Early Style Fender mirrors as found on early chassis ID i.e up to HS30-1000

thriller

• Administrators

The Skyline (and Bluebird) IKI mirrors look similar to the Fairlady Z mirrors, but they have a different stalk length/angle.

The Fairlady Z type IKI mirrors have a unique (long) stalk and angle. All the parts except the stalks are the same.

Hey Alan,

I referring to the flat style fender mirrors, more so than the bullet style ones.

Any ideas behind why Nissan used the flat mirrors on early 240z's in our market and apparently no other global market? Like I mentioned previously it appears the flat mirrors are missing from the Nissan Australia Parts Manuals. There is no part no. listed and no graphical representation of these in the manuals.

I'm attaching 2 pdf's here.

AU-Door-Mirrors-Part-Manual.pdf

AU-Fender-Mirrors-Part-Manual.pdf

96301-E4100 is the part no. for the RH side door mirror (listed as European and probably why North American's have a habit of referring to everything as being 'euro' spec).

96301-E4100 RH Fender mirror black
96302-E4100 LH Fender mirror black

These are I believe the same as the JDM mirror part no. for S30Z's and has OP next to it (Optional Part).

NB: The manuals at the bottom say revised December 1979.

So I wonder if earlier manuals would have had these part no's?

Hey Alan,

I referring to the flat style fender mirrors, more so than the bullet style ones.

Any ideas behind why Nissan used the flat mirrors on early 240z's in our market and apparently no other global market? Like I mentioned previously it appears the flat mirrors are missing from the Nissan Australia Parts Manuals. There is no part no. listed and no graphical representation of these in the manuals.

Yes, sorry. I see that now. My post was in reference to the bullet-on-stalk type mirrors only.

The flat (wing) mirrors for Australia thing has always struck me as looking like either a local compliance issue or a decision made by the Australian side of the equation. Maybe somebody high up in Nissan Australia pty simply didn't like the Japanese market mirrors? It might be worth seeking out somebody who used to be in a management position and asking them a few questions?

Growing up in England in the 60s and 70s, the flat wing-mounted type mirrors were common on all sorts of cars - especially British 'porridge' type family cars - so they seem quite familiar to my eye. Maybe the same worked in Australia, and they didn't look so *strange* as the bullet-on-stalk Japan market type?

As far as the parts lists go, I have the full size R-DRIVE parts manuals that cover the Australian market too. The first one gives the same part number for the bullet-on-stalk type (pretty much same diagram as your pdf too), calls them OP parts, and no mention of the flat wing mirrors or the door mirrors.

Second manual - dated 1974 - covers the HS30 but also the RS30 and GRS30, and has a different illustration for the OP bullet-on-stalk mirrors for the HS30 and a similar (but different) illustration for the bullet-on-stalk (same part numbers) as an OP on the RS30, but also lists the following:

*96301-N3400 ASSY-BACK MIRROR OUTSIDE RH - OP 

*96302-N3400 ASSY-BACK MIRROR OUTSIDE LH - OP

...although there's no illustration of them. Same is repeated for the GRS30. The March 1974 manual update lists a LH door mirror for the RS30 (no part number!) and RH door mirror for the GRS30 (96302-E8800 - ASSY-BACK MIRROR DOOR OUTSIDE - OP. AUSTRALIA). 

Have you come across those part numbers before?

• Administrators

Have you come across those part numbers before?

Only in this thread here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/17034-a-theory-rhd-hs30-model-standard-exterior-rear-view-mirror-fitment/?do=findComment&comment=135797

The PDFs I sent are the only ones I have for AU market cars in terms of part numbers and specifications.

My guess is that like you say maybe it was a Nissan Australia issue or Australian Design Regulation (ADRs) rule that forced the mirror change / rules. The bullet style ones are quite heavy as you know and perhaps were viewed as pedestrian hazards and maybe the flat style were seen as less damaging in an impact with a pedestrian?

There is a lot of items listed in the AU parts manual as OP, like hazard switch, heated rear screen, fog lights etc.. Most 240z's sold here certainly didn't have those items. I always found it odd we didn't get them hazard switch in particular.

My guess is that like you say maybe it was a Nissan Australia issue or Australian Design Regulation (ADRs) rule that forced the mirror change / rules. The bullet style ones are quite heavy as you know and perhaps were viewed as pedestrian hazards and maybe the flat style were seen as less damaging in an impact with a pedestrian?

I would certainly recommend seeking out anybody who used to be in the management structure of Nissan Australia. You might not get to the bottom of the mirror question but it'll be interesting to talk to them about *our* cars and what was going on around that late Sixties to mid Seventies period in general.

I've talked to a few people who worked for Datsun Concessionaires UK - the first UK importers - and Datsun UK. Some fascinating stories, and some quite shocking stuff about the first lot (look up the name Octav Botnar...!) and very interesting anecdotes on the business trips to Japan and the whole cultural divide. All the more so considering the war being so recent in the minds of all concerned. Have done the same in Japan wherever possible, and I find the personal stories are very informative and enlightening. 

• Administrators

I saw this advertisement today and got me thinking about what you were saying re: following up with people involved with Datsun's in Australia around that period.

Australianad.jpg

It looks like Arnold Glass was involved, so I looked up his name on this forum.

I see Peter has mentioned him a couple of times.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/4519-rb25de-or-l28-best-bang-for-your-buck/?p=50232

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/10734-the-weight-of-vehicles/?p=126752

So he may have been responsible for the Zeds becoming available here. Another forum topic here talks about his racing career.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/105139-the-strange-career-of-australian-arnold-glass/

Seems like an interesting fella, will have to find out what happened to him.

*Edit unfortunately i'm too late. Died in 2009.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/obituaries/from-tin-shed-to-flying-high/2009/01/27/1232818432538.html

Like you said, I'm sure he would have had some very interesting stories to tell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

C10 4 door Skyline with these fender mirrors on Yahoo! Auctions at the moment, saved the photos for future reference though.

Also attached some photos of mirrors I recently managed to acquire. Which look correct for an AU market 240z. I believe they were listed as Skyline mirrors like those above for the C10 4 door.

So far these have been 1 of the hardest parts to source for restoring an early AU spec 240z.

nonakaya88-img600x450-1459165166elocyt22252.jpg

nonakaya88-img600x450-1459165166gaxsne22252.jpg

srxsgt-img600x450-1457185379nc0pqb1903.jpg

srxsgt-img600x450-1457185379ucvh1k1903.jpg

srxsgt-img600x450-1457185379uf48dc1903.jpg