Going to Lakeside tomorrow - hard or soft suspension setting?

grimlynsan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man up and enter the event Doug. Get that shit done!

woohoo another Z (even if it is a new one)  ;)

It's just a fill in until my old zed is going again and then it looks like i might be selling it for a Mopar of some sort.

Man up and enter the event Doug. Get that shiver done!

I spoke with my uncle this morning and mentioned there might be a few Z guys there and he suggested you get a wriggle on and register because it is filling up quickly. The link is posted in this thread a few posts back.

Lee

I cant get the 13th off :(

and I wouldn't enter until I at least started my engine with the new cam..

Yep, and always dubious to pull a sicky on a day for which you were previously denied leave... You'd have to take off the day before and half of the following week to make it look legit ;) On the bright side, this would give you time to get the cam set up!

• 3 weeks later...

I am so looking forward to tomorrow's run at Willowbank! They will be doing 3 circuits throughout the day, which is now fully subscribed. Racing will go to 5pm cause there are less complaining residents than at Lakeside so I have had to buy a jerry can so I can keep going.

It turns out the slicks I got had some cracks in the sidewalls and there were mixed opinions as to their usability. So I grabbed some second hand semis off my uncle and have put them on. They are 225s on 15x8s. The car looks so stupid with flares and tiny little wheels. The wheels are shorter too, by about 5cm so that should make me go faster :-)

They were very slippery to drive on when I had them fitted but apparently they have been sitting for a wee while.

Any last minute advice for this racetrack as compared to Willowbank? I watched a few youtube clips and it seems boring looking in comparison...

Lee

Dunno what your car is like but the long circuit can be hard on brakes. Other than that it's pretty well what you see is what you get, sprint circuit is fun although others prefer the clubman. What brand are the slicks, not Kumho are they?

They are Dunlops. Apparently pretty good ones, $420+ per corner new apparently. Anyway they are only just down to the wear indicator but they were wrapped when I bought them and didn't unwrap them and check for cracking (didn't know to, I am a n00b). They guy I got them off said they were in good nick and I believed him, he was a nice guy. I'm pretty sure he thought they were OK and it would be news to him about the cracking also. Some people say cracking is normal, some say not. Of course no one wants to say "yeah sure bung em on" and then have me die in a horrible incident :-)

I'm not sure what I will do with them.

The semi-slicks I have on there now are mostly used also, they are Yokos I think.

They are in my uncle's shed at the moment. I am sure these semis will wear down after tomorrow or maybe one more outing... we'll see. Then I'll be over to the shed reinspecting them or looking for more second hand stuff.

I don't mind too much about the cycling because I am not competitive. The only reason I am on slicks/semis is cause I want to preserve my road tyres from these little escapades.

Figure it will be cheaper in the long run.

That's also why I got the 15x8 wheels. General advice from members of this forum is that there is a wide variety of cheap/second hand stuff in 15" from those who are more competitive and put on new tyres every outing. This remains to be proven (or does it? I just got these 4 semis off my uncle for $150, but he's sorting me out).

Looks like it might rain tomorrow, so could be putting the road tyres back on anyway.

Unless you get them really cheap then used race tyres are not a good option I reckon. Tyre consistency is helpful in sorting the suspension out for a start and with proper use a new set will last quite a while. Looked at Achilles semis? They are cheap and seem is be good for the money.

"Sorting out the suspension" is something I cannot do. I don't have any adjustable bits other than the damping. Plus I don't know what I'm doing.

I did take a look a them when I was weighing up options. But the consensus was that slicks are cheaper cause they don't have to conform to standards and are not road legal.

Remember I am going for cheapness over grippiness in a sense, as silly as that sounds.

Second hands slicks that are cheaper than second hand semis are generally that cheap for a reason.

Unless they are froma  top tier team in a national series and you know the use the slicks have had then they are a real lottery in what you would get.

I used to run Porsche cup tyres on my zed and will on the S14, but will only buy them from one or two sources and in bulk to ensure I get a good price and good tyres. In doing this I can afford to throw them away after one sprint meeting. For enduro type events I will be buying new slicks.

You would be better off going to a state round and and talking to the IPRA guys, most are using 15" yokis and the ones chasing the sheep stations will be turning over their tyres pretty often so you will get cheap tyres with some life left, again it is best to chase down someone who will have a fair quantity of tyres.

As Richard said for you want the Achillies semis would be a good compromise, a cheap buy in for new and they will be consistent. They won't be as fast as the gun tyres, but then you don't have the suspension adjustment or knowledge and skill to get the best out of them yet. Once you know what you want to do then you will be able to make an informed choice that won't see you throwing money away.

Look at the date on manufacture stamp, it'll be a four digit number, first two are the year, second two are the week in that year.

On slicks, semis, road tyres, the lot.

Ie

Is  year 2010, in the 34th week.

If looking at slicks, the dimples/holes ( about 3mm diam) new, are  usually 4mm deep..

