Proud new owner :) Imported 1976 Fairlady

Hi Guys. I've been lurking on here for awhile but proud to say as of tonight I am the owner of an S30z!

Had it imported from Japan by Diyimports, which I highly recommend. Craig made the process very simple & hassle free.

It's a 1976 S30z Fairlady from Japan. 5 speed transmission. It's in outstanding condition for a 38 year old car! I checked all the usual places (having learned by the helpful people on here) & could only find a paint chip on the front guard near the driver side window about 1/4 size of a 5c coin that has surface rust, the rest of the body is rust free, can't find any bubbles so far.

The engine is running a little bit rough in the low revs & idle but otherwise very strong. I'll put some fresh fuel in it tomorrow & do an oil change. I'll probably change the spark plugs while I'm at it.

I'm looking forward to being more active on these forums getting advice. I used to own R32/R34 skylines & more recently V36 skylines. I still have my 350z which I currently have up for sale.

Cheers Guys! ;D

20140627_184615800x450_zps185ffa6b.jpg

20140627_181019800x450_zps86c71b97.jpg

20140627_185316800x386_zps42ce2ed2.jpg

20140627_182920800x450_zpscd673920.jpg

20140627_191533800x450_zpsa656b3e2.jpg

v2m5autRSmJqkauwL0dnmpnmU1zCVdcXn18Ordv5p8VDoJK6ZewwMwEPK6PZdcohkfWYBDN-ZtS8qOh65EEObj_zpsf7d9796b.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh yeah... Forgot to say all the electrics are working. I'll have to get an FM booster for the stereo but all good.

The seals are good. Door seals are a bit cracked but otherwise ok.

I've already ordered a set of 16" Watanabe R types in black

Once I get my tax refund I'll be ordering a set of coilovers, swaybars & strut braces.

Eventually I'd like to do a big brake conversion with rear discs

LSD in the rear

Long run plan I want to do a high power L28 build  :D

ahhhh what an excellent outcome! to be honest i wasn't sure if you were talking rubbish when you first posted up, but im glad to see your success. car looks real nice, and that website you linked to had Japanese auctions to search, that's dangerous for me,  ill spend many hours looking on there for S30z's and dreaming while searching hako suka's.

get a build thread started mang!

Rudolf.

Congrats and let the fun begin!

Looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh. Also, with you having been through the process of importing a car, you would be able to advise other members should they wish to do the same. I wouldn't mind in the future look at a DR30, hako or kenmeri.

cheers, Mike.

• Administrators

I have to laugh a little, you've bought a Fairlady S30Z which would have come with fender mirrors, some owner in Japan has stuck door mirrors on like export markets. You've now imported it to Australia and will be putting fender mirrors back on.

Anyway I'm not 100% sure but I think these are Fairlady Z (S31) Fender mirrors. Which would be correct for your year Z.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Mustang-Chev-Mopar-Dodge-Chrome-Metal-Door-Mirrors-Pair-New-Old-Stock-/201114208283

a_241.jpg

No.075__Fairlady_Z-T.jpg

I just got an email from the seller though and he seems to think they are too short and large to be for a Z.

I personally like the long black stalk version of the fender mirrors more myself.

hehe yeah I can see the humour in the Japanese owner wanting to look different by adding door mirrors & then me bringing it here only to have them put back on :)

I definitely like the bullet style mirrors, would this style be suitable? Forget the price of them I am just asking styling wise would they be correct?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-1600-BLUEBIRD-510-SSS-JDM-NEW-OLD-STOCK-FENDER-MIRRORS-/390868404391?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b019288a7&_uhb=1

I guess I'll start a build thread when I have something noteworthy to report haha. For now just getting it running smoothly.

New blood

20140628_162956800x450_zpsab63190a.jpg

New filter, you can see the size difference

20140628_155855627x800_zps11dcafca.jpg

New sparkies

20140628_143829800x674_zps0230d37f.jpg

20140628_144408800x450_zpsb3fc3d03.jpg

Purring like a kitten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6k-gQDdISI

Surprise surprise, found some notable rust on the floorpanels

20140628_104113450x800_zps6fd0a0bf.jpg

Driver's side has a little surface rust but seems ok otherwise. Passenger side has big crack in the paint, looks fine from the undercarriage, does this warrant some preventative action?

Also, is it worth getting those fancy blue ignition leads I see people get?

• Administrators

That stuff on the floor is sound-deadening, you wouldn't know how bad the rust is (if anything) unless you removed it. It looks pretty minor if you can see under the car - you should be able to check how solid the floor pan is. As for prevention, if the car is garaged I wouldn't worry. If you want to be really thorough you could remove the sound deadener and rust proof floors.

