park lights and brake lights always on and other eletrical issues

phillay

I've been trying to fix up my non working lights, discovered the fuses were blown so first thing I did was to replace them.

Once that was done I checked the globes and found them to be all burn and some were broke. Had them replaced also. Now they turn on as soon as the key is in ACC but they won't turn off at all, so park lights  and brake lights are always on.

Indicators work and brake light switch is working but it is very dim. I.e when I step on the brakes I can barely tell that it's a bit brighter.

Any ideas how I should troubleshoot and fix this?

I have 1157 globes for the park lights/front indicators. These are twin filament 8w globes (i think)

the rear brake likes are so the same type (1157 twin filament globes) I think the other codes on the package was BA15s

nar it doesn't have trailer wiring (I don't think - can't really see anything obvious)

The lights all came on when I replaced all the glass fuses. There is one blue/white wire that I haven't connected from the fusebox because I haven't found the plug for it. I might take the dash out and see what kind of butchering has happened as there are wires hanging out everywhere

• Moderators

Check to make sure no wires have melted their solder and shorted on the switch itself and check the fuseblock to make sure that hasn't melted either. Sounds like power is making it's way into the circuits for the lights. Another common thing is fitting single contact globes into dual contact holders; you find when parkers are on so do the brake lights and vice versa..

Sounds like something that happened to me. My brake and stop lights didn't turn off and pushing the brake pedal in didn't increase the intensity of the lights.

Check that there is a rubber plug/grommet attached onto the upper end of the brake pedal. This rubber part sits against a stop brake sensor turning off the lights when the pedal is not in use.

Mine crumbled apart but can be easily replaced with a nut and bolt that fits onto the mounting hole on the pedal.

I believe its near the clevis pin, that little box that is protruding from the pedal itself like in the diagram link below

http://www.middletennesseezclub.com/files/brakepedal.JPG

Thanks for the reply guys, fusebox is good I have checked and given all the trrminals a clean while I was at it. The globes are dual contact so thats checked. Will give the brake switch a look when I get the chance, I can see the brske lights slightly brighten up when the pedal is pressed. But very slightly, im currently putting together a harness with a relay and doing the h4 conversion with a narva kit

• Moderators

I am big fan of relays for headlights.

Personally I use a New Era double relay, even has built in fuses  8)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWIN-HEADLIGHT-RELAY-NEW-ERA-12-VOLT-12V-NEW-NLR-132-30A-30-AMPS-/300825932730?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460a9f73ba&_uhb=1

I've taken the switch out and gave it a thorough clean, seems to be in top nick. I suspect I might have to take the dash out :(

I did order the narva H4 conversion kit as it was on sale for $85 delivered on ebay which is a good price the rrp on them is about $110

That relay looks huge but seems like quality stuff, I just got the normal 4 post ones, nearly done with putting the relay together so far costed about $40 worth of electrical stuff like wires, socket holders, plugs etc but it's looking good. Will post pics tomorrow I am just missing a few crimps and these plastic things to cover the wires which I am picking up from jaycar.

Just did the same thing to my zed; added a small plug in harness with relays for the high/low beams. Works like a charm! heres a pic:

hey mate do you happen know the diagram for park light harness? I've got all the plugs I just need to figure out which wire is the trigger wire from the plug where the steering columns are at.

• Moderators

hey mate do you happen know the diagram for park light harness? I've got all the plugs I just need to figure out which wire is the trigger wire from the plug where the steering columns are at.

Pretty sure I have a wiring diagram at home, if I get a chance will scan it in and send it on tonight

cheers mate, I've looked all over the different forums and haven't really found one would be good for a sticky I reckon, next thing in the list is probably to replace the fusebox to a universal one like painless.

• Moderators

Gidday Mate

Found the diagrams I will scan them when I get into the office tomorrow.

Can you PM me your email address and I will send them through first thing.

BTW the bulb code BA15S is

BA = Bayonet

15 = 15mm base

S = Single contact

One last thing : If you have fitted BA15S type bulbs to your brake light sockets you will have drama's. They shouldn't fit but I have seen it done before, you need  BA15D type (5/21W)  ;)

Cheers

Peter

I have a feeling a I've got the wrong bulbs in my brake lights. Is the wiring diagram the full coloured one? I think I have that already I'm after a diagram that shows how would I need to modify the factory working to put in a relay for park lights.

• Moderators

I have a feeling a I've got the wrong bulbs in my brake lights. Is the wiring diagram the full coloured one? I think I have that already I'm after a diagram that shows how would I need to modify the factory working to put in a relay for park lights.

The diagrams I have are the standard factory ones.

Not sure if anyone will have a diagram showing a modification for adding a relay to the parking circuit, the draw on the parking circuit should only be about 60 Watts / 5 Amps so a relay should not be required.

Let me know if you still want the factory diagrams ?

Cheers

Hey there, just had a bit of a look at the wiring diagram and notice the wipers are on the accesories circuit. Considering your lights are coming on when you turn to accesories....

Now I'm no auto elec but im thinking that maybe the combo swith is shorting out somehow. Try unplugging the wiper motor plug in the engine bay, by the looks of the wiring diagram that should break the accesories supply to the combo switch.

Im probably way off but for 2 mins work, its gotta be worth a try. Never know you're luck.

Mick

Edit. Also ensure you have the double filament 21/5w globes in for the stop tails

Hey mick, thanks for the advice. Will check it out tomorrow so I just undo the wiper plug in the engine bay?  Just confirmed that I do have double filament bulb it says 21/5w. The odd thing is that when the brake pedal is pressed the bulbs only lit up slightly brighter. So in the daylight you would not notice its gone brighter unless you really had a close look.

I also replaced the indicator/park lights with the same type of bulb (15d) is it the correct bulb? When thr indicator is on you can really tell that its flashing whereas compared to the brakes which are hardly noticeable but are actually working

Yep you've got the right globes in, thats it, just unplug the wiper motor in the engine bay and turn the ignition to accesories and see if the lights come on.

Just a guess but might just be the problem.

• Moderators

Hey mick, thanks for the advice. Will check it out tomorrow so I just undo the wiper plug in the engine bay?  Just confirmed that I do have double filament bulb it says 21/5w. The odd thing is that when the brake pedal is pressed the bulbs only lit up slightly brighter. So in the daylight you would not notice its gone brighter unless you really had a close look.

I also replaced the indicator/park lights with the same type of bulb (15d) is it the correct bulb? When thr indicator is on you can really tell that its flashing whereas compared to the brakes which are hardly noticeable but are actually working

Sounds like the globe may be 180' out; the pins are offset on the globe base but if the holder has expanded slightly, the globe may be inserted incorrectly. Whats happening is your parker wiring is giving power to the stop filament and the parker filament switches on when you apply the brakes and when you say they come on slightly.

Unplugging wiper motor has not affected the lights, so the short is elsewhere. I think I might need to take the multi switch and see if the short is from there by opening up the contact switches and have a look see. On a good note I emailed he guy that made the headlight harness for msa and he write me a guide on how to make a relay harness for the park lights. I finish putting it together so I might install them in the car once my h4 arrives in the mail.

I will have a go at switching the globe after work.