Evie 1972 Datsun 240z

• Administrators

Yes every time I took out the red 72 the gearbox was horrible. It wasn't crunching or anything but just felt notchy going into gear. I suspect worn synchro rings. Looking forward to a close ratio box also, another future upgrade will have to be an R180 LSD diff. Maybe 4.11 ratio?

As for the room? I haven't got any, I'm actually paying to store the green car. I've been trying to find a place to buy in Melbourne (since Sydney is another level of crazy) but so far haven't managed to find anything suitable or reasonably priced.

As for having time? Well I don't have kids yet, which helps but that's why I'm outsourcing work on this car. I just don't have enough time when I'm in Melbourne to do half the things I want to on it. So I'm paying to get some things done.

The Green car is not going to be something that gets done quickly. I don't care if it takes me 20 years (hopefully not). The important thing is I have the car and will slowly ebb away at it over many years if I have to and my budget only permits that. I have already budgeted having the body work done by someone else and put the money aside for that.

• Administrators

Disassembling the original seats I found this date stamp today.

46-12-22

46=1971 and the rest is self explanatory. So the car was made right at the end of 1971 more than likely.

IMG_20170311_181025.jpg

So, with this Zed having the eariler floor-pan (vertical fastening gearbox cross-member & more rearward shifter hole),

there was a discussion to be made: Convert it back to 71A (eww) or use a 71C long box as a donor.

With the 71C being the better choice, I procured an R31 Pintara gearbox off Les Collins which will bring the shifter out in the correct spot in the tunnel.

It's also a 'narrow gear' 71C gearbox with brass syncros, which means I can install the 260Z gear ratios into it - which are closer together.

I pulled the Pintara box apart over the long weekend, which also involved cutting the gears & pressing the dog rings off.

All the parts were washed, the dog rings pressed onto the 260Z gears & I started reassembly.

Alum. Sandwich plate - washed & new bearings installed.

260Z gears - 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th reassembled onto the Pintara mainshaft with the 260Z countershaft cluster above it:

post-1-0-70070600-1506828437_thumb.jpg

All the parts out of the Pintara box were in very good condition. I 'could' have changed the syncro rings on 2nd & 3rd as they were getting close to 

to bottom tolerance, but for the amount of work this gearbox is going to do, I decided to leave them.

New ones are a few weeks ex japan anyway...

Installing the mainshaft & cluster into the sandwich plate:

post-1-0-60065400-1506828461_thumb.jpg

A problem I encountered: The rear countershaft spacer from the Pintara box has a bigger ID than the 260Z countershaft tail - it would float around on the shaft like a dick in a shirt sleeve,

so as I needed the required thinkness to be retained to correctly space the Rev & 5th gears on the C/S, I grabbed some 4140 bar stock & jumped on the lathe & make a suitable spacer with the correct length & correct ID.

L to R

The Pintara spacer, the new one, thin 260Z spacer.

post-1-0-58087300-1506828502_thumb.jpg

And finally the core assembled:

post-1-0-84119700-1506828533_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-39281200-1506828583_thumb.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on a small hardend washer to arrive for the front of the C/S, then I can install the core into the Hydra-Jet blasted cases.

TBC...

• Administrators

So, with this Zed having the eariler floor-pan (vertical fastening gearbox cross-member & more rearward shifter hole),

there was a discussion to be made: Convert it back to 71A (eww) or use a 71C long box as a donor.

Hey hey hey, I would have gone 71A if I had a spare. I don't mind the earlier style box with the Porsche synchro set up. However going this route I could use the 260z 'close ratio's' and have the 5th gear lock out with the shifter in the right location. So it was a compelling option. But part of me likes retaining the original parts. However be pragmatic where it makes sense I say.

Now I'm just waiting on a small hardend washer to arrive for the front of the C/S, then I can install the core into the Hydra-Jet blasted cases.

TBC...

Looking forward to the hydro blasted covers! I haven't had a clean looking gearbox in the car ever. It's also had a slight rear seal leak (where the driveshaft goes into the box) which was driving me nuts. It will be nice to have a car that doesn't leak oil (at least from the gearbox), since it's been sitting the sump gasket and rear diff gasket's have deteriorated and need replacing now.

Some great work there mate, Gav should be happy.