As for fancy leads, it is up to you. You probably won't notice any difference in performance. NGK leads are the best if you can get them, they also fit on the little tabs on the valve cover properly (Top Gun leads don't fit the plugs as snugly and are a bit fat for the spark plug holders on the valve cover).

You could look at the ones Eiji from Datsun Spirit has that routes them around the front of the cover.

http://datsunspirit.com/?wpsc-product=dsi-spark-plug-wires

If you're looking to 'dress it up'.

Congrats and well done on the Z mate.. Best car you could have got.

Out of curiosity, how does the Japanese environment go in terms of car preservation and rust etc..Surrounded by sea, salt and radiation in the air, lots of cold??

I guess I'll start a build thread when I have something noteworthy to report haha. For now just getting it running smoothly.

New blood

20140628_162956800x450_zpsab63190a.jpg

New filter, you can see the size difference

20140628_155855627x800_zps11dcafca.jpg

New sparkies

20140628_143829800x674_zps0230d37f.jpg

20140628_144408800x450_zpsb3fc3d03.jpg

Purring like a kitten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6k-gQDdISI

Surprise surprise, found some notable rust on the floorpanels

20140628_104113450x800_zps6fd0a0bf.jpg

Driver's side has a little surface rust but seems ok otherwise. Passenger side has big crack in the paint, looks fine from the undercarriage, does this warrant some preventative action?

Also, is it worth getting those fancy blue ignition leads I see people get?

While the Penrite HPR15 is probably fine to use - I would recommend HPR30 for your future changes :)

While the Penrite HPR15 is probably fine to use - I would recommend HPR30 for your future changes :)

Cheers mate, will do :)

Congrats and well done on the Z mate.. Best car you could have got.

Out of curiosity, how does the Japanese environment go in terms of car preservation and rust etc..Surrounded by sea, salt and radiation in the air, lots of cold??

Yeah gotta be careful with some cars in the regions where there is snow or if the owners live right on the coast. Most import brokers have contacts who can inspect the car in person before it goes up for auction. As far as radiation goes I don't know, but the cars have to pass quarantine & customs before release here.

My headlights decided to stop working >:( both high & low beam. Everything else works parkers, indicators, taillights etc.

I checked the fuses, they were ok. I replaced them anyway but still nothing :(

I removed the Driver's side Headlight housing & the bulb was fine, I haven't checked the passenger side yet as it's freezing outside & no space in the garage but I don't think it's the bulbs if both headlights are out.

I've been reading up on the issues & sometimes it's the switch or sometimes it's the grounding wire.

I don't have a multimeter at home but should I be checking the grounding wires at the headlights, at the fusebox or at the switch/steering column?

I'll need to get this sorted before next weekend as I'll be going for engineer certificate then blueslip inspection for rego.

Any help/suggestions is much appreciated guys  :)

Hey Yo Yo

Nice car, I would have been very nervous buying an old import but this looks to be a cracker.

Out of interest, do you get some sort of guarantee / warranty that the car is as described and that if you find any nasties you can make some sort of claim through the company who helped you find it?

With regards to your headlights, give the switch a good wiggle to see if they come good. I have had to reco my 240z headlight switch due to bad contacts.

A good upgrade is a headlight relay if you don't already have one.

Great to see another Sydney Z and look forward to seeing you and your car around.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks guys,

Cozza I don't think there is unfortunately, you can get the inspection sheet from the auction house & if you have a good import broker they can get reports on the car & extra photos before making an offer so it's not without risks.

As with all things research goes a long way to making an informed decision. I searched the import broker to see their reputation, before I made an offer on the car I got the inspection sheet & a lot of photos inside & under the car, I know photos don't always show everything but it helps.

I took a photo, Jiggling about the switch didn't work :(

20140629_190156576x1024_zps100fc0d4.jpg

20140629_190149576x1024_zpsdf693a71.jpg

I think the lights might have come off after I pressed the flash to pass button, both headlights & hi beams do not work. Should I take out the switch altogether? Which wires & connectors should I be checking?

Thanks guys! :D

I don't have a test light unfortunately. I only checked under the steering column so far. I'll get to the fusible links next. If still giving me grief I'll buy a multimeter for more troubleshooting.

just popped out to the garage to take a photo of my fusible links next to the strut tower

20140629_210657800x665_zps06f9f3c1.jpg

are these the ones I should be testing?

I am glad you raised your issues Yo-Yo.  My headlights and park lights aren't working either (but the dash does light up when you turn the switch on) so this thread has actually been technically helpful as well as enjoyable reading about your acquisition.

Enjoy what looks to be a great purchase.