16 & 17 inch Superlites from Performance Wheels

Toecutter

I have been on the phone to Performance wheels today regarding options for the 240/260. Information fresh off the press, they are just about to release a 16x8 superlite to suit the s30, as for 16x10 this will be coming at some point next year which is not too far off. Also on the books for next year is Superlites to be made in 17 inch. Start saving fellas this sounds like a great alternative to Wats.

I'll be going the 16x8 & 16x10 combo personally.

Sulio

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16x8 superlites are about to be released but they could'nt give me any list prices as to the fact that they are forced to sell via their distributors.

I think if a few of us e-mail them with enquiries we can move the date along closer for the 16x10 to be manufactured. I have followed my phone enquiry with an e-mail questioning all of the above including offset availabilities.

Sulio

http://www.performwheels.com.au/contact.htm

VIC - Performance Wheels

42 Mickle Street

Dandenong VIC 3175

Victoria - Australia

Phone 03 9706 4244

Fax 03 9706 6922

The response I got from my e-mail enquiry;

To Sulio

Thankyou for your email

Yes we are releasing a 16 x 8 Superlite sometime in Nov / Dec it would roughly be around the 4 Negative offset

at this stage. As for the 16 x 10 we are not sure when we will start to make may still be atleast 12 months.

Thanks

Adam Kipling

(Sales Representative)

Man 12 months is too long to wait. C'mon fellas we gotta start hassling these guys with e-mails so they move this date forward. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I got a price of $235 for the 16x8 superlites but I think if you shop around you might be able to do a little better than that. These are due out late Nov.

I stuck my ZG flares on with masking tape to get an idea of how wide I can go. Looking at the front the 16x8 might not fill it out unless the offset is a crazy negative value of about -20 for the front to look right. A lot of the Watanabes you see with the ZG look are 16x8.5 offset -6 (or 16x9, -13) at the front, and 16x9.5 with -19 at the back. Bit of a shame those Wats would prolly set you back around AUD$3000.

Another option is to find a local 3 piece rim made to the exact offset mentioned above. I shopped around and found that I could get an ROH VENTURO rim in 16x9.0 & 16x9.5 made up for $410.00 per wheel usual price is $475.00.

The attraction of the 3 piece is that you can always get the outer section redone if you ever want to go back to wheels that fit the stock guards at a cost of about AUD$130 per wheel.

Sulio

Watanabe wheel sizing page, Click on the ZG240 wheel set up to goto pics.

http://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/matching/nissan.htm

post-4-144023468426_thumb.gif

Done. I bought 3 piece ROH Venturo wheels in 17 inch. I saw them in the shop and thought they looked great! 17x8.5 (-6 offset) for front and 17x9.5 (-19 offset) at the back. 5-6 weeks to be made. I think suitable tyres will be 225x45 front tyres & 255x40 rears. Can't wait to see 17 inch wheels with a deep dish and ZG flares on the car! Time to send the flares off to be painted black. Still not sure of wether to paint them gloss black or matt black!?

Sulio

I want something in the style of those Speedy Hyperfang II's.... Possibly Simmons OM16's, but I don't really like the centre or the outside of them.... Will research the hyperfangs when I have the money to do it, see if they'll fit allright. I don't want anything bigger than 16 inch though.

• Administrators

Nice car is that in the states? looks like it from the steering wheel position.

I think he's on classiczcars.com as ON3GO.

I think Watanabe's would look better but yeah , your obviously getting Psyched about flares Sulio :twisted: .

hehe-good eye Gav. I've always thought that green is a nice colour for cars of our vintage, quite classy and racey. Yer I've been piss farting around trying to tell myself that flares might be overkill but the reality is there are'nt any nice examples of fat ZG flared out s30's in Australia that I've come across. From memory there was a car at Goulbourn last Nationals but I did'nt get a chance to check it out properly.

Looking at the car above I just don't undersatand how anybody could look at that and not like it. My GF does'nt like the idea of flares, she nodded her head when I said I bought some flares for my datsun. I just think it needs to be seen in person to be fully appreciated.

Find out soon enough. Does'nt matter anymore anyway now that I have a 2nd Z thats a perfect example of a stock straight clean 240 with fresh paint and interior sitting in my garage. Ha and that one is red too!!! :D :D :D

Sulio

Hi Dave,

Got the flares from a fella in SA who made up a mould and makes them when he has time. His name was Zkid located on www.classiczcars.com.

There is also ZR240, (Ashleigh), a member here you might already know that has an original set he brought back from Japan. I believe Ash was about to start making them. Try looking him up in the members section if you up for a set. I think there are a few fellas here looking for them.

