Going to Lakeside tomorrow - hard or soft suspension setting?

grimlynsan

Hi guys,

Going to Lakeside tomorrow to drive around quickly. Have only done happy laps there previously and slidey stuff on the skidpan but never sprints.

Any advice?

And if you have raced there and have a similar setup, what do you set your suspension to? Hope this doesnt start a war.

Setup

• Big brakes
  • Koni yellows with SW coilovers
  • Super fat street tyres and flares with ridiculous offset 17x90-13 17x9.5 -19
  • Bump steer spacers
  • Polyurethane bush kit
  • LSD 4.11
  • Freshly built engine w/ horsies
  • Hope

Other than that, a normal 260z 2+2

What do you guys reckon?

Lee

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee,

What about wheel alignment? Have you had one done on those wheels and what is the spec?

For damper adjustment start off in the middle and if after the first session it feels real wallowy go up one or two adjustments in stiffness and then leave it. You won't have the consistency to make any meaningful changes to the car as you get more comfortable with both the car and the track.

Have a read of this, it will take you around Lakeside the quick and safe way, http://www.mx5clubqld.com.au/wp-content/uploads/A-Lap-Of-Lakeside-Park.pdf

Take your time getting comfortable with the car, be happy if you get anywhere near 70 seconds, any thing under is a bonus.

Do your own thing and don't get sucked into chasing someone else to get quick.

Lee,

What about wheel alignment? Have you had one done on those wheels and what is the spec?

For damper adjustment start off in the middle and if after the first session it feels real wallowy go up one or two adjustments in stiffness and then leave it. You won't have the consistency to make any meaningful changes to the car as you get more comfortable with both the car and the track.

Have a read of this, it will take you around Lakeside the quick and safe way, http://www.mx5clubqld.com.au/wp-content/uploads/A-Lap-Of-Lakeside-Park.pdf

Take your time getting comfortable with the car, be happy if you get anywhere near 70 seconds, any thing under is a bonus.

Great advice :)

A rewarding track BUT one the demands respect for the high average speeds attained...

Just had a standard wheel alignment done on it - whatever it is they do - nothing special.

This has always been a road going car so it's never had anything like that done. I've had the suspension on the softest setting since I got it cause after a week or so on hard I could no longer take the jarring from Brisbane City Council's finest percolated tarmac.

For damper adjustment start off in the middle and if after the first session it feels real wallowy go up one or two adjustments in stiffness and then leave it.

I will do this.  I figured I'd start at the hardest and then if I found vehicle not handling right, I could soften it up using the logic "if not for the racetrack, why do we have a hard setting?". But your idea sounds safer :-)

You won't have the consistency to make any meaningful changes to the car as you get more comfortable with both the car and the track.

Agreed. I have no idea what I'm doing and any data I do gather will probably be false positives.

Will do.

Thanks for the advice. I've been waiting so long to finally get on the track and drive this car like it should be driven. I just have to be careful so I can do it again! The way people talk about Lakeside is like just when you feel like you're getting the hang of it, that's when it bites you in the ar$e. Must show respect at all times.

Umm, leaxe it to the last minute Lee!

I would suggest start the day with the Koni's on the softest settings, as if too firm, at rear, the car will step out.

Also, what tyres, and trye sizing?

If low profile, ie 40 or 45 aspect ratio, ( assume they are) run them at say 34 on front and 32 on rear, they will increse with use.

Reduce pressures by say 2 or 4 psi front and rear, as you build confidence.

You want the sidewall to flex, and keep tyre surface in as much contact as pissible.

Too high pressures keep sidewall stiff, and as car corners, geometry change and weight transfer will cause less tread contact.

After first run, look at where the tread "wraps" over onto sidewall, about 1 cm down from tread, you should be seeing some fresh "scuffing"

The sidewalls are working now!

I would suggest start the day with the Koni's on the softest settings, as if too firm, at rear, the car will step out.

I was worried there would be debate about this with no clear answer. Given my level of experience it probably wont make much of a difference anyway. I guess I'll try a few things given this conflicting advice and see if I can feel my way to success.

Also, what tyres, and trye sizing?

They are 17" 255/45 rear and 245/50 front. Falken something or other street tyres.

If low profile, ie 40 or 45 aspect ratio, ( assume they are) run them at say 34 on front and 32 on rear, they will increse with use.

Reduce pressures by say 2 or 4 psi front and rear, as you build confidence.

The BMW Club who are organising the day advised those using street tyres to put them at 40-45 PSI to avoid them peeling off.

I put them at 42PSI just this evening.

Can always go down when I get there, I have a gauge.

Let me know next time you go out, i have a 350Z here that i have been keen to take out and i was going to LapZ in it. 44014 is keen too we can get a sprint possy together if you are keen.

What about JapNats at Qld r/way, Sat 24 th. $200 entry, various classes, google TimeAttack.

In 2013 for the Sprints day they around 30 entries, so plenty track time?

Heaps of spectators, but it tends to be  more turbo/ricer/flatbrim type thing.

Was thinking about running a old old Datsun there.

No, will not do that Drift crap, thats on the Sunday.

Yeah i would be in for that. Will give me a chance to get an alignment and some sticky tyres.

I do wear a flat brim though, will that be a problem?

Let me know next time you go out, i have a 350Z here that i have been keen to take out and i was going to LapZ in it. 44014 is keen too we can get a sprint possy together if you are keen.

It's the bmw day I told you about...

I was thinking of doing the Jap Nats in my Rice Burner but having trouble get information for the Track Attack website.

