Toyota Rack

While surfing I came across an interesting obscure build thread from the U.S. showing a Toyota rack being used in a S30 conversion.

The builder wont disclose what model Toyota the rack came from.

The pictures attached have been reversed so that identification of the rack as a RHD unit is easier, now the $67 question...............

Which one of you Autophiles can identify the rack in the photos as a possible new alternative?

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023745559_thumb.jpg

What a jerk! I hate it when people do this.

What does someone have to gain by not sharing their knowledge (I understand in racing there is a decent reason).

Sounds interesting, looks as though it is a much simpler conversion than others that have been used.

I agree,

But ones born every day, you will see that he relocated the drivers side hanger about 50mm across, not a big deal, but otherwise it does seem a nice fit.

Only car I have come across from pics on the net available that it may be from is a MR2 at this stage.

Keep hunting guys ;-)

Cheers

John

That is a sw20 mr2 steering rack. I'm almost 100% certain as i remember what it looked like from having replaced one on my previous 95 gts import.

They did revise it along the way as i remember the bathurt N/A 3sge's and the GT 1990-94 import also had a different rack than the later models due to revisions because of the snap oversteer that MR2's were known for.

That is a sw20 mr2 steering rack. I'm almost 100% certain as i remember what it looked like from having replaced one on my previous 95 gts import.

They did revise it along the way as i remember the bathurt N/A 3sge's and the GT 1990-94 import also had a different rack than the later models due to revisions because of the snap oversteer that MR2's were known for.

Give that man a cigar !

• Moderators

I will see if we have one in stock tomorrow and if we do will get a photo.

Was just speaking to my brother that was over for dinner who just happens to be a Toyota master technician and he reckons it may be a SW20 rack but could also be a late 80's/early 90's Camry, cressida or hiace van which all look very similar with interchanging parts.. Apparently the later model SW20 Mr2's changed to electric steering which complicates things further.

I will go looking at wreckers and see what i find. Do you have any more pics John?

I will be happy to fund and be the Guinea pig for this  :)

While surfing I came across an interesting obscure build thread from the U.S. showing a Toyota rack being used in a S30 conversion.

The builder wont disclose what model Toyota the rack came from.

The pictures attached have been reversed so that identification of the rack as a RHD unit is easier, now the $67 question...............

Which one of you Autophiles can identify the rack in the photos as a possible new alternative?

Cheers

John

Found one on Evil Bay tonight

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/-JDM-SW20-MR2-Rack-Power-Steering-Tie-Rods-Toyota-MR2-/380865075598

If Im correct I remember you being in St Alban's? Im in Taylors Lakes

If so Id love to catch up and help out so I know what mistakes not to make LOL

As for the electric part........I have read that these units used an electric rather than belt driven pump, see link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MR2-SW20-ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-/181322200708

Cheers

John 

Ok Ive just come back from seeing my mates down at BIP Toyota wreckers as i was nearby. And spent an hour picking their brains and going through their pile of over 100 Toyota steering racks.

I can confirm it is not from a sv21 Camry, ae92/101 corolla, st185 celica tarago or hiace. They did echo what my brother said about all late 80's/early 90's racks looking the same. Later model Toyota's have different mounting with a ringlet and a bolt rather than the bush and clamp, like our datsuns. Some were thicker and others were longer. I based the approx measurements by the scale of the rotator head to the shaft etc and just by the way they look.

One of the boys spotted out on the pics that Sirpent provided noting that the fluid bungs on the middle shaft of the rack was offset and that all the ones we looked in the pile were parallel to each other. He ended up going through their archived pictures of their old racks they sold and it matches the sw20 mr2 rack with the motor head rotated 180 degrees and new lines as the mr2 has the lines running underneath the crossmember while in the picture it is on top. I have put in an order for one for $105+$25 for pump and lines and they said if its not the one they will refund me. So fingers crossed. :D

If Im correct I remember you being in St Alban's? Im in Taylors Lakes

If so Id love to catch up and help out so I know what mistakes not to make LOL

Cheers

John

Yes John i'm in Kings Park. Lets see what happens with the rack ive ordered. I've also got a spare 260z crossmember here so we can mock it up. I would love to figure this out and offer the public a cheap power steering package using local parts from wreckers or at least a tutorial.

Would this nearly revolutionise the power steering vs stock debate?

I know that there'd be a ton of guys running wheels to fill out flares that would be desperate for this.

Found this comment on our own forum posted by Katokid;

"I had read that someone had used an MR2 rack (second generation SW20 model) and did find one and thought it was a chance as the inner tie rod pivot to pivot distance was exactly the same as the Z rack...but fitment would be a problem as the piston inlets and outlets were in the wrong location, if you could move these the MR2 rack would be a good alternative."

Not sure what he is talking about, perhaps some people can enlighten?

What sort of extra modification would be required to get one of these racks to fit up? (obviously new pneumatic lines)

It makes sense that they'd run an addition electric motor to power the steering unit rather than run it off the engine

(would be a bloody long belt going from the rear of the car to the front!) I guess this would be quite beneficial to us

as it should be more flexible in its fitment.

Oh one last bit of excitement. seeing as though the pump is driven by an electric motor.... put a switch in the cabin!

Want to go sporty? flick it off, want to park? On it goes! I have also heard that it is possible to adjust the pressure

in these so you can have the amount of power steering you desire. Man i love adjustability!

"I had read that someone had used an MR2 rack (second generation SW20 model) and did find one and thought it was a chance as the inner tie rod pivot to pivot distance was exactly the same as the Z rack...but fitment would be a problem as the piston inlets and outlets were in the wrong location"

I believe David was refering to his own specialty build where he has fitted the "M3 BMW L6"

I may be wrong........................Oh David, calling David, can you clarify?

It would be easier. You can already get them for $1500+ postage from here

http://zpowersteering.com/store/

I know someone who is using one and it works well and i saw one for sale on ebay aus a few weeks back that went for $1300ish.

But money is money and if i can find a cheaper alternative i will, and if it can help others who are on a budget even better.

I believe David was referring to his own specialty build where he has fitted the "M3 BMW L6"

I may be wrong........................Oh David, calling David, can you clarify?

Hi John.

Yep that is from my PS thread.

The image you posted doesn't look like an SW20 rack to me. The reason I didn't use an SW20 rack is that the port which sends fluid to the left hand side of the rack piston was right in the middle of the left hand S30 rack mounting bracket. Not a big deal but would mean fabricating a new left hand mounting bracket which I didn't want to do from and engineering approval perspective.

The WRX rack works a treat, Ive driven Jamo's and its feel is as good as anything factory, Why frig around with anything else if you want to go hydraulic?

For you I would just go with the electrically assisted rack and be done with it. They seem like a good thing.

DF

I c