher up on the strut compared to a later 260z strut??

got the calipers out. Definitely 55mm shock body & tubes front & rear. So looks like I'll be getting KDFL-04 front & KDRS-09 rear king springs.

KYB appear to have the easiest to source shocks for 260z/280z from all the places I've asked around. It's just a street car so they should be sufficient.

Now looking into my options for front TC/castor rods

Anybody have suggestions for where to source bushing replacements? I'd prefer rubber but all I can find so far are urethane.

I tried those ones, very stiff so even though they are lots shorter than stock springs (which vary a good deal depending on a range of factors) my car was if anything about 15mm higher than before on it's old, tired, modified-by-being-re-set to -20mm, springs.

The King 260Z rears must be for a 2+2, whereas mine's a 2-seat; 2+2 springs & tubes are taller than on the 2-seat.

So while the rears, being the taller of the two pairs, were just captured by the spring retainers, the fronts weren't by about 10-12mm on full droop so not happy with that, not wiring them on either.

So I gave up & put the originals back on. I don't know where King got their specs from but IMHO the 260 ones are too stiff & too short.

+1 for the rubber - urethane is a complete WOFTAM. USA suppliers?

I'm hoping the springs will be just right for my car as I've got later model 260z struts. Apparently early model 260z should go for 240z spring from what I've been told.

Just a wait and see thing I guess. I'm looking for TC rods & bushes + Zcar63 is making up a set of adjustable control arms for me so I'll wait until I have all the parts before getting them fitted at a shop

You're right about the earliest 260s having the same front struts as the 240s.

But as it happens I also have the later 260Z front struts, retro-fitted; one of mine was damaged so I changed them out for the later style, they're slightly shorter so dropped the front of the car just a little which helped combat tail-squat under acceleration.

I hope the springs work OK on your car, but I was disappointed, luckily they're not a big ticket item.

Try this style T/C kit, http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC10/23-4190

I have seen them on ebay pretty regularly also.

They fit on the front of the rod, urethane or rubber on the rear after the TC box mount. They are solid so wont compress under heavy load or cornering, but they still allow the rod end to pivot as the suspension moves up or down. I ran mine for many years and only switched to fully adjustable type during my rebuild.

With the shorter springs, if your having trouble with too much droop or non captive springs, try a shorter shock like Z31 300zx. The 240z KYB GR2 gas will be great with the king springs (I ran this exact combo), with a 23mm front bar and 18mm rear, it'll handle like a go kart! 

Gareth J, are you saying that the Z31 300ZX strut insert fits our 55mm tubes, & is, what, maybe 15mm or so shorter?

Not sure on the stock 240z shock tube length, but my Z31 300zx tube length is 340mm and the spacer was 25mm or 35mm IIRC. Not sure on the full length including shaft, but they're definitely shorter.