Early Style Fender mirrors as found on early chassis ID i.e up to HS30-1000

thriller

Cool trivia for you ^  The first AUDM cars off the boat came with fender mirrors, but they were kinda chrome and thing and more stalkey, not like the JDM ones you see.

Jonny's rusty musty had them I'm pretty sure. I don't think many early cars have their original fenders so it's pretty rare to see factory holes. and from memory, most dealers took them off? Not sure how many of the early cars had them either, might have been the first lot, or all of the early ones. Not sure.

I think if #283 would have had them, go for it. Pretty rare to see & I think they look really classy on a clean and stock looking car.

This forum thread has been split from another topic found here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,13196.0.html

Pertaining to a discussion around early fender mirror types for Aussie Delivered Vehicles.

Comment Left By Gav240z

Cool trivia for you ^  The first AUDM cars off the boat came with fender mirrors, but they were kinda chrome and thing and more stalkey, not like the JDM ones you see.

Jonny's rusty musty had them I'm pretty sure. I don't think many early cars have their original fenders so it's pretty rare to see factory holes. and from memory, most dealers took them off? Not sure how many of the early cars had them either, might have been the first lot, or all of the early ones. Not sure.

I think if #283 would have had them, go for it. Pretty rare to see & I think they look really classy on a clean and stock looking car.

A few years back the place I worked at restored chassis 808, the guy had it basically from new. Came with black fender mirrors from factory.

Sweet car also mate, cant wait to have a look.

If Gregs on the case it will be spot on.

They weren't delivered from nissan with those things on the guards though? Early cars just had normal black stalk fender mirrors. It doesn't make sense they would make different fender mirrors for ADM when fender mirrors dont meet ADRs anyway?

They are off a sunny truck (1200 ute)

This fender mirror issue on aus delivered cars is going bananas.

Ive seen sub 100 car original rusting to buggery but no mods on it had those style mirrors.

Adr got nothing to do with as most 70s cars never had them and didnt have to comply. Adrs started late 71 or early 72 if im not mistaken an than rules increase exponentialy. From than onwards with updates in 74 76 and 77 with another big one in the 80s unleaded and cat converters etc.

Now ive seen a picture of a test car in wheel/motor Magazine. Had same type mirrors above. Now from memory was a very early numbered car an could have been press import car.

But saying that seen a later edition 71 wheel/motor mag and had black bullet type which indicate they had the bullet ones.

An old nissan sales guy said that early 240z had come with fender mirrors chrome ones flappy ones and were very unpopular. Nissan offered to plug them with 180b style plugs

And fit the door one this what my early girl had. The holes on my car are for the bullet type as flappy one have different base. So even his recollection is not 100% true.

Other option was fender mirrors bullet type. Which were on nissan parts catalogue and were available but again not popular thing in the 70s.

Other option they  offered is to weld the plugs and respray guards and fit door mirror. This is what my 72 had as someone replaced with s1 parts

Now this guy use to sell them new in the day. I saw him at dealership bout 5years ago and he saw my 260z parked there and we started chatting. Though he seemed good for memory recal and details my early girl dont support his theory for chrome fender mirrors.  (I got my early girl bit later than our chat)

Shortly after i ordered a set of fender mirrors only part number available was the bullet type black ones even though i thought was getting the chrome ones. But when i saw them im like stuff the other ones.

So from what i can gather they are all corect and choose the option you like best.

Some ppl preffer door some flappy and some bullet.

Gav never knew they had z32 twin turbo back in 1970.  :P and as pointed by D3coy ugly chromed front grill. now i take points off.

if the mirrors like Lynton posted which has the same base as bullet type than the old chap i talked to at dealership is not talking crap. And my early one may have came with them. But im putting black bullet type. as my argument is mine came with those  :P

ive seen an early car in person never touched and had those mirrors. Another z also had those. Bullet seem to appear first on the 432 in Japan. But there were early cars with black fender only thing is dont know if it was jap imported press car or localy sold.