I was looking for a set of 16" B45 Simmons. I thought for a reasonable price I could have got the outer made up to be a good size to suit the ZG flared look but I found it hard to find a set with correct offset and PCD to start with. I was told it would cost $150 a wheel to get the outer sections rolled. My calculations were that those Simmons would be hard to find for less than $800 a set 2nd hand if your really lucky and then theres the alterations. I guess you've been lucky enough to source a set or perhaps I'm just too impatient! hehe what ever the case I bet you can't wait to get them on and I look forward to seeing some pics. Will you widen the wheels if you mount flares on the car?

I'm away for the week of Oct 31st but if that changes I might consider going, still a bit far off to know.

Cheers

Sulio

Hi Evan,

I bought the 240 about 3 weeks ago. It was a car that sat with a panel beater I know for years and I dropped in too see him recently. I'd been bugging him over the year to see if he'd sell it to me seeing it had no rust and was very original. When I dropped in I noticed he'd recently painted it red again and the interior was still sitting next to it. He had leased half his factory out to a mechanic so he was pressed for space. So I offered to buy it again and he sold it to me. I have since got the dash reskinned, got new carpets bought new window seals to be fitted and pretty much got the interior looking very fresh . I've got the dash in but still to connect all the wiring, will do that next week. I don't think I will be able to afford to keep it seeing we've already got 3 cars at home and there's only the two of us so I'll put it up for sale in about a month.

Keeping it would be nice though, best of both worlds!!!

Cheers

Sulio

• 3 months later...

i went into local wheel shop places today and they all treated me like a KnOb, being rudish and trying to presure me into rims i didn't want, prob on the misconception i'd want the cheapest ones

one of them even bagged out superlites :shock: and they both said that they only come in 16X7 atm and told me to get the tempest ones, i told them i was going to put flares on my car so would want wider rims and was happy going 3 peice but one place woudlnt give me an exact price on them and were rather unhelpful about which would be possible.

i'd have to say sulio you picked the nicest style thats there - i was quoted $480 per wheel...and then they started going on about how expensive and hard to find rubber would be in that width :D and they didn't seem keen on the stretching idea...

my interest in rim prices was sparked by these which i think i might get...which brake upgrades is it that require 16"? i've been looking through hs30z's gallery on classiczcars trying to see if 15" look ok but i dont know which ones are running 15's! but yeah they are a common tyre sizes (205/55/15 and 225/50/15) so might be the way to go, and in my quests to local jap importers for fender mirrors i came across http://www.techieonthemove.com/ and the guy there has a mad ae86 and is interested in getting a 240z 8) [/url]

Nice photoshop work there....those rims on yahoo.co.jp will be too wide for stock fenders/guards you will need to flare or put on ZG overfender. The guys in Japan some don't cut the originals fenders/guards they juse firm up the suspension so there is no chance of rubbing. Also a 225/50/15 on a 15x10 (RS Watanabe the recommend offset will be -25 = stick out a long way) is a big strech. A 15x8 with 0 offset would be ideal for a Zed with stock fenders/guards. They are also a good fit for the 225/50/15. You might need to roll the guards a little depends on your cars suspension. If you run - camber on the fronts should be good and if you lower the zed the rear get a little - camber anyway. I do have some photos of 15x8 -12 offset with 225/50/15 installed on a 240z with stock suspension and fender/guards.

If the RS Watanabes are out of your $$ range you could look at the rewinds that you can get from the US. I purchase some for Dad 15x7 0 offset again perfect for a stock zed no mods required. You can then go either 205/60/15 or 205/55/15 or 225/50/15 (most tyre manufactures recommend a 6-8" rim so 7" is the recommend for this size tyre)

Here is pic of the rewinds look like (not the ones I got I have lost the pics I have on my PC). Once Dad installs them on his zed (green also) I will take a pic and post here

post-104-144023469795_thumb.jpg

thanks for that zeddophile, but yeah i did, does anyone on yahoo japan ever? but there are people who will do it for you :D

and thanks NZeder, i realise it will need flares, which is what i was aiming for i just didnt have a good pic of flares that would match up to the pic of my car! i could always get the same sorta watanabes off yahoo japan in a narrower style for a bit cheaper but it aint the same. how did you get yours? or are they brand new? also i saw you bought some fender mirrors off ebay, dam u! i'm looking at getting a set of them too but they sure arn't cheap...

i'm happy spending the extra money for something that i'd prefer, but just outta interest how much did the rewinds cost you? according to the local tyre shops the cheapest option for me from them is like $1570, and these should end up being under 2g...but then 3 peice is tempting also, or waiting out for a set in 16", but hey i could always sell these :s are tyre shops happy stretching tyres on?

its interesting to hear that they dont cut the guards, as i'm about to do my susspension also i guess that would be an option but i'd love to lower my car basically as much as possible while still being practicle...but then i scrape atm going into my gf's driveway which sucks, but i can always park around the corner :D