Aussie Jack Miller - a challenger for Marc Marquez?

If anyone watched the French Moto3 GP tonight you would have to agree that Jack Miller was both very very brave and very skillful at the same time. Perhaps not the calculating professional like Stoner and Doohan but more like the fearless Wayne Gardner. Great to watch.

Moto3 always produces the best races and Miller has developed into a genuine Championship contender.  The Honda's are a lot quicker this year but Miller has got great track skills and is not scared to have a go.  He is the best we have at the moment to replace Casey Stoner, but Marquez is a class act and seems to get better each race!

• 1 year later...

Shows that the guy has talent but needs to have some patience to go with it. A race is seldom won in the first few laps. (Unless it's F1). He could have stayed in 6th position for the rest of the race and still been a hero for his great start in the wet. Now Valentino Rossi. There is a man who knows exactly how hard to push in the wet. 10th world championship is just around the corner barring any mishaps. Go Valentino.

I admire Jack but he is going to struggle to retain his seat at LCR. Last night was shades of Anthony West, first opportunity to show everyone what he can really do.....but brain fade got in the way.

He came from way too far back for that to have been a legitimate overtaking manoeuver, I reckon he missed his braking marker and left it too late to go to the outside so was committed to the inside with obvious consequences.

• 1 month later...

The best premier class GP I can recall since France '86.

In Tito Rabat, Jack will have a teammate next year we can really compare him with at Marc VDS. By the way, is 'Marc' a relation (son or grandson) of Count van der Straten who ran an F5000 team in the '70s?

• 5 months later...

Peter,

"Jack Miller admits he became too overconfident after passing Jorge Lorenzo in Sunday's Argentina MotoGP".  I think Miller is becoming a challenger for Marquez in the falling off stakes at least.  He needs to take heed of the rookie 17yo Malaysian rider Pawi in the Moto3 race who smoked everyone and won by nearly 30 seconds!

At least he was very competetive until he crashed. An old theory in motorcycle racing - It is easier to teach someone who is naturally fast to stop crashing than to teach someone to be fast. I genuinely believe he will make it to the top of this game - maybe not world champion but a consistent top runner, it is a hard long road. We can only continue to give him the support he needs along the way.

Yes Casey threw it up the road quite a few times when riding for LCR and before!  With the lack of Aussie riders currently in Motogp I would certainly like JM to do well.  Hopefully he can do better next week at Austin.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What a race last night!!!

Relentless pressure on Jack from Cal and co so result not unexpected but still a great job.

And the rest......more fuel on the fire.