How many sessions do they usually get and on which track?

I take it that a HANS device is not a requirement.

Cheers

Peter

I did get down to 67.5secs! How did you know that already Jason?!?!?!?

I am very happy with this result. The car went great except for some oil sprayed throughout the engine bay... better install a catch can before the next one.

Regarding suspension, I started of set to medium and it went well. next run i went full soft. it was bad. Then i went to half a turn less than as firm as possible and loved it so i left it there for the rest of the day.

Boy does it feel good to nail that double apex!

Had a few nervous moments at the kink but learned to cross in the right place as the day went on, I got in about 55 laps.

The day organised today was the BMW (QLD Z club was officially invited as I told my uncle who is the motorsport coordinater for the BMW club that our day was being cancelled).

The one coming up later this month is the Jap Nats http://www.qldraceways.com.au/all-jap-national-titles

I would love to do this again, I had a ball and only thought I was going to die about 5 times.

The only problem for me is that the cheapest days where you get the most laps in are during the week. As a BMW club member it was only $195. And I could have done 60-70 laps excep that I ran out of fuel :-(

Oh, and to go back to the topic of suspension, the kid behind the counter at lakeside reckons that standard practice is to put them full soft, and then firm the fronts only until the car is is not wallowy as you turn into corners. Once you have found the right spot, then leave the fronts and start working on the rears, hardening them up until if your harden them anymore you will get the back end out.

I think at my skill level it still wouldn't make much difference. Once I am more competent I will maybe mess with it some more.

AND,,,,,

Lee got down to a 1.07

Well done!!!

John McKeon took his 240Z out, into the 59's, not bad for an old warhorse,,,,,,, and an old car!

About time McKeon did a decent time in that Marque race car on slicks but you do realise Jason that Nev's road registered 260Z is down into the mid 58's don't you. Last time I saw McKeon at Lakeside he was bumbling around well above the minute mark, with his experience and the development that has gone into that car..................

About time McKeon did a decent time in that Marque race car on slicks but you do realise Jason that Nev's road registered 260Z is down into the mid 58's don't you. Last time I saw McKeon at Lakeside he was bumbling around well above the minute mark, with his experience and the development that has gone into that car..................

And here we go again....  :-\

The difference between John's car and Nev's car is chalk and cheese. John's car conforms to CAMS Group 2B Marque Sports cars, Nev's car conforms to, well nothing.... It can't be raced anywhere in a CAMS event and only in QR outlaws if he decides to race it. Whilst a great car and well engineered it opens the can of worms of what are you building the car for and where are you going to run. With Nev's car he is very limited in the events he can run in, John's car can be run basically anywhere at any event.

Lee well done on the 67, only a second or so to catch my hairdresser's car  ;D Another event or two and you will be quicker than it.

Lee

Look for a site called "Natsoft" their race timing page, times are in there!

You got a very good day in, so many laps, all good experience!

Ah, the pensioner trolls! Yes yes,we all know Nev's Falcsun/Datscon isnt really a 260Z, but a 410Z, and lots of torque.

McKeons is all Datsun, 'cept for the screw adjustable Autronic.

3.2 L Marque Sports vs 4.1L Sports Sedan

No substitute  for cubes, hows that 6.7 litre LS3 conversion, that should do 1.40's at The Island, very easily.

Slicks or semi slicks, they are that close in capabilities, the semis are just way cheaper, and almost as good.

McKeons been doing 59-61's out there for the last few meetings, you have'nt been around much.

Troll away.

;D Always good for a laugh Jason, but you know if you are going to post times and say how great they are, what do you expect? I'm just evening up the hype a bit, surely you can handle that.

Nice work Lee for a first timer, very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to QR on Friday 13th for an ominous second outing. Again, it is being run by the BMW club. Apparently they will have 3 circuits running all at once and I can do even more laps! My uncle said they have a few spots left but you'd need to get in quick.

You can enter here if you're keen. http://www.bmwcq.com.au/events/bmw-club-track-day-queensland-raceway/ It's $225 inc lap timer. BARGAIN (if you don't crash).

Also am excited to report I managed to acquire some 15x8 "performance" superlights with some pre-abused slicks. Now I just need a trolley jack and a breaker bar. Oh and a pit crew.

Would be great to have some more Zeds down there!!! C'mon lads!

Lee

Sounds like a plan. I have all my new brakes fitted and bedded in, just need sticky tyres and a diff mount now and i can get out there. Should be able to manage that over the next couple of weeks.

just need sticky tyres and a diff mount now

If you are stuck I have a spare diff mount and strap you can take off my hands. I bought new items from the Z store when I had my diff installed and the ones they removed were in perfect working order.

Slucks?

I'd suggest you do the learn to crawl for a bit, then how to walk, before you run like hell.

Use the tyres you already have, that way you will have better "feel" through your bottom, and your hands, as the car starts getting close to the regular tyres limits.

Slick tyres are a whole different ball game, massive grip, very sensitive to pressures, heat input requirements.

If you are stuck I have a spare diff mount and strap you can take off my hands. I bought new items from the Z store when I had my diff installed and the ones they removed were in perfect working order.

he is talking about his 350Z..

jakes s30 doesnt leave the garage' dont be silly ^_^

I'm not talking about slicks. The previous owner put tyres called "Ever Greens" on it which are great for going sideways in the hills...

I was just going to get some semis for it.

And thanks for the offer Grimslynsan, but Doug is right it's for my 350Z because my 240z doesnt leave the garage. It does however have an excellent diff mount.