Early 240z Console Parts...

gav240z

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

Just putting up a wanted add in case someone has these bits laying around. I'm getting closer to finishing the restoration of my center console and looking to see if I can track down some missing / broken bits.

Looking for hand throttle knob.(The missing 1 in this photo).

IMG_20131219_173911.jpg

and ideally the micro-screw that goes with it (since I've no idea where to source another? Perhaps a mobile phone spare parts dealer?).

Ashtray Lid

IMG_20131219_174305.jpg

Mine has already split into a million pieces and been glued back together. So looking for 1 that's in better shape if possible?

Choke / Throttle Surround Garnish / Finisher piece (no idea what's it's actual name is).

IMG_20131219_171954.jpg

Maybe you have 1 broken in the top half?

I've got a couple of leads on complete console's but just seeing if people may have this odd pieces laying around and not been using them...

Let me know what ya got?

• Administrators

Now that's where a 3D printer would come in handy.

Ahhh yes a 3D printer will be the bomb once prices come down on them. I'm sure it will make all our lives easier when it comes to recreating that broken plastic trim or part.

Until then I was looking at this...

Watch at the end how they recreate a plastic tab. I was thinking I could use a similar technique to construct the missing corner of my console trim and then using a dremel carefully cut out, sand and sculpture the piece... that's a lot of work I know, but so far I've not seen this piece on eBay or Yahoo! auctions anywhere.

• Administrators

Nick I think neither were used on the AU equipped market cars. 1 appears to be for rear demister, the other I suspect for parker lights found on Japanese models but I'm not entirely sure.

Hi Gav,

came across this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240z-Choke-Knob-for-Interior-Console-NEW-OEM-Nissan-/281255242417?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417c1e6ab1#ht_958wt_981

it is a very expensive knob though! Ebay US will be your best bet to find these things, dollar heading south atm though which doesn't help :(

• Administrators

Yeah it is the hand throttle knob I'm missing which has a different symbol on it. I'll tidy up the choke knob.

@Nick there was no wires or backing plate. The console trim piece has a couple of tabs to fix the switches to though. I can take a photo of the underside of the piece if you like?

• Administrators

Nick how is this? HS30 01024 this photo is from. - Thanks to Lindsay from Zshop for sharing it with me.

PC211931.JPG

Note: Both switches are blanked off it would seem on AU market cars.

@Brabham you can see the hand throttle knob is different to the choke 1 also ;)

Also notice how even though the interior has been so well looked after that the console still has those hairline cracks in it.  :'(

This photo is from 'Kats' Fairlady Z 432

http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/ (I love his cars and attention to detail).

Z432console037.jpg

Note: The gear boot is the same as the 1 in my 240z, but I'm missing the plastic washer piece that sits above the boot and below the gear knob.

Not the best photo but a photo of Len Brennan's first 240z.

240+blue+interior.jpg

Finally another reference photo (again a Fairlady Z 432)

51198d1329101642-dawn-rising-sun-pretty-cool-automobile-mag-article-fairlady-z432-nissan-fairlady-z432-steering-wheel.jpg

Note: No laces on the gear boot (like later Z's).

I also came across this gem, while looking all of that stuff up.

(what a car!)

This is the spare knob I had laying around, Gav. Not sure whether it's the one you're after though since I've got a '73. I do have an early model radio though so I'm not sure.

CAM00305_zps5b8c54a3.jpg

• Administrators

@Nick no problem glad to help as always, by the way are you the same Nick who build the RB30 Turbo Blue 240z in the 90s, same car as featured in Street Machine?

That car was a big influence on me as a 18 year old kid.

@Brabham - the hand throttle is a primitive form of cruise control. It's really a lethal device to be honest. You pull it out and it cranks the SU carb throttle open so you can cruise along the highway at a constant speed. But you don't have any electronics to keep you at a constant speed or disable it when you hit the brake. Sounds fun huh?

@Adam - thanks for the photo, that is another Choke knob design - not sure what year Z that is from? I feel like it's a 260z 1, but open to correction. Unfortunately it's not the 'droid I'm looking for'. ;)

*Edit George replied while I was typing.

• Administrators

And... perhaps this machine will come to our rescue...

I'm going to ask around at Google if we have 1 of these machines somewhere, I'm heading to San Francisco end of Feb so maybe I can try and get access to 1 there?

I think we had 1 in the Dublin Google office, at the time I didn't know what to use it for... now I know exactly what to use it for but I've already moved office *damn it*.

• Administrators

@Nck - I found this photo.

DSCN1211.JPG

Which is a close up of the center console trim piece and the blanking plates.

I believe US models had 'optional' rear defogger switches (probably much like the AU cars) and the parker switch was used in the home market cars.

• Administrators

Hey Steve, let me know what you want for it, the console that is? And if you have a good roof skin let me know also.

PS: I was looking at your Dash restoration thread. I was going to PM you about it anyway.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/interior-s30/20818-240z-dash-removal.html#post177528

So I'll send 1 in a minute.

Might add the details to this thread here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,1618.0.html