Recommendations for photo storage site?

PeterAllen

I have 100s of photos - mainly 60s-70s motor racing - on Imageshack but they now want a fee. I'm not so much opposed to the fee but I don't like giving my credit card details over the net to such sites.

Any suggestions for free sites, Flickr, Photobucket, etc?

I use Flickr and find it quite good, i also use Imgur for quick one off uploads when i need to do a witty picture reply to some n00b on other forums  ;D

+1 on both.

Flickr is more of a photography site while Imgur is an image hosting site. Both will serve you well Peter.

• Administrators

I use Google Picasa which has now become Google+ albums. What I like about it is that I auto sync photos from my phone with it and don't even have to manually upload it.

Inserting pics into posts requires a bit of HTML knowledge but perhaps I can do a short video tutorial if others would like that?

Don't be surprised if other sites start going to a payed model. They can't run these big sites for free, so you either need to pay a small fee, or be inundated with advertising.

Don't worry about giving out credit card details. If something dodgy does happen (unlikely), your credit card provider covers you. I would be more worried signing up for any site - even this forum - and all of them using the same email and password. 1 site gets hacked and your whole online identity could be compromised.

I use Google Picasa which has now become Google+ albums. What I like about it is that I auto sync photos from my phone with it and don't even have to manually upload it.

Thats all good until you take some drunken dickpics and accidentally upload them for the world to see...  ;D

not that any of us mature people would do that...  :P

• Administrators

LOL, with the auto-backup you can choose if you want it to be visible right away or not. So if you moonlight as a stripper it won't be an issue unless you decide to take an additional step and share those photos.

Inserting pics into posts requires a bit of HTML knowledge but perhaps I can do a short video tutorial if others would like that?

Yeah sounds good!

Oh and i personally use Flickr.com for my photography needs...boasts 1 Terabyte of space...that's like huge!...no joke

I have 200+ high file size images on there and its not even pushing .2% of my profile limit. Plus has editing features to select default viewing of images and selecting image for your eyes only.

Mind you, from what your saying Gav240z  i like the idea of G+ albums with the syncing. Handy and doesn't store any extra space on your phone once its in the cloud.

I also like the security of having a physical disk to store on as well. With teh cost of storage becoming ridiculously cheap these days, get a 1TB or 2TB HDD for less than $100 and dump all the photos on that and put on the shelf. When SSD drives become cheap throw it all on them.

I have yet to see a cyber attack succeed on a drive that's sitting on my book shelf.......

• Moderators

I also like the security of having a physical disk to store on as well. With teh cost of storage becoming ridiculously cheap these days, get a 1TB or 2TB HDD for less than $100 and dump all the photos on that and put on the shelf. When SSD drives become cheap throw it all on them.

I have yet to see a cyber attack succeed on a drive that's sitting on my book shelf.......

I do the same, but leave the drive at my folks. I just feel safer with it being off site. But we live in a bushfire zone.

My phone is smart enough. I can call a number and actually speak to someone - I bet you young whipper snippers who think phones are for storing 'selfies' didn't know phones could do that.

I'd still like to know how I can get the images to be smaller (like I could on Imageshack) so I don't have to scroll across the page to see the whole image.

PS. Tim - I got some paint on the GTO - I'll send you some pics.

• Administrators

I'd still like to know how I can get the images to be smaller (like I could on Imageshack) so I don't have to scroll across the page to see the whole image.

That is actually a little tricky to do over multiple layouts and devices but it is possible. A software upgrade would make it a lot easier though for everyone.

• Moderators

My phone is smart enough. I can call a number and actually speak to someone - I bet you young whipper snippers who think phones are for storing 'selfies' didn't know phones could do that.

Love it, I too use my phone for phone calls, so very retro of me :)