16 & 17 inch Superlites from Performance Wheels

Toecutter

yea I got my Wats new from Japan. I visited a local performance shop that I know is owned by a ex Nissan Japan employee (also Japanese). He imports parts and works on Nissan Skyline GT-R, Silvia's/200sx, 300zx but is also a 240z fan (he used to own one when living in Japan - he is now thinking of getting another one since I have been visiting him asking for all these parts from Japan :) ) any he has the contacts in Japan to help locate these items (as some will not sell to non Japanese, it does cost me a little more as he takes his commission and also his contact at the other end, but I do get the parts I am after) plus like to have seen I do pick up other bits for my project from ebay

Re the rewinds - I emailed Konig to find the local importer/distributor, I talked to them but they were not that interested in importing this type if wheel trying to sell me some bling FWD offset shit :evil: so I purchased from ebay from ggtyler (or you can visit his website and email him directly see http://www.technotoytuning.com/ ) I purchase some other suspension parts also for another car so I got them landed in NZ for under $1300 but this did include other bits so I would say under $1000 AUD depends on the shipping method

ggtyler has some rewinds list now also http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AE86-510-240Z-260Z-280Z-15x7-Datsun-Konig-Rewind-Wheels_W0QQitemZ8029237117QQcategoryZ43955QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks' date=' they are nice looking wheels, then there's those compomotive ml rims that come in 17Xsomething but i dont think they come in the correct offset...was it you who had a pair of them for a bit or someone else in NZ?[/quote']

I did have some 15" comp ML at one point but just no wide enough for my zed so I did a swap for a almost genunie G-Nose (the lower section was not real but the rest was, the lower was a replica made in steel, suits me as harder to break via a stone etc)

it looks like the watanabes wont happen just yet :( they're now at 110,000yen from there 80,000yen starting price, and still a day to go...guess i was to hopeful...if only shipping didnt kill it so much, i'll talk to the people i was going to get to import them tomoz...

• 1 month later...
FYI

Got a price for watanabes from an Australian distributor:

The price is $2110.00(R Type 16 x 9 -13 / 16 x 9.5 -19)

It includes shipment fee also.

Is the new? Good price I would get a few sets at that (if the wife would let me, one set is enough for now)

yeah that does sound like a good price, do they bring in the rs8 style also? i was thinking of getting a set of them in the same sizes sulio got his, but as finding a set second hand would be near impossible i was thinking of getting some 17X7 +38 and 17X8+38 ones and trying to get them widened (i think the offsets still a bit to +, i think it would go to about +2 if i got them both widened 1.5")

but so far places have just said if i can't get the halves for them there's nothing they can do...so do they just want to charge me to do up some bolts and undo them? of they've told me to bring them in which is hard to do since i dont have them...so was then thinking i could always sell them or buy some adaptors...

the other rims i'm trying to get are simmons alta ones but they no longer make them in 4 stud...so i'm trying to track down a zed a saw forsale with them awhile ago...anyone know where it is? and if they wanna sell the rims? hehe

do you have the number for the distributors so i could see if they can get the halves? but it might end up being the same price all up as new anyway...

Evan, sounds like you need alot of stars to line up for things to work out based what you've just stated. If you need to change offsets on 2nd hand 3 piece wheels the only way thats gonna be viable for you is if you score a free set of wheels with correct PCD, and chances are it would still cost $300 per rim to set up ie $150 per side rolled. I was thinking as you are but after searching high and low I realised that wheels in the dimensions we are talking about are far and few in between for sale used. Mr Camouflage has found a pretty good deal here but I would investigate how much tyres will set you back in 16's before making any solid commitments.

Evan a little birdy told me you bought some ZG flares!?

is a little birdy the for sale thread? hehe did you use the beetle rubber stuff inbetween them and the body work? my other question is which way's the front! ohwell need rims first! but i am in need of some new rubber pretty soon!

what do you mean by alot of stars? i'd remembered you said you could get another outter lip for $150ish and was thinking/hoping if getting a custom one done is like $200-250 or less ofcourse, and i just get the outter section done and then use a spacer, as you prob can't really tell the difference between like 2" and 2.5" of lip, but yeah even getting rs8 watanabes here second hand is like 1g so it doesn't really work out to well huh...

i'm guessing since this is a price from the distributor its pretty much the same all the time and not some special we have to get in fast on anyway yeah?

i wouldn't mind these rims, but as i said they no longer make them in 4stud...and they are $600 a wheel :roll:

post-83-144023470051_thumb.jpg

Evan, Ash told me you bought a set of flares. I remember when I got mine I stuck them on with tape and they looked quite funny with stock wheels.

What I mean by the stars lining up is its very hard to find a second hand set of wheels with correct PCD and offset. A good example is the RS-8's you have mentioned. The offset is wrong so you would have to get inner pieces rolled which will cost you $150 per wheel. Of course as you suggested you could get adapters but even that will cost you about $300+ but if you want deep dish you still need to roll outer peices so there's another $150 per wheel.

So assuming you had already found these wheels there is still at least $900 you would have to spend to get your wheels right and if you roll both sides it would be more like $1200.