Choose the latest date, and deepest dimples.

I think your uncle runs a 3 series BMW, ask him to ask his BMW mates for some of their s/hand semis, majorityare on 15" rims, hence the larger qty of 15" rubber out there

Gregg Quince ( mx5 club) was offering up 4x near new kumho slicks, approx 1 year old, at $700 they'd be worth looking at.

Oh, and the words "cheap" and "motorspirt" do not work with each other

Thank you all for this useful advice! The Yokis I ran on yesterday were manufactured in 2008, which would explain why they were so cheap, and also had considerably less grip than did my street tyres or so it seemed. They were quite skittish I thought.

I reckon I have another couple of outings left on them; given their age, do you think it's worth applying softener and wrapping until next meet?

I got some times I was happy with and people were generally complimentary about the car's abilities...I was fairly rubbish!

I got a 107.3 on the Clubman which I was very happy with, despite being 2 seconds slower than d3c0y's 350Z.

And I got a 103.8 on the Sprint Circuit.

The track was wet in the morning which was quite unnerving going out but by late morning it was all dried out.

We did all four options throughout the day and while I did enjoy some of the configurations with the left/right combinations which were more of a challenge, it doesn't compare to Lakeside which is up hill and down dale, off camber, bite-you-in-the-ar$e if you're not paying attention driving!

Hopefully I am able to participate non-competitively in the final round of the Z competition at Morgan Park later this year so I can give that a go too, before committing to any series etc down the track.

I have to say, my favourite thing about the day was overtaking Beemer after Beemer! Oh, and of course catching up with fellow forum members!

Lee

post-3641-144023752682_thumb.jpg

post-3641-144023752686_thumb.jpg

post-3641-14402375269_thumb.jpg

Don't put yourself down Lee .

They are respectable times ,especially if that was your first time to the paperclip. You will just get better from now on.With any luck we may be able to have a group booking later in the year along with a breakfast. Then you will be able to see how you go passing a group of Z's on track. That will get the butterflies going.

Aub

Yeh, 2008 is pretty ancient for track tyres. Never used tyre softener myself but what's to lose I guess, someone else here will probably have some experience with it though. You seem to be breaking yourself into sprints pretty well Lee, we all started as newbs don't forget.

My tyres were 2008 models too. I think your issue was that you werent checking the pressure. I took a massive amount of pressure out of mine during the first half of the day. The first four times i pitted i kept putting them back down to 34psi while they were still hot.

When the track dried and got hotter it worked the tyres a heap more and the skittishness you are talking about will happen with over-inflated tyres.

You womt get an entry into the regulars in the A and B series at Morgan Park, BUT, Morgan Park run, later in year ( usually October) a stand alone Qld State Supersprints meeting, that has nothing to do with the A/B series that a few Z's run at.

Contact WDSCC Warwick District Sporting Car Club, to get your name on the mail out list for that one event in October.

Maybe also a good chance for other Qld forum members who aren't running the A&B Sprints series to have a go at.

It will be a CAMS thing, so need to join any CAMS car club, and buy a CAMS L2S license ( Level 2 Speed)

Your QRO/AASA licence is not accepted at CAMS events.

My tyres were 2008 models too. I think your issue was that you werent checking the pressure. I took a massive amount of pressure out of mine during the first half of the day. The first four times i pitted i kept putting them back down to 34psi while they were still hot.

When the track dried and got hotter it worked the tyres a heap more and the skittishness you are talking about will happen with over-inflated tyres.

This!

Newbs are told "run high"

The tyre wont "work"

A semi

( proper soft compound, not some el cheapo from the local Tyrepower " yeah mate its a semi, you'll go fast" type shop)

Say a 225/50x15 on an 8" rim, can be run as low as 24 psi, this allows the sidewall to flexx, keeping the tread width in full contact.

After one/two warm up laps, they'll rise approx 4-6 psi, to an ideal pressure.

To go out with say 38 cold, you'll be at 45, no sidewall movement, car lifts/lowers laterally, and then less tread to ground contact.

1.07 on Clubbie, and 1.32 on National, pretty good first time out.

Jake blitzed the crap out of everyone, another first time out at QR too?

Thanks  ;D

First time QR and first time in 350z, second ever track day.

I warped the crapper out of my new rotors too. Breaking into turn three at 186kph on the national circuit my vision was going blury from the car shuddering so hard haha. RDA rotors = not track friendly.

I won the fast group regularity too :)

Link to the results site, just click on racing http://racing.natsoft.com.au/results/#2

Gresham and Ian Solomon are very experienced drivers in good cars so you did bloody well in the Treefiddy Jake, top marks. And the same for you Lee, Z cars winning and kicking euro backside :D

Z Car Club is CAMS affiliated and lots of members run at Morgan Park. So plenty of support and help if something goes wrong, plus the social scene  ;) is good for those who make a weekend of it at Warwick. My plan is to register for the series next year, looking forward to it.