As bullet and door were avaliable as options and 99% of  z cars don't have hard evidence as they were shown on showroom floor.So if u like black fender than it came with black fender or either one. You not going to loose points or win arguments. just not enough hard evidence to support either but they were all available at the time.

This is HS30-0004 as delivered to Australia back in early 70.

lindsay%20w%20004-lge.jpg

As delivered to Australia or from that dealer ?

I have never seen a chromed grill from the factory ?

I'm guessing the mirrors have been changed for a more "chromey" look .

I have never seen a chromed grill from the factory ?

That was kinda my point, this "exact as it came from the factory car" isn't. I agree that this sort of looks like it might have been a dealer option as people didnt like the Japanese style black mirrors. That would also fit the story of people remembering them in dealerships.

Bullet seem to appear first on the 432 in Japan. But there were early cars with black fender only thing is dont know if it was jap imported press car or localy sold.

All (H)S30 JDM cars came with black fender mirrors to my knowledge and probably a way into the ®S30s too (240Z and 260Z dont really apply to 2.0L Fairlady ZLs which is what i mean here).

I would like to know the years of the last fender mirror fitted 240Zs in AU. To my knowledge it all stopped in early '71 at the latest.

• Administrators

Does anyone know where that red car KNL127 is now? Lynton

Do you have the part no. for those square mirrors per-chance?

All I know is that it was once owned by Dr Harry Corbett.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010722214605/http://www.ndsoc.com.au/

This 240Z, owned by Dr. Harry Corbett, is quite significant in Australia. It is car number 4 of the production run. This car was used by journalists to do all the road tests back in 1970. Now completely restored, it is a wonderful example of the 240Z's in Australia.

Photo at Albert Park in Melbourne.

PHOTSHT3.gif

I'm not sure if it's still owned by the same family or not? Would be great to speak to the current owner about it, perhaps do an interview and record some of it's unique history down and document some of the intricate details of this year 240z.

OK i stand corrected.

Was the silver grille standard too?

Check out the above photo, I think it's just the lighting in the first photos with Lindsay Drife in it that shows a chrome like finish, but in actual fact it's the correct silver flat colour (not black like many have been painted now-a-days).

Gav never knew they had z32 twin turbo back in 1970.  :P and as pointed by D3coy ugly chromed front grill. now i take points off.

if the mirrors like Lynton posted which has the same base as bullet type than the old chap i talked to at dealership is not talking crap. And my early one may have came with them. But im putting black bullet type. as my argument is mine came with those  :P

ive seen an early car in person never touched and had those mirrors. Another z also had those. Bullet seem to appear first on the 432 in Japan. But there were early cars with black fender only thing is dont know if it was jap imported press car or localy sold.

As bullet and door were avaliable as options and 99% of  z cars don't have hard evidence as they were shown on showroom floor.So if u like black fender than it came with black fender or either one. You not going to loose points or win arguments. just not enough hard evidence to support either but they were all available at the time.

Yeah I think the old chap at the dealer was spot on, HS30-0004 was apparently a test car for automotive journalists when the 240z first arrived in Australia and I doubt many would have had those mirrors on them. If I had to guess I'd say less than 100 cars in total got those mirrors, maybe a few with the bullet style (black ones you're talking about), but most I would say opted for the standard door mirror (which is in itself hard to find! Why is it that the unpopular option of the day (i.e paint code an interior colour or in this case the wing mirrors are the very thing that everyone wants some 30-40 years later when restoring a car?) My mind baffles, but in honestly I'm just as bad as I'd love to restore a 240z with a set of the square ones on it ;).

Nice 240z. I like the fact you are keeping it original because it is hard to resist modifying these cars over time and early period correct cars are becoming harder to find.

I agree, it's so tempting to modify these cars, but there are so few accurately original cars out there it seems a shame to me. I really would love to see more cars restored to the period correct look. As much as I like a well modified car, there isn't many out there that are a rolling time capsule and I suspect such cars would fetch good money too!

I would like to know the years of the last fender mirror fitted 240Zs in AU. To my knowledge it all stopped in early '71 at the latest.

