Evie 1972 Datsun 240z

• Administrators

How's the price of the XB coupe!

And the Torana SS Hatch! On another page there was a Mazda RX-3 I believe for $3,500 or so... it's amazing how prices have changed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

And the Torana SS Hatch! On another page there was a Mazda RX-3 I believe for $3,500 or so... it's amazing how prices have changed.

.....and 15 or so years from now people will saying the same about todays prices for some cars - but which ones ?

.....and 15 or so years from now people will saying the same about todays prices for some cars - but which ones ?

With the computerisation of modern cars making them so hard for back yard mechanics to work on, and the epxected proliferation of electric cars, I wonder if there is going to be less of this going on in 20 to 30 years time ?  That said I think cars like the Focus RS/XR5 and the performance models of the Golf might be the right balance of performance and price to make them candidates.  I also wonder how much of a Korean car scene there might be down the track. In the same vein that Datsuns and Toyotas were considered "Jap crap" but are now mainstays, Hyundai and Kia were originally considered "Korean crap" but are no longer necessarily viewed this way.  If I didn't need the practicality of an SUV I would love a Kia Stinger as my next car for example.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Well Locky threw my set of dry stored Triples on her and apparently idles at 700rpm. It will need some heat shielding and aesthetics wise I miss the orange air box.

Looking forward to driving it after a good tune and some much needed work eg:brakes.

IMG_20170718_173902114.jpg

That manifold was a right PITA to make fit!

I was a bit surprised when it started up, once fuel pumped into the carbs...!
I just have to make the accelerator linkage work, fit the air cleaners, install the O2 sensor & get Lou M to give me a hand to fine tune it.
Going to need longer spark plug leads too, as they interfere with No1 carb drop link.

Gearbox is in too, with a modified cross-member & shifter - gearbox works a treat!

Next up is modifying the abortion that is the exhaust system & giving the brakes a once over...

• Administrators

So the shorty manifold is good for a LHD car, but not so great for a RHD car. The throttle linkage set up was going to be tricky to accommodate without some odd ball geometry so I decided to send my other manifold (which was originally for HS30 00150) down.

This longer runner looks nicer but will also make the linkage configuration much nicer and nobody wants a dicky throttle set up.

IMG_20170719_101804.jpg

IMG_20170719_101819.jpg

IMG_20170719_101836.jpg

IMG_20170719_101856.jpg

IMG_20170719_101902.jpg

• Administrators

And what do you know? It appears my other manifold is an earlier version of the Harada Manifold. You can see the same casting ID and the cable set up etc..

Pictures attached of a "new" Harada manifold for comparison.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Administrators

Is that a custom fuel rail? What sort of pump do you run?

Pic in Post #104 appears to show a standard Z fuel pump?

OER fuel rail (has no return line I'm afraid), and standard mechanical fuel pump seems to be keeping up... :D

Yes, the lack of return line is what caught my eye.

Is that a preferred setup? I thought the return line with the small orrifice was the pressure regulator device. Do you run a regulator, or the pressure from the mech pump is ok for the carb floats?

Will you bring Evie up to Sydney as a driver Gav?

• Administrators

I would prefer to run a return line in future as I'd like to run the excess fuel through the Mikuni carb cooling bodies underneath as it will help keep the carbs cool and lower intake temps slightly. However the aim was to throw the carbs on the car then tune it, but as Locky has described it feels pretty spot on as it is. He said it feels quite quick now with the gearbox (close ratio box) and the Mikuni's on it. I don't run a regulator but if we go to the effort of dyno tuning and find it required we will fit 1. An electric pump with regulator might be beneficial.

The jetting in the carbs was set up for a relatively standard L28, the motor in the car has had some port work, a mild cam, light flywheel, advanced ignition curve, E88 head with L28 valves etc.. So it's a little worked but nothing over the top. We might run out of puff if we put a more aggressive camshaft in it and it needs more fuel up top.

It's more than likely the car will remain in Melbourne, my mum wants to sell her house this year and downsize, so I'm going to have a dilemma as to where to put it. But long term it's likely we'll settle in Melbourne as that's where our family is and Sydney housing is the second most expensive in the world. So I just don't see us staying here long term unless the real estate bubble finally bursts. But even then I think Melbourne is where we would prefer to be for family reasons.

I've been looking at houses in Melbourne, but there is a slight possibility I'd bring the car up and maybe pay to store it nearby or perhaps rent a workshop / garage for my cars up here and rent a different house with a smaller yard and no garage. We shall see what happens. I do miss having it nearby. However for now I just keep paying Locky to do stuff on it - rather than waste that money paying for it to sit in storage somewhere doing nothing. :D

However for now I just keep paying Locky to do stuff on it - rather than waste that money paying for it to sit in storage somewhere doing nothing. :D

Sounds like a win win to me. You just need to be closer to Locky!

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

• Administrators

Oh it requires (minor) rust repairs, but I'm under strict instructions not to touch it!

That's not entirely true. We may look at that after the mechanical stuff.. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So with the AZC BBQ looming, I decided I better do something about the #*$^(%! horrible exhaust system that is on Evie atm.

Gav wanted a system that mimicked the works rally cars twin system, however the sharp object that built it originally did very ordinary job...

If you attended the last run with CSA, you'll remember the noise that this Z makes - a loud shreaking monotone wail that doesn't improve with RPM. It's just not a nice noise...

I'd been discussing with Gav the best way to remedy the exhaust for a couple of months. Gav wanted to retain the twin system & not loose the 'character' (such that it was) of the sound.   

My plan was to make a new extractor secondary's & then remake the centre section of the exhaust system with a new single '2-in 2-out' muffler.

I removed the old system, that as you can see has been very poorly thought out.

The 1 7/8" secondary's had been cut back, flanged, then enlarged to 2inch with one primary pipe being run across & under the bellhousing - not good for equalizing flow...

The rear silencers were just a couple of 12inch hotdogs - good for flow - terrible for noise control.

I started by cutting the secondary's back & remaking them to merge into a collector at 28 inchs long.

Then as a single system for 100mm at 2.5inchs I made it a slip joint with a band clamp.

On the other side it split into a twin system again, at which point ran into the muffler, then retaining the rear of the old system exiting as twin pipes out the back of the car.

The result - it's a lot quieter! It's still loud, but not as bad as it was...

It still has an off-beat noise at idle, but the shreak at RPM is gone - replaced but the traditional L-series sound track.

It's also lost the stumble it had when one changed gears & it feels slightly more responsive now too...

All in all I'm pleased - I'll wait for your opinion when you hear it next Gav..................................................................................

post-100072-0-83128800-1511336440_thumb.jpg

post-100072-0-63865600-1511336457_thumb.jpg

post-100072-0-52297800-1511336474_thumb.jpg

post-100072-0-78078800-1511336499_thumb.jpg

post-100072-0-18257200-1511336507_thumb.jpg

post-100072-0-66411900-1511336513_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Welds look good, it was so loud before but I kinda liked how much of a nuisance it was. But it certainly did get a bit on your nerves on a long drive or high rpm.

I recall going under a bridge at Swinburne University in Hawthorn years ago and giving it a bit of beans, the noise was so loud that the sound waves refracted off the walls and I hurt my own ears.

I think it's going to be a whole new car now with the gearbox changed, triple Mikunis and now the exhaust change.

Looking forward to driving it and seeing how it behaves.

Now to put the rear bumper back on and add some stickers :).
Museum72Ward2.jpg

I also recently got some Chrome Trim ring headlight cover pieces (sans plastic covers) but will be adding that onto the car in time also!