Proud new owner :) Imported 1976 Fairlady

I took out the booster, "a little bit awkward" is a bit of an understatement lol  :P

felt like a contortionist cramming myself into the footwell, naturally of course the most awkward bolt to get to was also rounded  >:(

by some stroke of luck I was able to loosen it & take it off but not without swearing like a drunken sailor in the process hahaha

Should get the new booster in the mail so fingers crossed no issues with that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's nothing out of the ordinary, even for today. The part maker for the booster is bendix so nissan/datsun would have a had a supply contract with them at the time, probably a lot more cost effective than producing in house etc.

I've owned imports since I was a teenager & the Japanese always mix English in their cars eg. the dials & buttons for aircon & radio have always been in English. More modern cars like my V36 with factory touchscreen display was mixed with English & Japanese.

As for the reason why... I have no idea  :P

• Administrators

My Japanese Market FD RX-7 has English labels/stickers etc.. in many places. Some of them are in Japanese though. So like said above - bit of a mixed bag.

The part maker for the booster is bendix so nissan/datsun would have a had a supply contract with them at the time, probably a lot more cost effective than producing in house etc.

Everything relevant is on the red label.

The booster was actually manufactured in Japan by Jidosha Kiki (they made several parts for these cars) but the design was licensed from Bendix (USA) who held the patent. It's quite a common arrangement, and you'll see a lot more of it on an S30-series Z if you look into it closely enough.

There were some special labels and stickers for the Japanese maarket models, but for everyday items that were shared across several market variants (and also several other models other than the S30...) labels, stickers, logos and other data were written in English. 

'Kiki' just means pump. It's pronounced like "kick-ee" rather than "kee-kee".

Take a peep at the history of the Bosch Group in Japan for an inkling of just how complicated the founding/merging/takeover/renaming side of things can get in Japanese industry:  http://www.bosch.co.jp/en/japan/history/chronology/

Jidosha Kiki's history is interwoven with that of the Bosch Group in Japan, and that of its sister company Diesel Kiki ( now ZEXEL ).

Got the replacement booster, definitely a difference but luckily it all cleared in the engine bay & it mounted right-side up :)

20140717_181348640x383_zpsf323fd9a.jpg

Probably the hardest bit was putting back the bolts on the firewall, very awkward but all in all only took half an hour at most.

The brakes are good now & no more rough Idle which is awesome. The booster is a bit too powerful for the stock brakes as they come on very strong at the end of the pedal travel, hopefully it's not an issue for the blue-slip inspection. At least the booster is working & it will pass the brake test no problem

That's the last thing needed to be addressed, hopefully it'll be rego'd by this saturday :)

If so I'm Cruising all weekend hahaha

As long as the brakes aren't locking up too easily you should be fine. Good luck and I'm still jealous that you'll have rego before me!

Thanks guys, just have to go to the inspection on saturday morning. If the inspector still isn't happy with it I've still go until next weekend to play around with the booster as I've got 14 days from the first inspection to pass the follow up inspection, after that I'll need to pay again for another inspection when it's ready.

As long as the brakes aren't locking up too easily you should be fine. Good luck and I'm still jealous that you'll have rego before me!

Don't be too Jealous mate, you just might get rego before me the way I'm going hahaha :P

Took it for inspection & he said the brakes were locking up way too easily, he let me go to get it sorted but told me to be very careful driving home, quite rightly.

Got it home safe & tried playing around with the brake booster push rod but all it did was change the pedal stiffness, The rears still want to lock up at the end of the pedal travel.

I tried taking the rear drum covers off to have a look & now I've stuffed up the handbrake somehow, it won't engage anymore. & I can't put the drum cover back on my left side for some reason  :-[

I'm gonna post a thread in the braking section to ask for help how to sort out my braking woes,

I feel like such a moron!

Just have to call it a day & try again tomorrow!  ;D

Rear drum brakes locking up is typically brake fluid leaking out and getting on the brake shoes or poor adjustment.

There is a adjustment screw on the opposing side to the cylinder. Adjust this to minimum and put the drum back on. You can then adjust it with a blade screw driver through the hole in the backing plate that should have a rubber bung in it. Adjust it out until you can feel it just touch the drum and then go back a touch,

post-482-144023756693_thumb.jpg

post-482-144023756698_thumb.jpg

Rear drum brakes locking up is typically brake fluid leaking out and getting on the brake shoes or poor adjustment.

There is a adjustment screw on the opposing side to the cylinder. Adjust this to minimum and put the drum back on. You can then adjust it with a blade screw driver through the hole in the backing plate that should have a rubber bung in it. Adjust it out until you can feel it just touch the drum and then go back a touch,

Cheers mate, I checked the brake lines & drums, they're all dry so might be adjustment, I'll give that a go tomorrow.

I'm also having a few other brake issues if you don't mind checking out my other thread guys

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,14625.msg155165.html#msg155165

Muchas Gracias!

• 2 weeks later...

How did you go with the re-inspection Yo-yo ?  I'm hoping your latest accessory for the car is a set of number plates  ;)

Hi Andy.

didn't pass unfortunately but the inspector indicated he might sign off on it if I can fix the brakes soon probably by this weekend. If not I'll just have to fork out for another inspection.

I'm getting the stock booster reconditioned & whacking it back in, I'll use the 280zx booster again when I get the bigger fronts & rear discs. Hopefully that does the trick!

Passed Blueslip. Got Rego ;D

Busy Day. Picked up my new wheels & front air dam from Ben at Otomoto. This will give you an idea of the cosmetic styling I'm going for.

20140802_1304481024x576_zps97dd0ed3.jpg

20140802_1528051024x576_zpsf3681f84.jpg

Spotted this today

20140802_1153401024x200_zpse8ea879b.jpg

Took out the old girl on her maiden voyage. Running like clockwork.

20140802_1653321024x658_zps6e0d0414.jpg

20140802_1649521024x595_zps79065810.jpg

20140802_1650171024x576_zps53b99aed.jpg

20140802_1649271024x577_zpsf9c81033.jpg