Clutch pedalstop

PeterH

Hi All

Can someone help me with a bit of information. My car is a late 1973 ( Sept compliance plate) It's originally auto but will be converted to manual when its rebuilt. I've read the thread here on the conversion and its been a huge help. I thought that I had everything that I needed until I bought some parts from Steve, at http://www.240zrubberparts.com/,  There I saw the clutch pedal stop rubber and became aware of it.

If someone has a 1973 original manual car, could they tell me if it has the pedal stop? My car has a cut out in the fire wall insulator that looks to be in the right place. It won't be a problem to make one and fit it to the car, but I'd like to make sure that this model had it before I do.

Thanks

Pete

Autos do not have the metal pedistal welded on to the firewall

The easiest fix is to glue a thick rubber door stop onto the firewall, Clark rubber has plenty of options for a couple of bucks.........just cut one to the correct thickness to stop the peddle before it bottoms out on the master cylinder.

• Moderators

Great detail Peter,

Just got me wondering what everybody who has previously done the Auto > Manual conversion has  done in this  regard ?

Wow..thanks Peter...... and the position matches the cut out in my fire wall insulator as well.

to PB260Z I wonder the same thing...as 260COUPE posted it would be easy s to put something in there thats does the job.

Peter...since you've gone to so much trouble can ask you for one more thing???? I've attached a quick drawing that I  did...the front face appears to be on an angle...can you give dimensions A & B to help get that part right...

I'm not planning on taking another two years...fingers crossed..... although I'm sure you've heard it before " since I retired I don't know when I had time to go to work"

Thanks

Pete

post-1486-14402374756_thumb.jpg

...the front face appears to be on an angle...

I'm afraid my old tired eyes didn't spot that: A= 36, B = 39. Nor did I know that was a rubber pad. It was sprayed with etch primer when I had the shell sandblasted and then sprayed with 2 pac when I did the interior. I'll have to remove it tomorrow and scrape the paint off. What would Frank and Derek have said about such shoddy work?

The 32mm is measured from the bottom of the hole in the firewall for the steering column and the 30mm is from the centre of the threaded hole.

...I'm not planning on taking another two years...fingers crossed..... although I'm sure you've heard it before ...

Correct

...since I retired I don't know when I had time to go to work...

An absolute truism.

Derek would have grumbled....Frank might have done anything..... shrug of the shoulders to something more prolific....would you like a new rubber for your pedal pad????it might not be too hard for me to organise....if i do it soon...

When I did my swap I didn't know about this or worry about any sort of stop. I drove it without for a few months. I did end up installing a Neutral Safety Switch on the firewall, so that I couldn't start my car in gear, and seems it would serve a similar purpose. :)