Need gearbox help plz

Jules260z

help  

1 member has voted

1. 1. help

• gearbox
    • synchros

hi all

i got a 74 260z and she always crunches in second so i think the synchros have gone and the clutch bites right near the top, prob worn our right?. well i was wondering what do i do with my gearbox, do i get synchros put in? do i rebuild? or should i just get myself a new gearbox? and if so what one should i go for that wouldnt need to much stuffing round to put in ????

thanks

Sounds like your clutch is worn out mate, if it starts to slip then you need to replace it quick.

Sorry, can't really help with gearbox as I don't know the going price for one. I'd say rebuild it, unless you can find a cheap one. That way you'll have a gearbox which shouldn't need pulling apart for a while, again, it depends on price and what money you have available to spend on it.

Cheers,

Rob

I am rebuilding mine atm.

It crunched into second and started to slip with any more than half throttle.

You can actually re-use the synchros from the 3rd/4th gears and put them onto ur 1st/2nd.

this makes it easy as you can get a cheap second hand gearbox that will have worn out 1st/2nd synchros but the 3rd/4th should be fine.

While you have the gearbox out it will be worthwile checking to see what has caused your clutch to wear...

In my case it was a cracked flywheel.

It could also be a rear main seal that has dripped oil onto the pressure plate for you?

cheers,

Jack

74 260's are supposed to have the "ideal" ratio from what people say so it miight be worth repairing. I've also got a 74 260 although when my 2nd gear synchro's started playing up I gave the box to a mate and installed a 280z 5 speed that I picked up for $80.00, works a treat!

Sulio

mine had/has the same problem. ordered new synchros from black dragon in amercia but when they came they were the wrong sort, they needed to be scintered metal but they weren't. Ended up using 2 or 3 boxes to make 1 good one but it still crunchs a bit in 2nd. Just for availibilty of parts i would consider the s13 5 speed coversion.

also for anyone rebuilding... the lock nut on the end of the shaft that holds alll the gears on is a one use item so it is worth buying a new one (about$12-15) when putting it all back together. The shop rebuilding my box kept using teh same nut and within a month it would undo and i would lose 5th and reverse etc...

Lou Mondello (Datsun Roadster Guru) has Synchro and coupling sleeves in stock at almost half the price of Nissan Australia parts (he imports from the US).

Lou is also a gun with gear box rebuilds (240 flange box is a Sports 2000 Roadster box with a longer rear housing- 260 box is even easier to refresh)

Lou aslo does clutch work and suspesion upgrades (King spring and KYB gas shock)

Give  Lou a call

03 9555 9591