Looking forward to rowing through the gears, I can't wait to see what it will be like with Triples on it also and eventually, eventually I'll get a 4.11 LSD diff in the thing. It should make it a fun car to drive then.

• Administrators

Sad thing is, I'm only keeping 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears & the counter-shaft from the 260Z box - the rest isn't used.

Everything else will be 280ZX...

260Z gears - 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th reassembled onto the Pintara mainshaft with the 260Z countershaft cluster above it:

So what ratio's are in the box now? Originally you were going to use the 4th gear out of the 280zx box (but it turns out it was a 240K box). So I am assuming you kept 4th out of the 260z box and went with 5th from the Pintara is that correct?

4th gear in both box's is 1:1, so I did something tricky & used the Pintara input shaft & swapped the 4th gear C/S gear over - the Pintara one is now on the 260Z C/S cluster.
The reason: the Pintara 4th gears are a newer design & run more quietly in in 4th ;)

Both sets of overdrive gears are the same ratio too.

Edited by Lurch ™

• Administrators

The reason: the Pintara 4th gears are a newer design & run more quietly in in 4th ;)

Yes because having a quiet car is definitely a priority ;).

• Administrators

Since I was surprised that my car had the earlier 71A box set up. I wanted to verify with the parts manual. Turns out that Dec 71 was the last of the 71A gearbox cars in Australia and my car based on the seat bracket date stamp was built end of December 1971. Therefore the 71A gearbox was correct as Tony had told me.

Parts manual image attached.

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 1.57.08 PM.png

• Administrators

All this non-originality is crazy talk! :P

I know it's just tongue in cheek but... since someone else asked I figured I'd explain ;).

I would have opted for a 71A but I didn't have time to find 1 to suit my car. I also have 2 other 240z's which have 71A gearboxes going back into them. So I'll see how much I like the 71A's in comparison and maybe at some point fit 1 back into this car. I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem selling the CR box being built later on.

Since the car is designed for the earlier box, we went with the 71B/71C hybrid box so that the gear lever comes out in the same spot as standard and I can get the benefit of the 5th gear lock out. It's slightly non-original but for now it's better than the standard 240K box that was in there and I wanted to make use of the CR gear set that's been sitting in the garage for close to 10 years doing nothing.

My parents plan on selling their house at some point and downsizing and I've got a bunch of stuff in storage at their place. I figure 1 way to reduce the storage space I'll need in future is to start using the parts I've got now and put them back onto my cars. Funny enough as I do that the stuff I have in storage is getting smaller and smaller, which I'm happy about.

I figure 1 way to reduce the storage space I'll need in future is to start using the parts I've got now and put them back onto my cars. Funny enough as I do that the stuff I have in storage is getting smaller and smaller, which I'm happy about.

Buy more project cars to completely reduce your storage need to nothing.

Edited by hmd

• 1 month later...

So I've finally got this thing back together - after some components required modification:

Bellhousing had to have the countershaft bearing hole enlarged to suit the larger bearing, and the 1st/2nd rail hole had to be enlarged to 16mm.

1st/2nd mainshaft had to be notched to avoid hydraulicing the shaft in the front bearing plate.

Now I just have to get the tailshaft shorted 50mm & make a new gearbox crossmember...

post-1-0-17230600-1506828879_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-16903100-1506828888_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Come off it, surely you can't settle for a fabricated gearbox mount Gav. You are the purest of the pure.

Looks very neat all the same.

Let's see how it drives :), I have 2 other 240z's with a 71A box. But I may at some point revert this car back to a 71A box. The later extension housing is obviously not quite OEM, but I prefer this to a regular 71B box with the gear stick hole being in the wrong place for it.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

So I finally managed to find the original trading post advertisement for my car, posted way back in June/July 2002.

There is a few more pages with it and they have some interesting insights into prices of cars at the time. My 240z was actually on the higher end of prices for the time if I recall correctly.

TradingPost July11-17 (2002) Datsun240Z.jpg

Datsun 240 Z 1972 Red, 2.8ltr 5sp 15x7 superlites, big valve head, cam, extractors with twin exhausts, electronic ignition, over 200hp. reskinned dash, reg till 3/03. Looks great, sounds better, goes hard. LCU540 EC $8500ono Wantirna.