Vic RWC without airbox

Alfadog

I'm in need of a VIC roadworthy certificate asap, however my carbs have filters on without an airbox.

Simple question - any chance of a roadworthy without an airbox? From what I gather, answer is no.

More complicated question - what's the way around this for aftermarket (triple) carbs? I figure it might be possible to find a stock airbox and try to modify it to fit?

Any ideas or previous experiences would be appreciated!

Do something for me, measure the distance between two of the carbs using the center of the top two bolts that hold on the trumpet. I have my custom airbox for triples off the car at the moment which i am quite willing to lend you to get through a roadworthy. Send me a PM after that.

Mark

• Administrators

I have a set of those K&N filters to suit Mikuni's.

I think the issue will be the cam cover oil and crank breather pipes going nowhere (do you have an oil catch can in your car?)

If you needed a 240z air box I could have lent you that for road worthy, but you have Triples :(

• Moderators

Do something for me, measure the distance between two of the carbs using the center of the top two bolts that hold on the trumpet. I have my custom airbox for triples off the car at the moment which i am quite willing to lend you to get through a roadworthy. Send me a PM after that.

Mark

Was just about to suggest talking to Scoota re what he has on Oscar, then noticed you had already stepped in.

• Administrators

By the way I'm thinking of fabricating my own air box (out of steel) to look like the 240z S.U air box, but to suit Triple Mikuni's for my own 240z. The plan is to paint it orange also so it looks OEM.

I'm not really that impressed with many of the aftermarket ones I've seen made of fiberglass etc..

Guys

From personal experience the EPA are red hot on crank case and rocker cover vents to atmosphere, catch cans are out as the crank case gases must be reburned...........ie you must have these plumbed back through an airbox.

The other issue is induction noise........yes we think it sounds brilliant......but not the EPA 

I did offer some years back to get the Prince GTB box (modified to fit the L series triples as fitted on my Zed) produced in C/F but could not get enough committed interest.

I have since sold my Zed however I may be able to get my hands on another air box to use to make a plug........if there is enough interest that is.

Al.

• Administrators

I think you can still get the air-box that Gavin Strongman made for his Silver 260z.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,6061.msg53440.html#msg53440

PeterAllen on here said they were able to get 1 for his pommy friend Mike (context link here: http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,14071.msg148958.html#msg148958) before he left to return to the rainy country.

So I'd ask Peter if he has the contact details of where he got it.