So if you go the adapter option $900 is based on $150x4 for outer peices and your $300 for adapters. And the worst part of all this would be after spending all this time and money you would still be running adapters.

Just trying to point out that $2200 for wats in this size is pretty good hey and from experience good deals like this usually don't last very long or they go up in price!

i have a 240zg model and it has the stock 240z hubcap rims, it looks very funny hehe...makes me wonder y it has flares?

but yeah contact details of the watanabe distributor would be good, for some reason i think i prefer rs8's but then the rims on sr240z's car look nice as, and the gold ones are nice too but i'd like a polished lip.

anyone got an idea of how much rubber is? my cousin has a type r (nice seats hehe) and he said he had to get new rubber for the roadworthy and it was a rare profile in 16" so were $$$$ i dont have a day off till wednesday so can't go and ask places...

Yer this is the problem when it comes to 16's. Availabilities for low profile wide 16's is low. I would'nt be surprised at all if you were forced to pay $300 to $400 a tyre if you are planning on 245 for the rears to suit those wats.

NZeder, what did tyres set you back mate?

I went with Toyo Proxes T1-R 225/50 for the fronts and 245/45 for the rear. Cost NZD (funny money to you Ozzies) $810 including fitting and balancing :)

Now only I had gotten my Wat for the price that is AU distro is sell them for at that price I might pick up a second set (risk devoice but that is a good price) if they won't ship to Auckland NZ, I could have them shipped to Melbourne then on one of my business visit I can take back with me :)

• Administrators

Hmmm it's a strange thing, you would think after owning a Z for several years you would know the look you want but I'm still not sure :).

I found these on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-RS-WATANABE-TYPE-R-16-RIMS-WHEELS-240Z-260Z-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43956QQitemZ8040364532QQrdZ1

I have been thinking of bidding since I saw them 5 days ago. I can't force myself to do it yet, I asked the seller if he can get more it appears he can and can get them in any size and offset. They will work out to about $2700 AUD landed to your door in 10 days. I thought that was a good deal but Mr C has a very good deal going.

I might be able to get a good deal through Simmons and part of me wants 3 piece wheels. I'm thinking of FR17's with the same spec as Sulio's wheels and NZEDER (Mike) 16x8.5 -6 and 16x9.5 -19

I'm not sure what deal I can get, they may be becoming a MelbourneIT customer and we might end up doing some work for them so I am going to get a quote.

When it all comes down to it, the decision is do I want the classic JDM style with Wat's or a modern looking ZG with modern wheels. If I get the Wat's I might just have to do the Gnose too.

We will see.

Evan wat's for $2200 AUD is a bargain grab em'

yeah i'm suffering from the same delima as you though gav, do i want wats or a newer style? i've always just thought newer or the rs8's, although the type r's are a nice inbetween

can you get type r's in 17"? as that would seem to be the perfect thing atm, i'd always thought 17"s looked a bit big but then after seeing sulios it doesn't, it must the the all that dish and flares 8)

my other prob is now i have the flares should i get wide rims or just another set of rubber and paint the parts of my wheels black (something i wanted to do these hols but didn't have time)

have you ever tried to price those work wheels they like in japan? what size do they use, as the 17" ones always seem to be pictured in white!? but then they look bigger than 16"s or mayb my eyes are funny

• Administrators

The Work Meister SSR Professors I think they are. They are only made in single or 2 piece I think. Not the 3 piece like I would like. I also would like to use a rim nobody has used yet if I go for anything other than Watanabe's. ROH have some nice ones and they are 3 piece wheels.

Decisions Decisions but at the end of the day you know you can't go wrong with Wats and especially if you are going with Fender Mirrors :). :twisted:

funny thing is we pay big bucks fdor what the japs have and yanks pay big bux for stuff that is made here like simmons and ROH ETC IN 3 PIECE

its like badges we want JDM and I bet in jAPAN they want US badges, what would you call them ADM!????

hehehe

I reckon we get a pretty good deal here in OZ on the ROH wheels because I believe the yanks pay a lot more for them.

horses for courses boys I feel your pain but I must admit I really like the17 inch wheel. Its proven a real head turner every single time I've parked it and the FAIRLADYZ badging provides a lot of laughs seeing people scratching their heads and I know they're thnking looks good but what the hell is a fairlady! :D

for the exact rubber (yokahama somethings) thats on the sr240z car i was quoted 290 at one place and 380 at another, with the cheapest type or rubber being the 210 kinda mark, and a second hand place says they start from 70 a wheel depending on the brand and how much rubber is left which sounds like a better option ofcourse

. i'd have to say while the watanabe look is nice, i wasn't really wanting to make my car a JDM copy kinda thing...i'd like to go for black centres and was thinking since the rs8 price would be about the same (mayb) as other three peice they might be a go'er but...

are the type r wats 3 peice? coz they dont really look that much so...as i'm going to put the skyline lights in my car if i do flares i guess i'm going for a weird mix between old and new, but i guess the round lights are kinda classic, but hey they may not be done for a year at the rate i'm giong with them now :D

roh wheels are nice but alot of their designs they dont make in sizes under 18", other wise i'd have those modena ones or adrenalin's, but i would like venturos with a black centre

my only other concern is finding my car on bricks :shock: