Datsun 240/260z WANTED

Foster

Hey guys, I'm looking for a Datsun 240/260z pre June/July 1975 model. Don't mind a bit of a project as long as it's not too far gone although preferably manual, straight with minimal to no rust. Not fussed about matching engine numbers and will travel for the right price. Don't have a concourse condition budget although am considering all options and offers.

Email or message me on: f.melluso93@gmail.com    0458638381

Cheers in advance, Foster.

We are seeing so many Wanted posts on here, and due to the reducing limited supply, prices for cars are rising.

That is to be expected, however, we get many who feel they will get a good one, very cheaply, it sometimes happens, but getting rare.

As in many past posts, if you are on lower $$ budgets, look at a 260 2+2 as an entry level car, then work up towards the more desirable 2 seaters.

Mine is for sale $45k negotiable. Pic on left.

• Administrators

Yep another wanted add. Seems like 1 every few days or at least 1 a week.

Many are being snapped up sight unseen

Personally if I had a couple of 240z lying around I'd wait a few years to sell them. I'd say you'll get double their value now.

• Administrators

Yes but having said that how many 260z for sale are at that level of refinement and period correct? I can't recall the last 260 2 seated that was as original as that!

Ledge advertised another which wasn't original but high end at 45k and that sold quickly considering asking price.

Even in the US I've seen prices start to move quickly. I saw a 73 240z sell for 17k which for the US is high. Early cars are getting harder to find even in their market.

I've stated that I don't have a "concourse" budget as I am looking for a PROJECT, not one that has been restored to the nines slapped with a greedy price tag. Forums like these should be encouraging enthusiasts  to breathe life into these dying breed of Z's, and everyone searching for a car should wait for the right deal that suits them.

Like I said I'm not looking for a showcase condition car, although I have a strong enough budget to be searching the sale outlets for a working condition 240/260z that needs a fair bit of TLC.

So what is your budget ?.........that will give us a better idea on what you will get for your $$$ .

BTW - I must be one of those "Greedy" sellers as mine was "restored to the nines" and slapped with a greedy price tag of $35k..........hmmm maybe I was not too greedy given that is sold within days of offered for sale ::)

Alan

Wasn't referring to you Alan, or any of the members of viczcar for that matter. I'm more so referring to Edward Lee's type sellers. For the sake of negotiation/haggling with potential sellers I didn't want to mention a specific price. Although if it'll give you guys a perspective, I'm looking at spending a maximum of $15000. That being said, I am open to looking at Zeds that need a bit of TLC which are selling less than my budget. Or is everyone saying that there are no more Zeds selling for under 35k?

No such thing as a greedy vendor, a buyer will pay a price that suits his/her budget if the item is good and that is what they want, they will be happy to pay the price to secure the item if they want it enough rarity plus supply and demand will also add to the price if they see benefit in it. lynton  8)

I'm agreeing 100% with you Lynton and cheers for the input. I'm glad someone has shun light on the situation.

Alan's Zed was worth it's sale value, hence the reason for its quick sale as there was a significant demand.

Although there is a reason why Edward Lee's Zed hasn't been sold in its 6months it's been up for sale, the company has a negative reputation and inspectors have already seen that he is lying about many things in regards to the condition/history.

That is who I'm talking about when I stated greedy vendors. While overpriced Datsuns may be benificial for those that own one or more and are trying to make a profit. Though for someone trying to buy the car of their dreams, it's difficult for us to enter the market when we get slammed for having what is considered a 'low budget'.

Like you said Lynton, I'm willing to pay 15k. I'm not expecting the best for that money, I'm not expecting a rust bucket either. I'm willing to pay what the cars worth if it matches that budget.

Kind of a Built not Bought kind of guy and hence why I wouldn't mind somewhat of a project.

Sorry fellas for the essay  ;D

• Administrators

Edward Lee's is actually a registered member on this forum aka 'Doudous'.

If you're referring to his Kalahari Tan 240z, I think it's worth $40k I suspect he's not in a hurry to sell it or at least not really trying too hard to get rid of it.

But if you are referring to the Silver S31 Fairlady Z then that's another story. I haven't seen the Silver car in person, but I don't think it's worth the asking price listed on Gumtree.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord/cars-vans-utes/1971-datsun-240z-sports-orange-5-speed-manual-coupe/1020601892

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord/cars-vans-utes/1975-datsun-260z-fairlady-z-silver-manual-coupe/1030155192

I personally wouldn't buy a toothbrush from any car dealer on Parramatta road, some feedback from RX-7 owners can be found here:

http://www.fdrx7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158

Jimbo on here posted a couple of 240z's he had for sale the other day.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=summary;u=20

Although for the life of me I can't find the post....might be a good idea to drop him a PM though?

Just a thought. No doubt you've looked at this??

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2454062&Cr=2

May get it for what you want to pay. Originally asked 19k.

I believe each Zed currently on Carpoint is true to value if not a little underpriced especially when you get into the 25k+ market as it would cost alot more to do to these cars what has already been done. The ones under 20k, may require a little bit of TLC, or as a project, some personalisation. ie. wheels & tyres, or paint, or engine work, or interior, or all of the above.

Either way, the ones under 20k will never be the same value as, for example, this:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2659195&Cr=0

The engine work alone would almost cover the difference, not to mention the paint work and then there is the suspension resto also. A set of wheels and tyres would almost finish it.

I'm agreeing 100% with you Lynton and cheers for the input. I'm glad someone has shun light on the situation.

Alan's Zed was worth it's sale value, hence the reason for its quick sale as there was a significant demand.

Although there is a reason why Edward Lee's Zed hasn't been sold in its 6months it's been up for sale, the company has a negative reputation and inspectors have already seen that he is lying about many things in regards to the condition/history.

That is who I'm talking about when I stated greedy vendors. While overpriced Datsuns may be benificial for those that own one or more and are trying to make a profit. Though for someone trying to buy the car of their dreams, it's difficult for us to enter the market when we get slammed for having what is considered a 'low budget'.

Like you said Lynton, I'm willing to pay 15k. I'm not expecting the best for that money, I'm not expecting a rust bucket either. I'm willing to pay what the cars worth if it matches that budget.

Kind of a Built not Bought kind of guy and hence why I wouldn't mind somewhat of a project.

Sorry fellas for the essay  ;D

• Administrators

Only people I know in Queensland are the people on this good forum ;). Maybe ask 1 of the Queensland members to go have a look for you? I'm sure for the right amount of XXXX someone would go take a look ;).

• Moderators

Already rang the seller, awaiting some photos on interior. Anyone you know in QLD Gav that'd be willing to inspect the car on my behalf? I'm considering buying a plane ticket.

Gidday,

Flights are cheap, very cheap, he who hesitates...........

Good luck, hope it checks out OK

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

Gidday,

Flights are cheap, very cheap, he who hesitates...........

Good luck, hope it checks out OK

Cheers

PB

As Ledge said to me, it is only metal it can be fixed. Buying sight unseen worst case it is bent like a banana and very rusty. But at that price you could probably sell it on and loose a small amount of money.

It all comes down to your expectations but many cars like this don't hang around long for those on the fence. :)

Don't put too much pressure on the guy :P

There is some truth to what you say though, if you don't jump on a good deal someone else will and often very quickly. I lost out on a great deal with just a couple of hours of hesitation!

• Moderators

Don't put too much pressure on the guy :P

There is some truth to what you say though, if you don't jump on a good deal someone else will and often very quickly. I lost out on a great deal with just a couple of hours of hesitation!

Good point George, I hadn't looked at that way.

I was just suggesting that for the cost of a flight you will know what the car is like, rather than wonder was it the one that got away ?

Waiting on sellers reply. From your Z car resto experience, what can you see needs to be done to get that car into registerable condition? And chassis rust sounds scary but is it an easy fix?