I suspect it was 71 also, never seen any 72s with them that were original.

All I can say is thank-you internet archive, would love to speak to Harry though regarding HS30-0004.

in actual fact it's the correct silver flat colour (not black like many have been painted now-a-days)

The NOS ones i have seen are black same with the Fairlady ZL mesh grille, flat black.

Just a thought Gav, maybe we should split this topic with this poor guy's build thread we have run away with.

Yeah good call D3coy prob good to split it otherwise Js thread look like shiver.

But dont agree with your colour coment.

I got 2x Fairlady z original mesh grills and they are same colour as rear garnish. Also have 2x original slat grills and also they are gray. Have seen brand new grill in box never used and was flat gray metallic like the rear panel.

Fender mirrors were popular on Japanese cars 60's to early 70's they were virtually all imported back then until local manufacturing of the 1600 sedan started up in Clayton Vic and including the Datsun 1000, both vehicles at the time of local production were produced alongside the imported cars of the same until local production numbers crept up enough to support local sales.

Back then the Datsun 1000 had fender mirrors (imported model), Datsun 2000 cedric custom six & super six (imported) datsun 2300 sedan & datsun 2400 sedan super six all had fender mirrors, including the first of the 240Z's see pics. Lynton

post-24-144023725459_thumb.jpg

post-24-144023725463_thumb.jpg

post-24-14402372547_thumb.jpg

post-24-144023725475_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Lynton thanks for posting those images, in particular the Green 240z. I recall seeing that same sales brochure at Len Brennan's place about 6 or so years ago and he was talking about how exciting it was to buy a 240z back then, he said there was nothing like it for that price range. I recall seeing that Green 240z and thinking wow look how original it is, not many like that anymore.

Also wanted to post to say the topics have been split. So you may carry on discussing early car features and differences to later imported vehicles.

+1 to grey colour grille, my 73 (a very original car) had a grey grille.

Keep in mind those photos of HS30-0004 were taken back in the 90s when digital cameras were pretty poor and or you scanned photos onto your computer. I think 1 of them is in .gif format, which is not an ideal format for an image (it would suit a wiring diagram perfectly) but not something with complex colours like a photograph, much better to use .jpg that's why it looks so choppy and the colour range is all wrong.

FYI: HS30-0004 was actually 905 red! I managed to confirm this.

• 7 months later...
  • Administrators

Hi everyone,

With the exorbitant price of JDM 'bullet style' fender mirrors these days. >$1000 USD. (btw: I know you can get them cheaper than this..)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-NOS-Nissan-Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-Fairlady-ZG-Fender-Mirrors-/191146356381

I thought about what mirrors I want to mount on HS30 000150 - given that the car would have had the early style fender mirrors for an AU market car. It's currently got a Ford Falcon style mirror mounted on the drivers door.

09042010280.jpg

Reference image is Lurch's early girl HS30 00149

So these showed up on eBay recently, the price is right but I'm not convinced they are exactly the same as the AU market car mirrors. (it does say remanufactured).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-NISSAN-S30-240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-CHROME-NEW-FENDER-MIRROR-PAIR-LH-RH-/261461637595

Reference photos of AU market mirrors can be found here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,14171.msg150117.html#msg150117

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,13650.0.html

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,13234.msg138088.html#msg138088

The ones on eBay look just a bit more rounded, where as the AU market car mirrors look to be identical to the later 240z style door mirror in terms of the mirror part of the assembly, but the stalk was obviously different.

At the current price of the ones on eBay I'm almost willing to take a punt on them and see how they look. I can always change to the JDM bullet style mirrors later - once the car is on the road and most of the restoration expenses have been dealt with, so this might be a good temporary mirror and give that original factory fresh look.

Does anyone have an original set or closer pictures of the originals for reference / comparison sake?

• Administrators

Ok so it looks like these mirrors may have also been used on the Datsun 510's of the same vintage.

P1000367.jpg

Photo is from eBay seller tokyo-2u